Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I m living next door to squatters!

Default I m living next door to squatters!

I know I've been starting a lot of threads recently but I had to get this off my chest.

So my next door neighbor has been living in the house for about 2 1/2 years now. It's for rent, not to own. One of the rules is no roommates but his friend has renting a room there for the last year or so. That's not the problem though. The problem is that in that time they haven't paid any rent or utilities at all in the entire time they have been there. Not even one single dime. I shit you not!

They haven't paid for anything- rent, gas, water, electricity, cable, internet, pest control. Nothing at all! They have NO jobs, don't want jobs, don't pay car insurance or anything at all. Period. Zero. Zilch. They don't cut the grass, have left the half painted shutters hanging off the house for 2 years, have four broken down vehicles and 2 motorcycles and car parts in the front yard. They took the gas out of the lawn mover and put it in a car so they could buy cigarettes and beer. They sell dope out of the house just so they can smoke it for free.

The people that own the house are in their 90s and live out of state and they have no family to look our for them so it just keeps going on. Excuse my language but I think this is TOTAL BULLSHIT!

How can someone do this? How do they sleep at night? What's wrong with people? It just burns me up. I can hardly stand it. Here I am, struggling to make ends meet and they're like gypsies over there. Just the craziest thing I've ever seen. Do you know how nice it would be to live for FREE for almost 3 years! No bills, no job, no responsibilities whatsoever. They have no money and that's because they refuse to get off their asses and do anything. How long can this last? I mean, what kind of person would do such a thing? I can hardly afford anything and they're just laying around in the AC watching free cable, smoking joints and drinking beer. At minimum it costs about $2000 a month to run that house. The guy pays no child support for his 2 kids and his ex-wife hasn't done anything about it.

There is just so much wrong over there. What is wrong with this world? It's disgusting. Sorry excuses for human beings. They're not adults, they're acting like children. Come on! I guess some folks have no scruples about them. It makes me furious!

It sounds to me like if your town has a code enforcement officer that would be a good place to start. You could file a complaint
    with them and let town take some action on it. The way you describe how the outdoors is kept it could be a health hazard. Good
    breeding grounds for rats or other rodents.

It seems to me based on the description that rats or other rodents of the two-legged kind are already on the property.

Quote Originally Posted by gnd567 View Post
    So my next door neighbor has been living in the house for about 2 1/2 years now. It's for rent, not to own. One of the rules is no roommates but his friend has renting a room there for the last year or so. That's not the problem though. The problem is that in that time they haven't paid any rent or utilities at all in the entire time they have been there. Not even one single dime.
    Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying they have a lease on the house but haven't made any payments on it? How do you know this?

CrinklySiren

lol oh boy, you haven't even seen the worst of it :P Have you tried calling someone about it?

I know I've been starting a lot of threads recently but I had to get this off my chest.

So my next door neighbor has been living in the house for about 2 1/2 years now. It's for rent, not to own. One of the rules is no roommates but his friend has renting a room there for the last year or so. That's not the problem though. The problem is that in that time they haven't paid any rent or utilities at all in the entire time they have been there. Not even one single dime. I shit you not!

They haven't paid for anything- rent, gas, water, electricity, cable, internet, pest control. Nothing at all! They have NO jobs, don't want jobs, don't pay car insurance or anything at all. Period. Zero. Zilch. They don't cut the grass, have left the half painted shutters hanging off the house for 2 years, have four broken down vehicles and 2 motorcycles and car parts in the front yard. They took the gas out of the lawn mover and put it in a car so they could buy cigarettes and beer. They sell dope out of the house just so they can smoke it for free.

The people that own the house are in their 90s and live out of state and they have no family to look our for them so it just keeps going on. Excuse my language but I think this is TOTAL BULLSHIT!

How can someone do this? How do they sleep at night? What's wrong with people? It just burns me up. I can hardly stand it. Here I am, struggling to make ends meet and they're like gypsies over there. Just the craziest thing I've ever seen. Do you know how nice it would be to live for FREE for almost 3 years! No bills, no job, no responsibilities whatsoever. They have no money and that's because they refuse to get off their asses and do anything. How long can this last? I mean, what kind of person would do such a thing? I can hardly afford anything and they're just laying around in the AC watching free cable, smoking joints and drinking beer. At minimum it costs about $2000 a month to run that house. The guy pays no child support for his 2 kids and his ex-wife hasn't done anything about it.

There is just so much wrong over there. What is wrong with this world? It's disgusting. Sorry excuses for human beings. They're not adults, they're acting like children. Come on! I guess some folks have no scruples about them. It makes me furious!

What can I say....

First I think your neighbors actual life is not much of your business to be honest. You might not like his way of living but alas, it is his life.
    Now about the stuff that does indeed have some impact on you is their "part" rots away and the broken down cars in the fron ar probably annoying.
    But as to the rest: it is not much of your problem, is it?

