Thread: Seeing A Therapist For The First Time (worried)

Default Seeing A Therapist For The First Time (worried)

So I've had some major anxiety issues for almost the past year that would come and go in huge waves. They mostly have to do with friend drama and acceptance of my sexuality. I finally decided to get some help with my issues about 3 or so months ago and called up a therapist I had when I was a child, since she said I could return to her until I was 21 years of age (18 currently). I'm really worried about it because I don't even know how to begin telling her about all my issues. I'm worried about a possible lack of confidentiality and word leaking out to family (my paranoia is really getting the best of me with this claim) about all my issues. I won't tell her about my AB/DL side since there isn't really anything about that side that triggers my anxiety. Anyone have any advice for a first visit to the therapist? My first appointment is June 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo5 View Post
    So I've had some major anxiety issues for almost the past year that would come and go in huge waves. They mostly have to do with friend drama and acceptance of my sexuality. I finally decided to get some help with my issues about 3 or so months ago and called up a therapist I had when I was a child, since she said I could return to her until I was 21 years of age (18 currently). I'm really worried about it because I don't even know how to begin telling her about all my issues. I'm worried about a possible lack of confidentiality and word leaking out to family (my paranoia is really getting the best of me with this claim) about all my issues. I won't tell her about my AB/DL side since there isn't really anything about that side that triggers my anxiety. Anyone have any advice for a first visit to the therapist? My first appointment is June 11.
    I think your therapist will help you by asking some leading questions. After all, that's her job and I'm sure she's very professional. At the same time, ask yourself why you need to see her. Those reasons would be a good and logical starting point.

For what it's worth, I've been thinking about seeing a therapist. My wife's health has taken another downturn, and it's very difficult living with the worry. The worry never goes away. I do have my church friends, and I do talk with them, but most of my time is spent home with my wife. Watching her get worse is very difficult.

I'm not sure exactly what I'd say either, but the starting point would be her health and how I feel. I'm sure you know what your starting place is. Just start there.

The best advise that I can give you is talk to the therapist about the anxiety issues and what is causing them. They should give you advice and suggestions for coping mechanisms. Most therapist are very conscientious about your privacy and there should be no "leaks", if there is it can cost them there job.

Be truthful, factual, and honest about the situations and help her help you to figure out what the underling issues are and do not be surprised if it takes several visits just to get the front and foremost issues dealt with before there is any discussions about lesser issues like AB/DL.

Good luck.

Maybe it would put you at ease to begin your first session by asking your therapist about her confidentiality policy?

What I can see is that talking to therapists is like conversing with a mirror that talks back. They help get to the root of mostly any problem. One thing I don't like about some therapists is that they make you feel "warm and fuzzy" about all the shit raining down on your life, but that is just me. That might be exactly what you need. Either way though, there's no need to worry. The biggest enemy in life is yourself, and you're only as scared as you allow yourself to be. And if word does get out to your family without your consent, you can sue the shit out of the therapist's office and live carefree for the rest of your life. Win-win. It won't happen though, trust me.

Anxiety is oftentimes born out of the resistance to go with the flow. It took me two years to accept that my sister became ill, and it was only because I didn't want to admit that she had changed. It's actually quite silly when you think about it.

In the end, though, what IS there to be afraid of? You're the center of the universe, and no one can take that power away from you. You will get peace one way or another.

For the first time, you usually just go through formalities and what not. You might actually be introduced to talking about your issues, but it's just that. It's actually great to talk to someone about your problems and have them work WITH you to overcome them. You feel like a pressure is lifted off your mind and heart when you're counseled.
    Last edited by TenSwords; 09-Jun-2014 at 06:11.

I'd recommend sitting down in advance of your first therapy session and making notes about what you want to discuss. You can then refer back to the notes when you're speaking to the therapist (they won't mind). This way you can make sure that you've covered everything that has been worrying you and be confident that you've not forgotten any questions you wanted to ask.

Good luck!