Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blagojevich saga (a.k.a. Illinois governor)

Default Blagojevich saga (a.k.a. Illinois governor)

So far, it stands that he has been impeached, but still has to be removed from office after a trial by the Illinois Senate.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on this apparent political firestorm? (Usually, boring little Illinois is hardly ever in the national media )

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC1981 View Post
    So far, it stands that he has been impeached, but still has to be removed from office after a trial by the Illinois Senate.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on this apparent political firestorm? (Usually, boring little Illinois is hardly ever in the national media )
    He hasn't had a trial yet I think, he has now been impeached twice though. Once last week by the old Illinois house and again today by the "new" house which took over this week. Whats funny is there's been only ONE no vote each time and this time it came from his sister in law!

Either way this guy is going out of office even if he hasn't done anything legally wrong yet. He's stained himself and anyone that can be tied to him is going to be thrown under a microscope like Roland or Obama were, after this story broke of course. In any case if the people that elected you want you to get the hell out of office your going to either step down or be removed by something.

Gray Davis was recalled here in California and he didn't do anything illegal. I expect that's how they will remove this guy if hes not removed by a court trial.

While Blagojevich hasn't technically been indicted or convicted of any crime yet, the US Attorney clearly believes a crime was committed, and considering the extensive recordings they have I doubt they would have acted unless something they recorded was clearly illegal.

That said, his legal standing is probably of a secondary concern to most state senators when they vote to convict or acquit. All these individuals are politicians who will have to run for reelection, and regardless of Blagojevich's guilt or innocence being the guy who voted to allow the governor who tried to sell a Senate seat to stay in office is not good for one's reelection hopes. I figure the State Senate would put on a good show, follow all the procedures as laid out in their rules, and then throw Blagojevich right out of the Governor's office by a pretty overwhelming vote, similar to that seen during the impeachment vote.

As far as Davis' recall election, well in that case the recall isn't just designed for a state official who did something illegal, it is also there to remove someone who voters think is doing a bad job, and they clearly weren't to happy with the job Davis had been doing. Also, only 18 or so states have provisions for recall elections at the state level(Illinois does not), as such, if Blagojevich is not impeached (or forced to resign, or convicted in a federal court) the first chance the voters will have to remove him is during the next election cycle.

I can't wait for the dirty, cheating, crooked, SOB to get kicked out and then put in jail.

His re-election does tell you how pathetic the Republican party is in Illinois. A dead man should have been to beat him in his re-election bid.

I personally want to see Chicago and Cook County to secede from Illinois and form their own state.

Quote Originally Posted by bdb2004 View Post
    As far as Davis' recall election, well in that case the recall isn't just designed for a state official who did something illegal, it is also there to remove someone who voters think is doing a bad job, and they clearly weren't to happy with the job Davis had been doing. Also, only 18 or so states have provisions for recall elections at the state level(Illinois does not), as such, if Blagojevich is not impeached (or forced to resign, or convicted in a federal court) the first chance the voters will have to remove him is during the next election cycle.
    California had a special election for or after the recall of Gray Davis. In any case I was ecstatic that Gray Davis got recalled oddly even Arnold is better then him but even Arnold broke nearly every promise he made.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    California had a special election for or after the recall of Gray Davis.
    If I remember what I was reading about California recall law correctly, don't you vote on the recall and the successor on the same ballot? Therefore the ballot will read 1) Do you want to recall XXXX Yes/No and then 2) If the recall is successful I want the following to be Gov.: XXX/YYY/ZZZ.

But yeah, I guess it doesn't really matter since unfortunately Blago can't be recalled... So we will just have to count on the State Senate cleaning up the voter's mistake, though this really doesn't do anything to reinforce my confidence in our electorate...

As far as recalling the governor goes...that won't happen in Illinois because it can't. The Illinois Constitution currently has no provision for recalling officials like the governor (otherwise he likely would have been gone LONG before he was arrested).

Interestingly, this past November, voters in Illinois turned down a ballot measure which asked if the state needed a constitutional convention to re-write the state constitution (this is something that has to be asked every 20 years, and it was asked last November). If it had been approved, the state constitution could have had provisions written in it for recalling elected officials (my local newspaper [NOT the Chicago Tribune, fyi] was talking about this for like a year)

Just keep in mind that the allegations are regarding a lot more than the "sale" of Barack Obama's Senate seat...that's just what the media focuses on to keep the story from taking 15 minutes to tell each night. Rod Blagojevich studied his corrupt politicians well; he is a modern-day Huey Long.

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by bdb2004 View Post
    If I remember what I was reading about California recall law correctly, don't you vote on the recall and the successor on the same ballot? Therefore the ballot will read 1) Do you want to recall XXXX Yes/No and then 2) If the recall is successful I want the following to be Gov.: XXX/YYY/ZZZ.

But yeah, I guess it doesn't really matter since unfortunately Blago can't be recalled... So we will just have to count on the State Senate cleaning up the voter's mistake, though this really doesn't do anything to reinforce my confidence in our electorate...
    Heck... I wish we could recall a president. We could have used a recall back in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Heck... I wish we could recall a president. We could have used a recall back in 2002.
    Ok not to get too far off topic, but Bush had pretty good approval numbers until mid 2005, and it didn't start trending steadly into the 30's until early 2007 or late 2006 depending on the poll, and more importantly for your post in 2002 his approval rating were largely in the high 60's and low 70's.