Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mindfulness

Default Mindfulness

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone here as any experience with the Buddhist (I think) idea of mindfulness and living/being completely in the moment.

It's something I've started looking into recently and I thought I'd see what people have to say about it.

All the best.

I've heard of that and done it unknowingly. Although I'm not a Buddhist, it is an interesting concept.

Hi there - Mindfulness isn't associated with any one religion, IIRC. You may be thinking of meditation, which has roots in Buddhism, Yoga, and other New Age disciplines. They share similar concepts and ultimately achieve the same goal of quieting the mind, but go about it through different means. Like a picture viewed from opposite sides of the room.

I've successfully used the both of them to stay on top of my generalized anxiety. There's a bit of a learning curve until you understand how it "works"... it takes practice to be able to "float above" your thoughts... but once you've internalized the concepts, I feel they both can do wonders to changing worldview. Mindfulness is especially effective, because you can apply it to even the most mundane daily activities and not need to change your schedule. I find that over time, doing this has made my hours seem longer and many times more full.

Everyone practices mindfulness from time to time, even if they don't know they're doing it. But I think there's a lot of good in the intentional act of it as well... All I can say is, snake oil or not, I am a happier and markedly more peaceful person than I used to be.

I'm not Buddhist, but practice mindfulness and meditation. It keeps me positive and confident. I used to suffer from depression, but I've been symptom free for five years now. Meditation and mindfulness are a big part of my recovery.

It's easy to worry about a future that may or may never happen. It's easy to worry about bad things from the past, but neither are worth your energy.

If you're going to look at the past or the future, do it in order to learn so you can enjoy the present more. If all you're doing is worrying, then you're doing yourself a serious disservice.

I agree with all of the responses about mindfulness. It has been a major part of my therapy and grounding techniques. It is a state of being in the frontal lobe and aware of everything that is going on in the moment. IT is the process one needs to practice when negative or "not true" thoughts are racing through your hear. By stopping and becoming "in the moment" you can focus on what is real and what is just negative mental chatter that has "become stuck" in your thoughts.

It is very true that everyone does it several times and hour and do not realize it. However, for someone with depression and/or anxiety we need to stop and force ourselves into a mindful state so that we can remove the mental distractions and then proceed with what ever task is at hand.

It's something worth doing. I use it frequently to inform my own thinking and the advice I give to others. "Change what you can, accept what you can't change, and have the wisdom to know the difference" is another way I think of looking at mindfulness. It's an awareness of what's going on now and what you can do now, rather than worrying about things outside of your control.

For practice, I suggest walking (not running, just walking), archery if you happen to know how to do it, and breathing exercises. One good way to physically focus yourself is to simply count your breathing. In ("1, 2, 3, 4") hold ("1, 2, 3, 4") out ("1, 2, 3, 4"). It can be very effective to bring your mind to yourself.

I really don't understand how in the west buddhism has become equated with self improvement.

The Buddha only reached enlightenment through immense suffering and complete self denial. The rest of us will always suffer because of our desires, wants and most of all the desire to think ourselves better than we are.

Sorry to say, but the deeper spiritual message of buddhism is pretty cynical about human nature itself and has nothing to do with the western new age spiritualism that's trendy now.

That all said. Apart from its religious context meditation is a very beneficial technique and I don't really see any other decent way to live but mindful. That's not a thing. You should call out people for being unmindful and brand it as a disorder :p

The concept of living in the moment is not restricted to Buddhist teachings.

This thread reminded me of a truly inspiring book I read by Dan Millman titled "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior. It was based on a true story of a high school athlete headed for the nationals competition. He was involved in a motorcycle accident and his leg was shattered. He meets mentor who helps him cope with the trauma and the loss. The whole book is about learning to live in the moment, and not focussing on past accomplishment or future dreams that fall apart. He eventually returned to the sport and was successful in the nationals. It is an understanding that the challenges we face in our lives can change by the moment. The book inspired because I'm a long distance runner who was brutally assaulted while out on a run and it was several months before I was able to return to the sport. My favourite line in the book; 'There are no ordinary moments.'
    Last edited by Starrunner; 09-Jul-2014 at 23:43.

There is a simple way to learn to 'live in the moment'--go skydive. Many may laugh, but I found it to be incredible stress relief to jump out of a plane with little more than fabric and string to keep me from death.

In freefall, nothing else matters beyond what is happening now. That argument with your spouse/SO/whatever? Doesn't matter. Mortgage or rent going to be late? Doesn't matter. Worried about your job? Worried about future/retirement/etc? If you don't focus on what is happening now, you WILL die. At which point, nothing else matters. If you can't get a good parachute over your head before you hit the dirt, what else will be important?

With that said, I think the best idea is to live life for 'now' but not to forget the past or future. Your past helps mold you into who you are and teaches you many important lessons. Having some plan for the future is always good, because life has a way of trying to take good plans and completely f--- them up, so if you understand that and plan accordingly, it is easier to deal with.

Wow I wasn't expecting that many replies so thanks very much.

I'm currently reading "The Mindful Manifesto" by Dr Jonty Heaversedge & Ed Halliwell. It kinda covers the idea of mindfulness and how it can improve our lives. It does explain how mindfulness isn't purely a religious thing but does highlight how Buddhism utilises it.

I seem to be forever running around thinking about the past and what might happen in the future. "Monkey mind" as the books describe it.

I'm currently doing the breathing meditation which seems to help and will definitely give the walking a go.

My main problem is being able to get back in that mindset during the day. I get far too caught up in things that don't matter.

Anyway thanks again for all the input and ideas.