Thread: Pre-4th of July Conversation

Default Pre-4th of July Conversation

So, as some of you may know, the 4th of July is the day we politely asked some of you to leave. The fireworks displays for the towns in my area have been postponed due to weather, which did not deter any of the illegal fireworks displays from going off in people's backyards last night. Some of those people live fairly close enough to the mall where I work that we could hear them going off and I had this exchange with my last customer of the evening.

"Oh, looks like the rockets are red glare and the bombs are bursting in air."

Customer: *In a very snooty and uptight voice* "Uh, you might not want to joke about that."

Me: "Ma'am, tomorrow is the 4th. That's kinda our song, you know the one we sang every morning in school. If you can take that out of context, the terrorists have pretty much won."

OK I'll Bite.

How do you justify that statement?

I see that the "extremists" are doing everything they can to make there point. If nothing else to stay in the news.

But how have they won?

I do not feel a pressed or limited in anyway. I do see a lot of inconvenience and precautions that are being taken, but I am not limited in any way to preform my basic needs and make a home for my family and to openly talk about such issues as this with no fear of retaliation or imprisonment.

So please explain your view more so that we all can gain an understanding.

Egor

I'll break down the situation a little better. But no, I'm not going to debate it because that wasn't the point of the thread.

Someone was playing with illegal fireworks as often happens. This woman was obviously already uptight and tired as the store was closing after a very busy day and she was being snippy at me even before the conversation took place, so my comment was really just poking the bear. She didn't say anything else in response to my comment and if anything, the fact that she had kids in tow gave me the opportunity to soften things up when the actual thunder started moving in over head. Cause I taught the kids the trick when you count between thunder claps.

Quote Originally Posted by NateSean View Post
    Cause I taught the kids the trick when you count between thunder claps.
    Important fact! Most people think 1 second equals 1 mile. This is bullshit. Four to five seconds equals a mile. So if you count one second, the strike wasn't a mile away, it was within a thousand feet (which is very, very close). The 1s=1mi system most people use is incredibly dangerous because it can imply that the lightning is much further away than it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by NateSean View Post
    I'll break down the situation a little better. But no, I'm not going to debate it because that wasn't the point of the thread.

Someone was playing with illegal fireworks as often happens. This woman was obviously already uptight and tired as the store was closing after a very busy day and she was being snippy at me even before the conversation took place, so my comment was really just poking the bear. She didn't say anything else in response to my comment and if anything, the fact that she had kids in tow gave me the opportunity to soften things up when the actual thunder started moving in over head. Cause I taught the kids the trick when you count between thunder claps.
    Thank you for the response. That makes more since.