People are crap - but if I'd started to care for all the bull that some of my neighbors do, I'd have a full time job at being annoyed. (at least that was until I bought my own house).

The thing is, you hardly know the full story... and if they pay their dues or not, it doesn't impact you - you don't have to cover their part, I assume.

Some people rob banks for a living, others sell pot and try to get by without paying a thing until they get kicked out and it just continues... so what? if they disturb you / threaten you, call the police ... otherwise my advice: ignore the buggers.

Sure you struggle as you say to get through the month, hard working... but look, there are people who have a shit load of money, make more simply from the investment returns and never work a day in their life... but they're "remote", "clean"... and even if some bloke with two feraris in front of his mansion would live next to you, hooking up with playboy-bunnies 24/7, having his private sushi chef and a roof top pool... you'd still struggle with your own problems.
    And if your crappy low life neighbors move out, you're still struggling the same... so don't let other peoples life rule yours...

And about the "live for FREE for three years"... well what's stopping you ??
    Ponder this - honestly, what is it that is stopping you from going the same route? I guess aside from moral values etc, it is something that sound appealing in the short run, but in the long run you would create so many problems that you potentially would never solve and it would keep dragging you lower and lower.
    I don't think that your neighbors have a life I'd be envious about, actually quite to the contrary.
    I guess once someone retorts to drain the gas from the mower just to afford some more cigarets, they've probably not have much else left.

You can "move up" - you can make some career, build your own future etc... they have basically ruined all ways upwards from where they are... it can stay the same, but more likely it'll get far worse.

Yes, there are people like this out there. They are hard to get out of the property once they are in there. The house I used to own previously had a lady who owned it and passed away, leaving the house to her sons. One was responsible, out living on his own, running a business, being a family man. One is underage, living with people who are responsible and taking care of him. Last two are worthless, drug abusing, etc. and dangerous. When their mother died (she was as bad as them), one of them had their kids (four and six) pick up all the used hypodermic needles in the garage. We had more than once we found knives in our backyard where they had missed while practicing knife throwing against the common fence.

They had the house pretty much free and clear, ended up having to sell it and leave when they got in trouble with the city for burning trash in the fireplace (trash service suspended after not paying for it), having no electricity and then stealing it (do you know how dangerous it is to play around with pulling out an electric meter and bypassing it while the system is live?), no water service (non-payment), and other various issues that were severe code violations. The house was flagged as not fit for habitation and they were forced to bring it up to code and the costs of it were enough that sale of the property was the only way to cover it.

With that said, that is your way to deal with the issue: code enforcement. Cities have codes requiring certain levels of upkeep. Water is a necessity for health and sanitation. Trash service is required in many cities. If they are squatters, they have probably done some serious damage to the interior of the property that now has it violating building codes to the point it may be red-flagged. You can't just let it go with the attitude that, "they get to live their life how they want" because a lot of it does affect you. Failed upkeep on the property, non-functional vehicles parked on the lawn, etc. affect the value of your property, can be fire hazards, and health and sanitation hazards, not to mention building code violations.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    What can I say....

First I think your neighbors actual life is not much of your business to be honest. You might not like his way of living but alas, it is his life.
    Now about the stuff that does indeed have some impact on you is their "part" rots away and the broken down cars in the fron ar probably annoying.
    But as to the rest: it is not much of your problem, is it?

People are crap - but if I'd started to care for all the bull that some of my neighbors do, I'd have a full time job at being annoyed. (at least that was until I bought my own house).

The thing is, you hardly know the full story... and if they pay their dues or not, it doesn't impact you - you don't have to cover their part, I assume.

Some people rob banks for a living, others sell pot and try to get by without paying a thing until they get kicked out and it just continues... so what? if they disturb you / threaten you, call the police ... otherwise my advice: ignore the buggers.

Sure you struggle as you say to get through the month, hard working... but look, there are people who have a shit load of money, make more simply from the investment returns and never work a day in their life... but they're "remote", "clean"... and even if some bloke with two feraris in front of his mansion would live next to you, hooking up with playboy-bunnies 24/7, having his private sushi chef and a roof top pool... you'd still struggle with your own problems.
    And if your crappy low life neighbors move out, you're still struggling the same... so don't let other peoples life rule yours...

And about the "live for FREE for three years"... well what's stopping you ??
    Ponder this - honestly, what is it that is stopping you from going the same route? I guess aside from moral values etc, it is something that sound appealing in the short run, but in the long run you would create so many problems that you potentially would never solve and it would keep dragging you lower and lower.
    I don't think that your neighbors have a life I'd be envious about, actually quite to the contrary.
    I guess once someone retorts to drain the gas from the mower just to afford some more cigarets, they've probably not have much else left.

