Thread: Are there any good apps for reading books

Default Are there any good apps for reading books

I am looking for a good app that can read books that are not e-books. Do you know of any good apps ?

Buddy,

I do not know what you mean by not ebooks. Also do not know if it is for Apple, Android, Windows 8 etc.
    I use Overdrive on my Android. It is super for getting free audio books. It works with your library card number, so you can talk to your librarian about that if you need help. I use in the USA. Google has books, but I use them on the paci for research mostly since some pages of books are blocked until you pay. Kindle app is available for many devices and has free books. Gutenburg project has free old out of copyright books. On my PC I also get a free book every Friday for my Wordsearch Bible program. They also have an Android app for 4.0 or higher.
    Fascinating

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by buddylee View Post
    I am looking for a good app that can read books that are not e-books. Do you know of any good apps ?
    Why would you use an app to read a (non-electronic) book? You can just look at the pages, can't you? Or are you trying to read a book in a language you don't speak?

You could scan in each page and use optical character recognition (OCR) software to convert the scans into text files and append them together in sequence... And then some speech synthesis software to actually read the pages to you.

But really, it would be a lot easier to just use an e-book or audio-book that someone else has created rather than trying to digitise real books yourself.

i want an app for my ipad that can read books that are not audiable . the book i want to read is a text book and i just wanted to be able to have my ipad read it to me while i just sit back and relax in my chair

Quote Originally Posted by buddylee View Post
    i want an app for my ipad that can read books that are not audiable . the book i want to read is a text book and i just wanted to be able to have my ipad read it to me while i just sit back and relax in my chair
    Riiiiight! So you want a speech synthesiser that can handle plain text e-books?

I don't have any Apple devices myself, but there are loads of speech synthesiser apps for the iPad indexed by Google.
    https://www.google.co.uk/#q=ipad+"text+to+speech"

How about your eyes? not exactly an app, but they do work on things that are not e-books. If you have an Apple device, turn on voice over. That should help.