Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the genuinely incontinent

soggyboy

Default Questions for the genuinely incontinent

I would like to ask a couple of questions if I may. They have probably been asked before, but I'm gonna ask anyway!

Now I'm not IC myself, but like most here have read about it as it relates to our general interests. I did experience some mild urgency/holding issues after a minor back injury for a month or so a few years back, but thankfully it wasn't permanent. I do understand the difference between Urge and Stress IC issues, and it's the Urge IC that I have questions about.

I don't want it to appear that this is a questionnaire that everyone has to tick off, but if anyone wants to address even one or two points then if be grateful. I realise that there is no "standard" answers, I'm just interested in people's different experiences.

1: Bladder capacity before you go. With Urge IC, does your bladder ever really completely fill up? Can you get really full before you lose control, or does the IC kick in when you're not at full capacity?

2: How much notice do you get before you realise that disaster is imminent? I understand this will be different for everybody, but is it like "I think I'll need to use the bathroom shortly," or "Oh my God, I need to go NOW!" Like from when you get the first minor urge to the "too late" stage.

3: Using your diaper. Are you prone to trying to hold on until you get to a toilet, knowing you are to a degree "protected," or do you just give in and use the diaper anyway?
    This is probably the question I'm most interested with.
    I read a lot of stories on here where supposedly people with genuine IC issues, (not just AB/DLs) will say something like "I had to pee in my diaper while shopping" or "My diaper leaked on the bus" etc. and have wondered how much of this diaper use is necessary, or how much is for the sake of convenience?
    I know if I was getting to the pee pee dance, leg crossing stage while wearing a diaper, then I would use it, but for me it would be part of my "playtime" and not something I could avoid.

Which leads to the next related question....

4: Do you ever pre-empt a genuine accident by pre-wetting on purpose where you can control it?
    For example, you are shopping, and the first minor urge hits you. Will you deliberately wet to relieve the pressure before the build up results in a bigger, genuine accident?

Also, any other comments or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Soggyboy

I'm new to the board so if they've been asked, I don't know! But...

1: Bladder capacity before you go. With Urge IC, does your bladder ever really completely fill up? Can you get really full before you lose control, or does the IC kick in when you're not at full capacity?

It's random. I've had urge IC and so little comes out that it's comical. If I get a full bladder and don't have an IC event, I can hold on forever.

2: How much notice do you get before you realise that disaster is imminent? I understand this will be different for everybody, but is it like "I think I'll need to use the bathroom shortly," or "Oh my God, I need to go NOW!" Like from when you get the first minor urge to the "too late" stage.

The feeling is all the same. It's a sharp pain that says you better find something NOW!!! The amount of time I have to reach can be anywhere from nearly instantaneous to maybe a few minutes. I've literally been brushing my teeth in the bathroom when the urge hit me and I just went before I could even turn around and sit on the toilet just 3 feet away. The pain tends to come and go every couple minutes until I go (and the urge sometimes stays with me after I go as well).

3: Using your diaper. Are you prone to trying to hold on until you get to a toilet, knowing you are to a degree "protected," or do you just give in and use the diaper anyway?
    This is probably the question I'm most interested with.
    I read a lot of stories on here where supposedly people with genuine IC issues, (not just AB/DLs) will say something like "I had to pee in my diaper while shopping" or "My diaper leaked on the bus" etc. and have wondered how much of this diaper use is necessary, or how much is for the sake of convenience?
    I know if I was getting to the pee pee dance, leg crossing stage while wearing a diaper, then I would use it, but for me it would be part of my "playtime" and not something I could avoid.

I'll admit that it can be a slight convenience (during movies). But that doesn't mean I want to sit in a wet diaper for hours and smell like pee in public. I'll pee in it at home if I'm in the middle of something that I'm focused on. Other than that, I almost always try to find a toilet.

4: Do you ever pre-empt a genuine accident by pre-wetting on purpose where you can control it?
    For example, you are shopping, and the first minor urge hits you. Will you deliberately wet to relieve the pressure before the build up results in a bigger, genuine accident?

No. Can't say I've ever used my diaper to prevent me from using my diaper more, lol! For me, if an urge hits me I'm going to wet really quickly. It's not a situation where I say "Oh, I have to pee, I can pee now on purpose so I don't have more pee to put in it when I have an accident". If I can make it to the toilet, I will.

I like this thread, I've always wanted to understand what its like for people with genuine IC especially urgeIC. I've never really been to a point where i couldn't hold on any longer(and i have had to pee like crazy bad before), and ive never had a wetting accident.

soggyboy

Thanks Pixieperfect! Great answers and thanks for sharing!

I usually have anywhere from 20 seconds to a minit to make it to the bathroom. My bladder has about a quarter of the copasity it had before I became IC. On long car trips I will purposefully use my diaper if we are not near a washroom.

I am genuinely incontinent and wear pads all the time now. Sometimes I feel when I leak urine other times I don't. At night I always sleep through my wetting and wake up soaked in the morning. Sometimes during the day I feel the need to urinate but have only a short time before I cannot control it. In these situations I usually just wet my pad and change leter.

I have no warning or feeling. My nerves were damaged. I can't feel or sense anything.
    It's like a steady drip when I stand or am walking.
    I just change pads every 2-3 hours. Or if I have a pull up on I know I can go about 4 hours with that before i need to change.

Jamessmith

I have no warning sometimes I don't even know I m wet I either check the indicator and look at the diaper I m also fecal ic. So I know wen I had a bowel movement.

I tend to leak constantly, so I've gotten to the point that I have no idea when I'm peeing. Obviously I can tell when I have because my pad swells up - I've kind of figured out how full my nappy can get before it needs changing, and I always aim to change before I'm at that point to avert those disasters. It's not always as easy as it sounds, and many times I've ended up with awkward half moon marks...

I wet the bed; I'm not incontinent when awake. But as to your last question: I could not wet voluntarily. If my bladder were bursting, I suppose it would flood out involuntarily, but it would have to literally be bursting out.

My wife sleeps all cuddled up in my arms. When I've woken up with a full bladder, I think about wetting the pad rather than disturbing her sleep by getting up. But I simply cannot do it.