Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing google search find!

Default Amazing google search find!

Today I realized something when I was browsing diaper stores on google in my own language (finnish). When you type "aikuisten" (adult's), the first suggestion is "aikuisten vaipat" (that translates to adult's diapers). How weird is that?! It's exciting to find it more popular than education etc.

If you type "adult or adult's" in your own language to google, does adult diapers come up top or near it??

Nothing here. The only suggestions I got were for Adult Swim, adult ADD, and Adult Protective Services.

I think they predict what you want to see from your browsing history. Maybe you searched diapers before?

It's very likely that's the result of a personalized algorithm filling in results for you. The ranking of websites you see as a result of your search is also personalized.

This issue has actually been a point of recent criticism, as google creates the illusion that we are seeing objective results that tell us something about other people in the world, when rely it is tilting its results based on our individual interests and history.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    It's very likely that's the result of a personalized algorithm filling in results for you. The ranking of websites you see as a result of your search is also personalized.

This issue has actually been a point of recent criticism, as google creates the illusion that we are seeing objective results that tell us something about other people in the world, when rely it is tilting its results based on our individual interests and history.
    I tried this with my other devices that had no diaper-related browsing and with their own ip. Also cookies and tracking disabled. Not signed in on gooogle of course. And adult diapers came up top again.

I tried this with my other devices that had no diaper-related browsing and with their own ip. Also cookies and tracking disabled. Not signed in on gooogle of course. And adult diapers came up top again.
    I'm assuming you made sure the devices weren't using the same network such as wifi for example, since some devices will auto connect to if open. If you want see different country's google results you can use proxy, and google translate.

Quote Originally Posted by computerProgrammer View Post
    I'm assuming you made sure the devices weren't using the same network such as wifi for example, since some devices will auto connect to if open. If you want see different country's google results you can use proxy, and google translate.
    Yeah both mobile devices had their own carrier network. What you suggested sounds like a lot of work just to find out how does adult diapers come up on google in different languages

This could also be because in finnish a lot of adult related stuff does not have space between "adult" and the other word, but some stuff do. It was just interesting to find diapers suggested first

well i typed "aikuisten" into google, and the top results were sites selling "adult" toys.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTyrant View Post
    well i typed "aikuisten" into google, and the top results were sites selling "adult" toys.
    Omg then how could google know??
    It's a bit scary...