You can "move up" - you can make some career, build your own future etc... they have basically ruined all ways upwards from where they are... it can stay the same, but more likely it'll get far worse.
    Well, I wasn't originally going to mention it but I now see that it's an important detail. I pretty much do know the whole story. They used to be in my band. One was the drummer and one was a roadie. I know it doesn't really affect me but I've known these guys long enough to know that they are filth. That's why they aren't with me anymore. This isn't me trying to get back at them or anything. It's just that it's a nice neighborhood and they're just a sorry bunch. They're in their 50s and have never done anything or had any desire to be or do something with their lives and they both were raised better. But you are right, it really isn't my business, nor does it affect me much.

What's stopping me from doing it? Well, I guess I've got morals and a conscience. I don't like screwing people.

I guess I'll have to let it go because there seems to be no end in sight. It isn't my business but it just burns me up.

Well, I wasn't originally going to mention it but I now see that it's an important detail. I pretty much do know the whole story. They used to be in my band. One was the drummer and one was a roadie. I know it doesn't really affect me but I've known these guys long enough to know that they are filth. That's why they aren't with me anymore. This isn't me trying to get back at them or anything. It's just that it's a nice neighborhood and they're just a sorry bunch. They're in their 50s and have never done anything or had any desire to be or do something with their lives and they both were raised better. But you are right, it really isn't my business, nor does it affect me much.

What's stopping me from doing it? Well, I guess I've got morals and a conscience. I don't like screwing people.

I guess I'll have to let it go because there seems to be no end in sight. It isn't my business but it just burns me up.
    Don't let stuff / People like that get at you... just don't... waste of your precious time.

You can go wherever you want, look wherever you will - and there always is bound to be some who do everything "counterproductively" (To put it nicely).

I guess the major aspect is, that if you look at them, and look at their life, your surely would not want to trade places I guess.
    And that is all there is, you have your life, you work hard, you make a living and you have options... they have their life - a road to ruin with no way to turn around...
    If anything (but I guess that would be a waste of energy) I pity such people for the roadblocks to a fulfilling life they have built up themselves.
    To me, my life is the one and only life I have and I aim to make the most out of it... people like the ones you describe, just drag through life somewhere between birth and death.
    Devoid of goals, devoid of personal achievements, of real challenges, of pleasure of real family, etc... and they can be leaching society for all they want, I don't give a crap... it does not affect my ability to lead a fulfilling life and neither should it affect you.

I know, that especially when you personally know such people it can affect you emotionally - its human. but just don't let it drag you down.

I'm sorry to hear this. I had four squatters take over a property I owned, so I understand what you're up against. In my case, they jumped the electric meter to steal electricity. The plumbing had been vandalized before I got the property, and I know there was no running water. All the same, there were four adults doing their business in the toilets and bathtubs. After I regained control of my property, I discovered how bad it really was. They nearly burned it down with the illegal electric hookup. The whole house stank to high heaven. They had stolen a bunch of space heaters and run electrical cords across the upstairs to run them. I found three radiator-type space heaters plugged into one extension cord, with the plugs melted and completely fused together. Also interesting-my neighbor's couch was upstairs in my house. Turns out they had broke into his house, stole the TV (pawned it I'm sure) and a bunch of other stuff, including his couch. All in all, it was a bad situation. I only regained control in the end at great personal risk. I guessed that they were out and about because the back door was not barricaded. I, alone, came back with about $200 worth of lumber and I barricaded the everloving fuck out of that house. Luckily for me, they did not return while I was there.

So here's where you go and what you do:

First, if they're not paying utilities, how is it they have electric and water? Call your electric company and the water service and report theft of service. Call them often, especially the electric. The water service will probably ignore you, but the electric company will be much more likely to investigate. You said they're watching cable. How are they paying for that? Call the cable company and report theft of service. If their utilities get cut off, their lives become much less cushy.

Second, call in a report to your municipality's code enforcement division. I can't imagine that the junk cars and stuff are allowed if it's at all built-up and zoned. Now, whether your municipality has sufficient code enforcement resources or not is another question entirely, but call them anyway.

Now, it sounds like, in your case, they aren't squatters per se. If they have a lease, then they have a legal right to be there. If they're not paying rent, it's on the landlord to pursue eviction action. If the landlord is unable or unwilling to do so, that's unfortunate, but out of your control. All you can do is try to reach out to the landlord and appeal to their sense of decency and/or their business sense/desire to not have their property trashed. If they have a lease, calling the cops to claim they're squatters would be worthless, as they have a lease. Hell, in Michigan, it doesn't matter, as squatters technically have enough legal rights that the police won't ever remove an occupant from a property without an eviction order from a court (in my case, I was flirting with legal danger, as had any of those guys had anything remotely resembling a legal reason to be there I would have been fucked fucked fucked for putting them out).

What you can do is try to find a non-profit that works in the housing realm, especially one that does housing development. They might be able to give you some advice for your particular area and situation. You might also try reporting them to the police if they're conducting criminal activity. I mean, if they're selling drugs out of the place, call the cops and report it. I mean, who wants to live next to a drug house?

Anyways, good luck!