Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brazil 2014 Football World Cup

Default Brazil 2014 Football World Cup

While waiting for England v Italy to start...

Anyone here following the football (soccer) world cup? (I'm surprised that I haven't found a thread on that yet, especially given the insanely high media coverage it gets, at least here in the UK)

Which team do you support?

Which team(s) other than your home country do you like?

(I was thinking about making a poll, but 32 options looks like too many)

During the year I watch football much less than the average person in the UK, but I like to watch the world cup games, especially the non-European teams, which we rarely have a chance to see normally.

Wonderful play by Colombia and Costa Rica today. Uruguay second half breakdown felt a bit like Spain yesterday.

And, who will win?

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    Which team do you support?
    none. they're grown men for feck's sake, they should taking the responsibilty for their own actions and inactions.
    besides, playtime is for children, and children don't get paid for doing it

I'm fairly useless when it comes to football. I don't even know all the players on the england team.

The world cup is good though, really puts people in good spirits! Until we lose, of course. Maybe this time things will be different though? We can only hope.

I always remember where i am in my life when theres big events like this, its the same with the olympics. Just makes life more memorable when it's a shared experience en masse.

Second halfs starting... i'll post later.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusFlower View Post
    I'm fairly useless when it comes to football. I don't even know all the players on the england team.
    I don't know all of them either. I don't watch the Premier League very often.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusFlower View Post
    The world cup is good though, really puts people in good spirits! Until we lose, of course.
    In a way, having your team eliminated enables you to enjoy the rest of the tournament without the bias, just wishing every match to end 5-4 or so.

Nice England play tonight though. It could easily have been 2-1 the other way, with just a little luck.

Looks like we'll be watching an early playoff game against Uruguay.

This world cup has been pretty amazing so far. Only one game with less than a goal and no draw after 10 games.

I am supporting Belgium this year, with Switzerland (the team I was rooting for in 2010) and Japan (the team I was rooting for in 2002) being back-up rooting interests. I guess from the big teams I'd rather see the Netherlands win (even though I have mixed feelings about rooting for de Guzman).

I watched part of one game, Chile v Australia, unfortunately association football isn't popular in the united states so our team probably sucks. Although I would like to go watch the Columbus crew play. I'm probably rooting for the Netherlands because I have friends from there.

At the place I was last night the audio was for the MMA fight so even though the game was on it was hard to watch ( no subtitles either)

Portugal And I like to watch Brazil play, too. You have to take into consideration it's not that big of a thing in the USA, so maybe that's why there isn't such a thread yet. (Well, there is now)

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    This world cup has been pretty amazing so far. Only one game with less than a goal and no draw after 10 games.
    I've just seen Brazil v Mexico. No goals, but at least one addition to the long list of this world cup's amazing things - the Mexican keeper. Sixth sense in action.

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiOmutsu View Post
    ... unfortunately association football isn't popular in the united states so our team probably sucks.
    I think the USA often make it to the playoffs. Not that bad. I don't think England got much further the last few times and we can't say it's not popular here.

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingNotTooDark View Post
    Portugal
    Oh dear

It will get better (sure it won't get much worse)

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    Oh dear

It will get better (sure it won't get much worse)
    Yeah, I know, the game went a little to the south. And by a little I mean our team grabbed the compass and headed straight down :P
    Feeling sad

What a game last night! USA and Portugal. It's too bad the US couldn't hold on