Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are so many Disabled Adults into being an Adult Baby?

Default Why are so many Disabled Adults into being an Adult Baby?

Based upon my own observation, why is it that there are a lot of disabled adults into being an Adult Baby?

I understand myself being an Adult Baby as an older adult with Autism (Asperger's Syndrome) and Cerebral Palsy and being totally incontinent with respect to both my bladder and my bowels.

It helps me cope better in life. I have anxiety so it makes it hard for me to handle stress and things people find so simple and not a big deal. Being an AB is just a side thing for me and it comes strong when I am going through lot of stress or depression. I also need a daddy then.

Everyone has different coping mechanisms. Being an AB is a relatively safe one compared with smoking or drinking.

I have to repeat Calico's post.

I have clinical depression and anxiety. DL became part of my life and once I joined this group and gained self acceptance and understanding, with the help of my therapist we turned a stressful shame guilt situation into a coping mechanism.

So we made a response to a PTSD situation into a beneficial Coping mechanism.

I'm not disabled, unless there is something that nobody around me is telling me. Personally I just like it a lot and always have. Only responding so I can represent the other portion of people that are into this.

Zipperless nailed it on the head, I'm paralyzed from the waist down and it's true, we all have our own defense mechanisms to help us cope with challenges we face...embracing my little side makes me happy, gets rid of all of the social stigma surrounding having to be in diapers day/night and is a fantastic comfort when i'm having pain issues.

I don't really see the surprise here. For example, I've never been 100% continent and I'm sure that's the biggest reason I gravitated towards AB behaviors. As already mentioned it's a coping mechanism. Though I don't think the majority of disable folks are AB's, it's probably a higher percentage than in the non-disabled population. I know one person in my wife's family who has MD and, even though she is cathed 24/7, she has some AB tendencies. If you were disabled enough to spend most of your life at home, crafting, drawing, playing games and, in many cases diapered, wouldn't you gravitate towards AB things? Makes sense to me.

I have CP, which is a birth injury, & thus, not genetic. Though my mom knows I have Asperger's, we see no reason to give me another label. To me, wearing represents a terrifying loss of life-skills, but somewhere deep down, diapers are the friends that never should've been taken from me in the first place. They should be a non-shameful option for anyone when the need, or want, arises, not associated with a loss of status, or skill, just there to keep clothes dry. While they're at it, they might as well fit your personality.

With my issues, since I was old enough to talk, "I can do it by myself," was my mantra, but truthfully, never, "knowing what to do with the ball," socially, or getting lost easily, or the fact that I'm more likely to slip, fall, & crack my head, or go from fine, to really sick quicker than most, means I need someone to see how afraid I am, but am not allowed to be, because if I show fear, there're no shortage of government people who have the power to tell me I don't get to be as normal an adult as possible. Needless to say, I have no need to, "little out," full time. It's about finding ONE PERSON who won't laugh at my fear, shame, guilt, or pain. I need somebody to tell me he's there, & it's okay not to torture my body just to get to a toilet. It's okay to drink until I'm not thirsty anymore, & that him loving me isn't contingent on me staying clean & dry; I can fall & not crumble, that he still sees me, the whole me, the strong, competent, independent woman & the small, scared toddler, diaper or not. Diapers need not be scary, because he looks BEYOND them, & SEES ME. He'll be there to keep me from going of the deep end & not coming back.

People with CP keep infantile reflexes that non-effected people don't. My adoptive sis & I both have a startle reflex. We need sports bottles to keep from spilling. Exhibit A is the fact that yesterday, I had to clean up 20 oz of sticky sweet tea of the floor when sis took off her lid, to protect a mouth sore, & got spooked by thunder. Now, baby bottles are vented, easier to clean, & the sookie part is softer. They'd work better. If other people call it babyish for me to mitigate my disability, just because it looks weird, sorry. Same way with s & blankies. I need the sensory input.

I once saw on tv, a severely CP effected boy, about 4 years old, held by his mom, drinking from a baby bottle. His mom said he tended to gag if liquids were too thick, & get them in his lungs if they were too thin. At first, I thought, "Get him an adapted cup. Why shame him like that?! What a bad mom!" I told my mom about it. She picked up one of our cup lids, showing the spout, & said, "What's the difference? You know how expensive adapted cups are." I see it differently now. It didn't bother him. He liked bonding with mom, so why did I judge? I wouldn't be surprised if, because she never shamed him, he never saw the babyishness, & didn't turn out like me.
    Last edited by SpAzpieSweeTot; 27-Jun-2014 at 21:30.

I suppose I could technically be considered disabled. I've been diagnosed with autism (Asperger's syndrome, to be exact). I'm not 100% sure how me being an ABDL relates to my autism. But I know for certain that I've never really felt I was as socially developed as my peers. Even now I present myself as being incredibly naive around my age-group and do not share many of their interests. Sometimes it feels as though I'm much younger than I really am. While others would love to go to parties and drink a lot, I'd prefer to watch cartoons with my plushies. Being an AB/little is comforting for me in that I know I don't have to handle these complex scenarios and can just on to be cared for as a baby/toddler.