Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Computer Hardware

Default Your Computer Hardware

Just curious because I've seen that a few people like video card (hopefully PC gaming :P) and I'm wondering what kind of hardware you're all running.

Sorry if I seem to post threads about other stuff than diapers but to be honest I'm not really sure what to do about them, I'm a little inexperienced in this field.

Computers! The best topic that isn't related to diapers or the other stuff, lol.

I run a computer my father built for me as a 'bare bones system' basically designed so that once I get money I can upgrade it.

My computer specs are the following:
    Windows 7 64 Bit Home premium.
    I have 8 Gigs of ram
    I run an AMD FX(tm) 6100 6 core processor running at ~ 3.3 Ghz.
    I have an AMD Radeon HD 5450 running at 1 gig of memory.
    My harddrive is 500 GB.
    The motherboard is an Asus M5A 78L-M LX Plus

As for accessories I have a wireless logitech m510 with 5 buttons and a 4 way scroll wheel. An Acer Keyboard model 2971 lol... and a Samsung SyncMaster 760VTFT monitor at the resolution of 1280 x 1024.... it's a sad small resolution I know... but i love my monitor... lol.

I once started counted the number of computers I have at home, but eventually gave up. Here's partial list:

Several Raspberry Pis, doing various things (including one hooked up to the tv running xbmc).
    An old mac mini (intel 32 bit) that used to be hooked up to the tv, and is now retired after lengthy and valient service.
    A fancier media center pc (pre-haswell nuc) that was going to be hooked up to the tv, but I never got around to it once I realized the pi did all I needed. It now hosts several VMs.
    Personal laptop (~2-3 year old macbook air)
    Other personal laptop (most recent thinkpad with a *real thinkpad keyboard*, not the chiclet keyboards they have now) - running arch linux.
    Other older personal laptop, running windows 7 for the occasional time I need windows.
    Work laptop (15 inch retina macbook pro :-)).
    File server running FreeNAS with tons of storage (~20TB available in a striped raidz2 configuration).
    Backup fileserver with zfs replication from the primary (because backups are important).
    Supermicro xeon E3 with 32GB memory I built for running VMs with Centos 6 and kvm.
    24 port gigabit cisco switch (does this count? I can ssh to it :-)).
    Older intel atom for my router.
    Older sparc64 workstation running OpenBSD, although this is currently off because one of the fans got too loud and I haven't replaced it yet.
    There are more, in various states of repair.

As you can tell, I'm not really into gaming, so my answer probably wasn't what you were looking for. I'm much more likely to get excited about a computer with serial console access than a fancy graphics card :-). Or a real serial terminal - I occasionally look on ebay for real vt100s. Although a nice graphics card to play around with GPGPU stuff might be fun. I've considered litecoin/dogecoin mining as a justification for one, but power is too expensive here, so it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAcorn View Post
    I once started counted the number of computers I have at home, but eventually gave up. Here's partial list:

Several Raspberry Pis, doing various things (including one hooked up to the tv running xbmc).
    An old mac mini (intel 32 bit) that used to be hooked up to the tv, and is now retired after lengthy and valient service.
    A fancier media center pc (pre-haswell nuc) that was going to be hooked up to the tv, but I never got around to it once I realized the pi did all I needed. It now hosts several VMs.
    Personal laptop (~2-3 year old macbook air)
    Other personal laptop (most recent thinkpad with a *real thinkpad keyboard*, not the chiclet keyboards they have now) - running arch linux.
    Other older personal laptop, running windows 7 for the occasional time I need windows.
    Work laptop (15 inch retina macbook pro :-)).
    File server running FreeNAS with tons of storage (~20TB available in a striped raidz2 configuration).
    Backup fileserver with zfs replication from the primary (because backups are important).
    Supermicro xeon E3 with 32GB memory I built for running VMs with Centos 6 and kvm.
    24 port gigabit cisco switch (does this count? I can ssh to it :-)).
    Older intel atom for my router.
    Older sparc64 workstation running OpenBSD, although this is currently off because one of the fans got too loud and I haven't replaced it yet.
    There are more, in various states of repair.

As you can tell, I'm not really into gaming, so my answer probably wasn't what you were looking for. I'm much more likely to get excited about a computer with serial console access than a fancy graphics card :-). Or a real serial terminal - I occasionally look on ebay for real vt100s. Although a nice graphics card to play around with GPGPU stuff might be fun. I've considered litecoin/dogecoin mining as a justification for one, but power is too expensive here, so it's not worth it.
    That is quite a list, also love those Xeon's. I have something like 6 old Woodcrest (basically Conroe) Xeon's in my draw that I can't do anything with because they are LGA 771. Might look for a board sometime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post
    Computers! The best topic that isn't related to diapers or the other stuff, lol.

I run a computer my father built for me as a 'bare bones system' basically designed so that once I get money I can upgrade it.

