Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EMDR Therapy for PTSD

Default EMDR Therapy for PTSD

I've recently started seeing a therapist to address some underlying anger problems I have that I believe is rooted in PTSD. The kind of therapy she specializes in is EMDR. apparently they've had quite a bit of success using it for people with PTSD.

Who here has had success with it? I talked with her some about my diaper stuff too and it sounded as though we might address some old triggers for this as well.

What's it like? I'm still in the intake/planning stage and we haven't actually started working on the therapy piece yet.

Thanks

I'm a psychologist who uses EMDR therapy as my primary treatment psychotherapy and I've also personally had EMDR therapy for anxiety, panic, grief, and “small t” trauma. As a client, EMDR therapy worked extremely well and also really fast. As an EMDR therapist, and in my role as a facilitator who trains other therapists in EMDR therapy (certified by the EMDR International Assoc. and trained by the EMDR Institute) I have used EMDR successfully with panic disorders, childhood sexual/physical/emotional abuse and neglect, single incident trauma and complex/chronic PTSD, anxiety, depression, grief, body image, phobias, distressing memories, bad dreams and more.

To understand more about EMDR therapy, it's really crucial that the therapist spends enough time in one of the initial phases (Phase 2) in EMDR therapy that involves preparing for memory processing or desensitization (memory processing or desensitization - phases 3-6 - is often referred to as "EMDR" which is actually an 8-phase psychotherapy). In this phase resources are "front-loaded" so that you have a "floor" or "container" to help with processing the really hard stuff. In Phase 2 you learn a lot of great coping strategies and self-soothing techniques which you can use during EMDR processing or anytime you feel the need. You learn how to access a “Safe or Calm Place” which you can use at ANY TIME during EMDR processing (or on your own) if it feels scary, or too emotional, too intense. So if you start feeling overwhelmed or that it's too intense, you can ground yourself (with your therapist's help in session, and on your own between sessions) and feel safe enough to continue the work. In my practice, after the Phase 2 work lets us know that my patient is safe enough and able to cope with any emotion and/or physical sensation both during and between EMDR processing sessions, I often suggest we try a much less intense memory first if there is one that happened BEFORE the trauma(s). If there isn't one, then I suggest we start developmentally with the least disturbing memory and work our way "up" to the most disturbing event(s).

Grounding exercises are indispensable in everyday life, and really essential in stressful times. Anyone can use some of the techniques in Dr. Shapiro's new book "Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR." Dr. Shapiro is the founder/creator of EMDR therapy but all the proceeds from the book go to two charities: the EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Program and the EMDR Research Foundation). Anyway, the book is terrific. It's an easy read, helps you understand what's "pushing" your feelings and behavior, helps you connect the dots from past experiences to current life. Also teaches readers lots of helpful techniques that can be used immediately and that are also used during EMDR therapy to calm disturbing thoughts and feelings.

One of the key assets of EMDR is that YOU, the client, are in control NOW, even though you likely were not during past events. You NEVER need re-live an experience or go into great detail, ever! You NEVER need to go through the entire memory. YOU can decide to keep the lights (or the alternating sounds and/or tactile pulsars, or the waving hand, or hand/knee tapping - all forms of bilateral stimulation that should be decided by the client for the client's comfort) going, or stop them, whichever helps titrate – measure and adjust the balance or “dose“ of the processing. During EMDR processing there are regular “breaks” and you can control when and how many but the therapist should be stopping the bilateral stimulation every 25-50 or so passes of the lights to ask you to take a deep breath and to say just a bit of what you’re noticing. The breaks help keep a “foot in the present” while you’re processing the past. Again, and I can’t say this enough, YOU ARE IN CHARGE so YOU can make the process tolerable. And having a therapist who is experienced in the EMDR techniques helps make it the gentlest and safest way to neutralize bad life experiences and build resources.

