Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Happened??

Default What Happened??

What ever happened to video games?? I mean, we went from a video card to a disc. With the disc you have to worry about scratches and smudges. With the video card you had to worry about dust or dirt in the case, which you just blew into the slit and BAM! It is fixed... They need to go back to the video cards!! Or microchips...

It's all going to be digitally downloaded within probably the next five years.

Quote Originally Posted by incontinentGM24 View Post
    It's all going to be digitally downloaded within probably the next five years.
    I highly doubt that. There are tons upon tons of people who still prefer disc based installation. I can see Digital Download becoming more popular but it is not going to completely replace Disc based installation any time soon.

It isn't a matter of what people prefer. This is where the technology is going.

Quote Originally Posted by incontinentGM24 View Post
    It isn't a matter of what people prefer. This is where the technology is going.
    Very very doubtful.

Are you talking about consoles or PC'S?Steam has pretty much taken over the PC game channel and the newest consoles are also moving towards downloads over disks.
    I'm not thrilled about this since it kills the used market but I'm not really in position to do anything since I don't game much anyway
    Last edited by nray999; 05-Jul-2014 at 01:41. Reason: more thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by EagleScout View Post
    They need to go back to the video cards!! Or microchips...
    The reason for discs is economics: A CD costs fractions of a cent per CD to make. Microchips on circuit boards cost considerably more to manufacture.

I have to agree with incontinentGM24. Unless you happen to have a very slow connection and/or a bandwith quota, which sounds like something of last century but I'm aware that is a reality for some people in America, digital is the way to go.

I don't remember the last time I bought a physical copy of a videogame, actually I do, it was in 2008 when I bought WoW, that's 6 years ago.

With platforms like steam and the ability to buy a digital copy I don't see why anyone would prefer to buy a physycal copy unless to show it off or to use as decoration. Digital is more convenient, faster and doesn't take take any space apart from that of your hard drive. And the same thing is happening to music, I barely buy any cd's now. It's all digital and/or vinyl for me, if I can afford it of course.

I had to look at the OP sideways for like 60 seconds before I realized he meant 'Game Cartridge' when saying 'Video Card'. o.O That said... He doesn't seem to understand that game cartridges contained microchips... o.o

I understand what it was... was trying to put it in simple terms, guess it didn't work. Also, I believe in the next 5 years we will still have physical discs and such. IF they went digital they would put a lot of businesses out of business and hundreds of thousands of people out of a job. I say that many because you have to think of ALL the stores, world wide, with people from low terms, all the way to CEO. PLUS workers who keep an eye on the machines of discs and repair those machines. Trust me I know what a Game Cartridge is, to be honest I thought most people wouldn't know what it was actually called.