Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massacre of 3 RCMP Officers in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Default Massacre of 3 RCMP Officers in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Good Evening,

Just been watching online the CBC news reports about the Wednesday massacre of 3 RCMP Officers in Moncton, NB.

Where in hell did that perpetrator get all that firepower, given the extremely strict Canadian Gun Control Laws?

Also, I wonder how much American "Tea Party Kool-Aid" online had the perpetrator been drinking down?

Canada's gun laws are roughly in line with states like New York or California. Annoying but nothing like Japan, Jamaica or the UK. If you have no criminal record you take a weekend course, get some personal references to sign off and in a month or so your licence come in the mail and you can buy as many as you want. And if you can't manage that you can always buy them from illegal sources.

Quote Originally Posted by caitianx View Post
    Good Evening,

Just been watching online the CBC news reports about the Wednesday massacre of 3 RCMP Officers in Moncton, NB.

Where in hell did that perpetrator get all that firepower, given the extremely strict Canadian Gun Control Laws?

Also, I wonder how much American "Tea Party Kool-Aid" online had the perpetrator been drinking down?
    Canadians don't drink "Tea Party Kool-Aid."

Canada actually has extremely lax gun laws for shotguns and rifles (handguns are another story). Justin Bourque used a shotgun and a rifle but no handgun. There is almost no question that he got his guns legally.

Bourque clearly had a massive grudge against the police. He also appeared to be very pro gun (he posted "Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms" on Facebook) and anti-Liberal. He also advocated killing the "1%" and preparing ourselves for an invasion from Russia. It also looks like he was a Megadeth fan that used to work at Wal Mart.

It's just hard to know what his motive is. He is still alive, so we might very well learn why he did it during his trial.

Unrelated, but I nearly spat out my coffee when I saw that the crown prosecutor for the case is Cameron Gunn. Back when I had ambitions to be a barrister I shadowed him for a day. I'm used to seeing his name in the local paper but it's weird to see him working a case that made the news so far from home.

ogod

"massacre", a word that literally does nothing but try to instill fear on a biased source.

Also, other responders are probably right, Canadas' laws are almost as lax as CA or NY, and when I say lax, I mean by anti-gun standards. Otherwise, it's kinda restrictive, but that is outside the scope of the topic.

Newtown, Sandy Hook, Aurora, Dorner, the Rodge, etc. had perps that were using legally acquired weapons that, for the most part, were legal in their respective states.

It is sad to here that this happened... I am a member at a couple other sites and I have friends on there that have family and friend on the RCMP. One of them in particular has friends who worked along side those same officers, who died, every day. Luckily they got this dirt bag in custody.

Uk gun laws were laxer at one time till late 80's early 90's
    1st was a man with a pump action shot gut and assault rifle in Hungerford Berkshire walking down the high street shooting at any one
    2nd and by far the worse was Dunblane where a man with legal hand guns walks in to the local primary school killing quite a few kids and if not for the quick thinking of Andy murry's teacher and him running late he would have been killed as well and the Uk would have lost a great tennis player

FOOT NOTE
    Uk ,New Zealand front line beat police officers are not armed some in uk may have Taser's all have stab vest in Uk so have no defence against a gun man apart from hitting the panic button on their radio

I find it sad that in the midst of a manhunt during the time the town was in lockdown, the Canadian National Firearms Association chose to put out a press release stating '"Canada's excessive rules in place do not in any way increase public safety."

The police forces hadn't even caught the perpetrator before these people weighed in on it and turned it into a gun control debate. They demonstrated an appalling insensitivity and selfishness as this town was in terror, shock, and mourning. They couldn't even wait until the families, friends and colleagues of the officers had a chance to come to terms with their losses and the predator was apprehended..

In the days ahead, there will be much debate and discussion about gun control, social media, mental health and how they all contributed to this horrible crime. I just wish groups like the National Firearms Association could have taken the time to get the facts and let the families bury their loved ones prior to engaging in such a divisive debate.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 07-Jun-2014 at 16:28.

Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    The police forces hadn't even caught the perpetrator before these people weighed in on it and turned it into a gun control debate.
    Yup. Every time something like this happens, we get to sit through yet another few months of gun control debate.

The irony here is that from the initial reports, it is sounding like this guy got caught up in the US gun control debate and anti-authority mindset. Not saying we don't have the same natively, but it has nowhere near the passion as down in the US. There's a certain cognitive dissonance that comes from the constant stream of US news we get in our media.

Its a tragic situation for the dead officers and their families. There is an ever growing number of people who become discontent with those in law enforcement and will take it too far. I know not all cops are bad, and the media whether main stream or alternative plays a huge role in shaping peoples perspective opinions.

Modern weapons do hold a lot of firepower compared to say 50 years ago. It almost seems like the arms race never ended with gun manufacturers coming up with designs such as shotguns that hold more than ten rounds, rifles that hold 30+ and handguns that hold up to 20 rounds.

One side of the debate is fueled by knee jerk emotional reactions and the other side is fueled by statistical data (which is often miss-represented) and the whole "no law will ever stop bad people."

Yes it sucks people die needlessly but the fact remains that none of us are getting off this planet alive. Enjoy life to the fullest while you can and those who will do harm to others to fulfill a personal agenda, well let them suffer the consequences of their actions. I just figure its easier to live and let live than to try and force others to my way of thinking. I don't think there will ever be real true peace on Earth anyhow. People will continue to kill each other well into the foreseeable future.