Pacing and dosing are critically important. So if you ever feel that EMDR processing is too intense then it might be time to go back over all the resources that should be used both IN session and BETWEEN sessions. Your therapist can use a variety of techniques to make painful processing less painful, like suggesting you turn the scene in your mind to black and white, lower the volume, or, erect a bullet-proof glass wall between you and the painful scene, and so forth. There are a lot of these kinds of "interventions" that ease the processing. They are called "cognitive interweaves" that your therapist can use, and that also can help bring your adult self's perspective into the work (or even an imaginary Adult Perspective). Such interweaves are based around issues of Safety, Responsibility, and Choice. So therapist questions like "are you safe now?" or "who was responsible? and "do you have more choices now?" are all very helpful in moving the processing along.

In addition to my therapy practice, I roam the web looking for EMDR therapy discussions, try to answer questions about it posted by clients/patients, and respond to the critics out there. It's not a cure-all therapy. However, it really is an extraordinary psychotherapy and its results last. In the hands of a really experienced EMDR therapist, it's the most gentle way of working through disturbing experiences.

I assume, then, that your interest in coming here is strictly professional. How did you find this forum and have you posted to similar other venues around the net? Curious, I guess.

Thanks for the response. Helpful overview. How long are the sessions once into the phase 3-6?

Default Emdr

Quote Originally Posted by cm90210 View Post
    Thanks for the response. Helpful overview. How long are the sessions once into the phase 3-6?
    It's recommended they be 80-90 minutes, but depending on the person, it can be as short as 45 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewgdfw View Post
    I assume, then, that your interest in coming here is strictly professional. How did you find this forum and have you posted to similar other venues around the net? Curious, I guess.
    "Strictly professional" sounds a bit cold to me... so the answer is yes and no. I am interested in people's experiences with EMDR therapy, and generally interested in people, period! As I said, I'm often surfing the net for EMDR discussions since there's a lot of misinformation out there, as well as folks who aren't getting really good help with whatever issues or problems they have. That usually makes me sad, curious, compassionate, and thus prompts me to respond.

so what is EMDR? Why do I feel I just read an infomercial? why does it sound like a scam
    and just how did you find this discussion? Last I knew the discussions here were not open to public google inquiries.

- - - Updated - - -

I take that back, discussions here are available to search on google, thats not comforting

- - - Updated - - -

am I the only one that gets a creepy feeling about this whole thread? it looks fabricated to sell dr shapiro's book on His method.
    And its a bit creepy that a psychologist just shows up in the group and has no interest other than pushing her method to help deal with PTSD, this is borderline spam.

- - - Updated - - -

never in my life have I seen a psychologist do anything for anyone else, unless it was for money, never just out of their empathy for other people suffering, or take the time to randomly surf the internet looking for new customers to sell their method too, the only people who do that sort of thing are scammers, Im deeply disturbed by this. I was hoping this was a group for AB DL and Incontinent people, this person is none of these things and is just selling another get fixed and read this book salesmen, offering more info to help boost sales to people who are vulnerable, any psychologist that reaches out on sites like this should be heavily questioned, the motives are not very believable, a real psychologist is usually pretty busy, unless they live in a city and there is to many psychologist, or they have had their license taken away.

I can't say that this person is a scammer, or a hoax, I just advise taking anything this person says very carefully it is my opinion that things don't add up and this person is at the very least suspicious and does not really belong in this group. But that is just my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Read Dr Pattijane's comments again, they look like the kind of stuff that a scammer would just copy and paste to a discussion board, at no time is there any direct reference to this group, or the folks in it, its all very very neutral and generic.

- - - Updated - - -

her use of capital letters,,,, its spam marketing.... DANGER DANGER DANGER

- - - Updated - - -

Im suppose to believe that a 67 year old who already works in a busy practice, takes her free time to search for dissuasions online to help explain the system better? (she didn't) But she did make a great pitch for her product.
    this link explains the process better, its cognitive like therapy with some flashy lights and cheap gizmos, Im not impressed.
    http://www.emdrhap.org/content/what-is-emdr/

Quote Originally Posted by Aby View Post
    so what is EMDR? Why do I feel I just read an infomercial? why does it sound like a scam
    and just how did you find this discussion? Last I knew the discussions here were not open to public google inquiries.

