Thread: TrueCrypt is no longer secure.

Default TrueCrypt is no longer secure.

I used TrueCrypt for all my DL/furry related stuff. It was pretty secure. However, they have stopped updating it and are recommending to use BitLocker instead. Thought you all should know.

Unfortunately, only Win 7 Enterprise & Ultimate have Bitlocker. Should I even be worried about this at all, though? There aren't any hackers in my family. Also, so far, it doesn't seem like anyone has figured out why/how TrueCrypt isn't secure.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    Unfortunately, only Win 7 Enterprise & Ultimate have Bitlocker. Should I even be worried about this at all, though? There aren't any hackers in my family. Also, so far, it doesn't seem like anyone has figured out why/how TrueCrypt isn't secure.
    Where Truecrypt drives were always secure, an issue was discovered with the OS's that were being used to access the encrypted drive. It was to do with ie, MS Windows temporary and dump files - under given circumstances. The consensus then was that an encrypted drive was safe as houses, so long as it was kept separate from the OS used to access it.

I don't think there is a real security issue since it is unlikely that anyone will want to hack into your drive. Heck I looked for 6 months for a way to hack my own truecrypt drive when I forgot the password and couldn't find any published security holes.

The truecrypt thing is kinda baffling. Personally I've never used it (I use dmcrypt) but it was certainly one of the more well known open source encryption tools.

The thing that strikes me is that they just recently were having a 3rd party audit done to allay fears from the whole NSA thing. Statements have been made that the two are unconnected, but the timing is kinda uncanny.

At the very least, if they found something, it's probably well out of the realm of something your average ne'er-do-well could use. It's been hammered on by various security researchers for a long time. If there was anything, it would probably be along the lines of a subtle tweak that makes it slightly weaker and in the realm of possibility for for the NSA to break it with massive computing resources.

As an alternative, might check out PGP. It's also pretty well known and trusted.

It's still fine, even with their reduced rounds (11 instead of 14 iirc) brute force is the best known way to crack their encryption.

it's still safe especially if you have encrypted volume in encrypted volume (double encryption)