Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the reason for all diapers jumping on the cloth backed wagon all the sudden

Default Whats the reason for all diapers jumping on the cloth backed wagon all the sudden

First let me say I am not trying to start a war with fellow members but I just wonder why all diapers are starting to go cloth backed? Personally I use a mix of cloth backed and plastic backed diapers and they both have their benefits and their downfalls like I wouldnt have worn a plastic backed to work today because it is hot and humid so my diaper area would have been all in rash by now, just like I wouldnt wear a cloth backed to bed tonite after drinking alot of water because it would leak everywhere. Plastic and cloth backed diapers are so radically different I dont see how they can even commit to one or the other. Also some diaper companies when they switch or start to offer a cloth backing they improve like Tranqullity smartcore, they are better than the atn to me anyway. Yet we have Abena that ran cloth and plastic backed side by side for years then all the sudden they kill off all the plastic backed except the M4 and L4 and commit to a cloth backing that leaks, sweats and clumps thus negating the purpose of wearing a diaper. Those are really the only 2 examples I can think of but if anyone thinks of more feel free to chime in!
    Like I said I am not trying to start i fight or offend die hard plastic or cloth fans I am just curious why companies are switching to cloth only. Thanks

The market is geared primarily towards true IC folks who do not see diapers as anything but negative. The cloth ones are generally more accepted as being more comfortable (due to airflow concerns) and for being much more discreet.

Probably because most folks ( the target audience) don't want to crinkle. My dad just had his prostate removed, and he was insistant on quiet protection. He doesn't revel in it like I do, so I totally understand why they are going to clothlike. Doesn't change the fact that cloth backing sucks though. I, and most of us I assume, share your chagrin. OMG BTW, Reading this post, I should clarify...Dad doesn't know I am DL. I think.

It's also so they can control their costs. Their biggest customers are the nursing homes so they can lower their costs.
    Most of the IC suppliers probably like it as well. With the cost of the plastic polymer going up they can make a lot more
    cloth backed diapers out of the same amount of polymer.

I enjoy both for the same reasons cloth when i go to work and not so hot then i enjoy the plastic ones at home and bedtime. I think we are seeing more cloth diapers mainly because of higher sales then the plastic ones and harder to sell plastic ones because of competition I think depends and molicares will always sell plastic ones primarily because they are easy to buy in the states at alot of stores and that makes it cheaper for me rather then paying shipping costs

Quote Originally Posted by MolicareMan View Post
    The cloth ones are generally more accepted as being more comfortable (due to airflow concerns) and for being much more discreet.
    Bingo. As much as the older Abena M4 air plus diaers I have suck as far as tapes go, they're way more comfortable, IMO, than a comparable plastic backed one. The noise is also an issue, as well as breathability on most plastic backed diapers, which are virtually none. I'm active, so they really suck for that as well as in the heat. In the cold, plastic works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    It's also so they can control their costs. Their biggest customers are the nursing homes so they can lower their costs.
    Most of the IC suppliers probably like it as well. With the cost of the plastic polymer going up they can make a lot more
    cloth backed diapers out of the same amount of polymer.
    Possibly, though features like discreetness and breathability are pretty big. I'd love to get my hands on the new slip maxis that are going cloth, but sadly, I don't think there is a demand in the US outside of the plastic ones.

Second the discreteness and breathability, I think the majority that wear diapers are not if the ABDL lifestyle, so they're just catering to their demographic

I don't think they are changing right now. I think that there's a major shift coming back to plastic. Especially in this community. Because there's been at least four different releases in the last year that up in plastic. I'd say you're gaining popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by twentyfourseven View Post
    Second the discreteness and breathability, I think the majority that wear diapers are not if the ABDL lifestyle, so they're just catering to their demographic
    Even for those who are ABDL, many want a diaper they can wear discreetly due to family/friends/roommates/general fear of going outside. And I think everyone agrees that not having your private area burning up from heat in summer is a good thing. So there's consistent demand from the IC crowd and mixed demand from our crowd. Makes sense to go to cloth backing to me.

I use the cloth like diapers in the summer. It's hot down south and this type is more comfortable. You do have to change more often which in hot weather is probably a good thing. However, my preference is plastic backed as they do a better job.