- - - Updated - - -

I take that back, discussions here are available to search on google, thats not comforting

- - - Updated - - -

am I the only one that gets a creepy feeling about this whole thread? it looks fabricated to sell dr shapiro's book on His method.
    And its a bit creepy that a psychologist just shows up in the group and has no interest other than pushing her method to help deal with PTSD, this is borderline spam.

- - - Updated - - -

never in my life have I seen a psychologist do anything for anyone else, unless it was for money, never just out of their empathy for other people suffering, or take the time to randomly surf the internet looking for new customers to sell their method too, the only people who do that sort of thing are scammers, Im deeply disturbed by this. I was hoping this was a group for AB DL and Incontinent people, this person is none of these things and is just selling another get fixed and read this book salesmen, offering more info to help boost sales to people who are vulnerable, any psychologist that reaches out on sites like this should be heavily questioned, the motives are not very believable, a real psychologist is usually pretty busy, unless they live in a city and there is to many psychologist, or they have had their license taken away.

I can't say that this person is a scammer, or a hoax, I just advise taking anything this person says very carefully it is my opinion that things don't add up and this person is at the very least suspicious and does not really belong in this group. But that is just my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Read Dr Pattijane's comments again, they look like the kind of stuff that a scammer would just copy and paste to a discussion board, at no time is there any direct reference to this group, or the folks in it, its all very very neutral and generic.

- - - Updated - - -

her use of capital letters,,,, its spam marketing.... DANGER DANGER DANGER

- - - Updated - - -

Im suppose to believe that a 67 year old who already works in a busy practice, takes her free time to search for dissuasions online to help explain the system better? (she didn't) But she did make a great pitch for her product.
    this link explains the process better, its cognitive like therapy with some flashy lights and cheap gizmos, Im not impressed.
    http://www.emdrhap.org/content/what-is-emdr/
    I have to say I myself wasn't really looking for an outside voice weighing in per se either.

However, Your insinuation that my initial question/thread (or my identity on here?) is fabricated is a little offensive to me. I pursued EMDR in the first place because I have family and friends who have had success with it and I wanted to honestly inquire among the ADISC community
    regarding the same.

If you take the time to search the subject in the forum, you'll find a couple other references to it but no threads. It seemed worth while to ask given my curiosity.

Your intensity about the subject on the other hand might lead me to ask "what's up with that?"

dear cm90210, I wasn't addressing you in my original reply, I was addressing drpattijane who is an outsider to the forum and has never introduced herself and is pushing a book, and is highly suspicious, if that offends you then thats your problem, because nothing I said was addressed to you. This was a public discussion, I had questions, they weren't answered, Id hold anything drpattijane wrote as suspect, there is very little logic for her to start posting on a ab/dl/ic support group, maybe she's a legit 67 year old dr who surfs the web trying to help people, and maybe santa claus is real. As for my intensity on the subject, Im a fairly paranoid person recovering from traumatic brain injury, new physical disabilities, the loss of my right eye, and PTSD, Im highly critical of the medical community, and have learned to ask questions and research the subjects myself, I also have spent most of the last two years in isolation except for occasional visits from family and friends or to go to the doctors or hospital. Anyways nothing I said was addressed towards you so please don't take it personally.

My dad is a psychologist who specializes in PTSD and uses this technique. I know he is having significant success with it, but I don't know the specifics. It certainly doesn't look like it can make anything worse, and is supposed to be as effective as CBT.

As for our resident psychologist above, it is possible that she is trying to make people aware of this little known treatment modality, help people, and promote her book?

the guest psychologist if she was even real did help make me aware of the technique, so far all Ive been exposed to is crappy doctors that want to hand out meds like its Halloween, however her post did seem cookie cutter, like it was copy and pasted from a generic info sheet she may have, maybe it is all legit, I tend to over react and be very defensive when it comes to treating the brain, Ive had my share of quacks and charlatans in my life, and I have somewhat of a hatred for psychologists, they once held my freedom and tried very hard to have me institutionalized, I can't deal with the PTSD when they are a damn trigger so I haven't dealt with it, I have a hard enough time telling my neurologist no when he tries to push ritalin or happy pills on me, so I can be a brain dead zombie with a big dumb smile, or get accused of being on speed or coke.