Thread: Washing cloth diapers?

Default Washing cloth diapers?

Hi,

I was just wondering, as cloth diapers have multiple layers, how does one clean the layers deep inside?

I mean like, Urine is sterile, it's fine, but the fecal soil, if goes to inner layer through moisture.

Washing only cleans the outer layers.

The whole purpose of an agitator in a top-load machine, and the tumbling action in a front-loader, is to move the water and detergent through the fabric. That will remove any offending, ahem, matter. You're good.

-RMS

Yup.

It's worth mentioning, though, that there are some excessively thick AB/DL cloth diapers out there. The thicker the diaper, the longer it's going to take for water and detergent to penetrate, and the longer it's going to take to dry -- particularly with AIOs, since only one side of the padding is exposed. With these diapers, it is conceivable that standard wash/dry cycles won't be enough. I would suggest asking here if you're interested in the reputation of a particular cloth diaper. ADISC has a lot of collective experience. Generally speaking, though, it's always better to add bulk -- boosters pads, double-diapering, etc. -- than to use a single, ultra-thick diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by panther View Post
    Hi,

I was just wondering, as cloth diapers have multiple layers, how does one clean the layers deep inside?

I mean like, Urine is sterile, it's fine, but the fecal soil, if goes to inner layer through moisture.

Not all are multiple layers, for example

Amazon.com : OsoCozy Birdseye Flat Cloth Diapers - 27x27 inches (dozen) : Flatfold Cloth Diapers : Baby

Quote Originally Posted by panther View Post
    Hi,

My first question too you is since you don't live in the US is what kind of laundry facilities are available to you?
    I wash my cloth diapers by hand all the time. What I do is first rinse them in hot water to remove the urine.
    Then I soak them in my detergent and water for three to four hours. Then I rinse them real well clamped to
    the shower head till the water runs clear. Then I put them on a hangar to drip out in the shower.

For fecal matter I recommend that they be rinsed well till no matter shows in the diaper and then be soaked in
    the pail.
    For my prefold and contour diapers I do hang them outside to dry. Also the sun will bleach them out.
    My printed AIO diapers I leave inside to dry.

This is why I prefer a top loading washer rather than a front loader. The top loader use a lot more water, and for diapers, that's a good thing. I replaced my Maytag washer with a Speed Queen and I've been very happy. The Speed Queen is what they use in commercial laundromats and comes with a 20 year warranty.

I have a front loader with adjustable wash rinse settings, as well as a small water heater that I run really hot (165F).
    I usually do a prewash, and a wash for 1:12, then run it through 6 rinse cycles. also use Oxyclean.
    the water runs so hot, that it kills everything. I've left diapers in the drum for 2 days after a wash, and no mildew smell