My computer specs are the following:
    Windows 7 64 Bit Home premium.
    I have 8 Gigs of ram
    I run an AMD FX(tm) 6100 6 core processor running at ~ 3.3 Ghz.
    I have an AMD Radeon HD 5450 running at 1 gig of memory.
    My harddrive is 500 GB.
    The motherboard is an Asus M5A 78L-M LX Plus

As for accessories I have a wireless logitech m510 with 5 buttons and a 4 way scroll wheel. An Acer Keyboard model 2971 lol... and a Samsung SyncMaster 760VTFT monitor at the resolution of 1280 x 1024.... it's a sad small resolution I know... but i love my monitor... lol.
    I'm not a huge fan of AMD anymore though I do like their APU's but looking at that the only thing that needs upgrading is the video card and maybe an SSD if you want quicker access times and loading times.

This is my main desktop:
    Case: Antec 1200 ultimate gaming case
    Mobo: Evga x58
    Processor: Intel core I7 2.66ghz 920 OC @ 3.2 with corsair H70 enclosed liquid cooling
    Ram: G.Skill 24gb PC3-12800 Ram
    Graphics: MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 570
    Hard Drive: Western Digital velo-raptor 150gb 10000 rpm, Western Digital Black 1tb 7200 rpm, Western Digital Black 2tb 7200 rpm, Seagate 1tb 7200 rpm
    Power Supply: Antec 850 watt truepower Quattro

Accessories:
    Keyboard: Razer Battlefield 3 Edition Black Widow Ultimate
    Mouse: Mad Catz M.M.O. 7 Gaming Mouse
    Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 wireless
    Monitor: Samsung 32" UN32EH5300 Smart TV

i'm actually in the middle of setting up a raspberry pi so that i can terminal to it through bluetooth.

other than that my laptop is a MSI GT60.
    cpu: intel core i7
    ram: 12gb
    hdd: 750gb 7200rpm
    graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M/2gb GDDR5

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of AMD anymore though I do like their APU's but looking at that the only thing that needs upgrading is the video card and maybe an SSD if you want quicker access times and loading times.
    Video Card is horrible, it rarely can keep up with the rest of the system. It's funny, I can play really intensive games, I just can't play anything that is graphically intensive, lmao.

I built mine from scratch about 2-3 years ago for a grand. It was the most awesome project I had in a long time, and I don't regret it in the slightest!

What I've got inside:
    Windows 7 64bt Ultimate
    6gigs of Ram
    Intel Core i7
    NVidia GeForce GTX 560Ti (my last card exploded, so I got a bit of an upgrade, thanks evga)
    I've got two hard drives, one sitting at a solid terrabyte, and a second at half that for backups and art files.
    The motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth, heck if I know the model numbers anymore, its been awhile.

The rest of my computer...is not so fancy, until you get to the drawing tablet. $20 mouse and keyboard logitek combo, cheapest CD drive I could find, and a $80 set of speakers with built in sub woofer. The monitor is an LG, on the small side, I think 18inch? with a resolution of 1900x600. But the HD tablet is where compy shines, a Wacom Cintiq 13HD with all the fixings. I could hug her, she was worth as much as the computer!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalMelody View Post
    I built mine from scratch about 2-3 years ago for a grand. It was the most awesome project I had in a long time, and I don't regret it in the slightest!

What I've got inside:
    Windows 7 64bt Ultimate
    6gigs of Ram
    Intel Core i7
    NVidia GeForce GTX 560Ti (my last card exploded, so I got a bit of an upgrade, thanks evga)
    I've got two hard drives, one sitting at a solid terrabyte, and a second at half that for backups and art files.
    The motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth, heck if I know the model numbers anymore, its been awhile.

The rest of my computer...is not so fancy, until you get to the drawing tablet. $20 mouse and keyboard logitek combo, cheapest CD drive I could find, and a $80 set of speakers with built in sub woofer. The monitor is an LG, on the small side, I think 18inch? with a resolution of 1900x600. But the HD tablet is where compy shines, a Wacom Cintiq 13HD with all the fixings. I could hug her, she was worth as much as the computer!
    Sweet, those 560 Ti's are still beast cards today

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post
    Video Card is horrible, it rarely can keep up with the rest of the system. It's funny, I can play really intensive games, I just can't play anything that is graphically intensive, lmao.
    A GeForce GTX 750 should be a decent upgrade, cheap, powerful and they don't use a lot of power

My Specs are these:-

Cooler Master 335U Elite
    Intel Core i3-2120 (Long live Sandy Bridge)
    MSI Z68A-G43 G3 Motherboard
    Kingston Hyper-X Blue DDR3-1600 4x1GB
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB for OS and Programs
    WD Scorpio Black 750GB for Storage
    OCZ Technology ZS Series 550w PSU
    MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Gaming (I have the GTX 650 Ti installed at the moment)
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Not the most powerful computer in the world but she is quite a beast though I will be getting 2x4GB Kingston Hyper-X Fury White DDR3-1866 RAM within 2-4 weeks and hopefully a Core i5-2400 before the summer is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    Sweet, those 560 Ti's are still beast cards today
    Awesome! I count myself as very lucky then :3 I mean, I figured if it was free (replacement, free, whatever) how good could it be, right?