Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Game you ever remember playing

Default First Game you ever remember playing

For me it was 1984, pcs were still in their infancy and me as a young kid of 4, maybe 5 saw my dad play the original King's Quest, I was hooked on the series and gaming ever since then

I remember playing Pitfall on our Intelevision game player. I loved playing Wizardry on our Apple IIe. You had to make your own maps on grid player, and it was mostly text based, but I had a blast playing that game. My two sons played it as well.

Heh Wizardry I still have ragemares over those games, always used to get lost and wind up way past where I was supposed to go and get absolutely slaughtered... I need to try them again now that I know more of what I'm doing but havnt had time :S

There was a series of three similar program, one of them being called "Mountains of Mars", then came "Commander Keen", and I can't think of the earlier one... There were earlier games (solitaire, etc), but these were the first of their kind, I believe. All of the Nintendo games followed. Of course, then along came Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, their 3D versions and second & third incarnations, as well as shareware vs retail (full levels) versions... Nobody seemed to be into it when I was doing it, but basically Halo (and its' shoot-em-up counterparts) are just way more detailed/functional versions of some of those early role playing games.

I used to also fly flight sims, which eventually led to the earliest online gaming with some WWI combat planes, but they were oftentimes hacked by guys that had zero flying skill, but tremendous hacking skill, ruining the experience AND proving they had bigger dicks than anyone.... I still fly flight sims (LOMAC, MSX), but again, it's hard to find others that are into aviation for the flight realism, as opposed to the shoot-everything-that-flies junkies.

I should add that the Mountains of Mars game, and the earlier one I mentioned, were early PC games, not console games like Pong, or pinball-type games. I think they MAY have even been too advanced to run on IBMPC's, but they ran great on PC AT's.
    Last edited by Jamieboy; 31-May-2014 at 15:58. Reason: update

in about 1971 or 72 in winter.... in Yakima Washington....
    a friend and i were just driving through and stopped to shop and use the facilities in this big store in town. and there in the front of the store with the pin-ball games was this big arcade game called PONG..... it took quarters and made the coolest sounds when you played it. it was addicting.

Commando at the Arcade. Mid 80's I think. I missed the Arcades. Now almost every video game is at home.

The first game I played was either Mouse Trap or Donkey Kong on my Coleco Gemini (Atari 2600 clone) in 1982-83. I also had the oft-maligned E.T. game, although I actually enjoyed it. *dodges rotten vegetables*

Quote Originally Posted by BabyToddler View Post
    I missed the Arcades. Now almost every video game is at home.
    I do too. Those huge old pizza places that were half pizza restaurant, half arcade were the best! They just aren't around (here) anymore. And now, arcade machines seem to be several generations behind the latest home consoles in terms of graphics. I remember, as a kid, hiking to the local bowling alley and being astounded at the then-amazing graphics of the arcade machines. About all they have going for them these days are the cabinets and controls. Fighting games like Street Fighter are one of my favorite genres, and I still hate playing them with handheld controllers while sitting down. It just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    The first game I played was either Mouse Trap or Donkey Kong on my Coleco Gemini (Atari 2600 clone) in 1982-83. I also had the oft-maligned E.T. game, although I actually enjoyed it. *dodges rotten vegetables*

I do too. Those huge old pizza places that were half pizza restaurant, half arcade were the best! They just aren't around (here) anymore. And now, arcade machines seem to be several generations behind the latest home consoles in terms of graphics. I remember, as a kid, hiking to the local bowling alley and being astounded at the then-amazing graphics of the arcade machines. About all they have going for them these days are the cabinets and controls. Fighting games like Street Fighter are one of my favorite genres, and I still hate playing them with handheld controllers while sitting down. It just doesn't work.
    I know I missed those places too. I remember playing Street Fighter too. My friend and I when we got off from work. We would drive down to the Arcade just to play Street Fighter. We would spent hours there. I still think that Street Fighter 2 on the Super NES was the best home console. The controls were easy for the game. But I still missed the original Arcade game. I remember when I spend time down in Southern California with my friends we would go to place like Camelot, Family Fun Center, and Golf N Stuff. I don't know if any of those places are still around now? But I heard that there is a new one called Boomers. My friends said that it sucks and the games and fun stuff was not like it use to be. But you like Go karts there is a place off the 405 freeway in Southern California. It is called Go Kart World with 8 tracks that place was cool! I think it is still there. The other place was off the 60 Freeway called SpeedZone. That is another cool place. One of my other friends likes the old game Ghost and Goblins. He found it at a place called Nickel Nickel 5 Cents Games. I missed a lot of those places. That was the best eating and playing Arcade games!

This is actually a tough one. The first games I ever played was from the first console my brother and I ever owned, which was the Nintendo 64. The two games in question were Super Mario 64 and Yoshi's Story. However, I can't quite remember which one we played first, as I remember both of them not only fondly, but really well.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyToddler View Post
    Commando at the Arcade. Mid 80's I think. I missed the Arcades. Now almost every video game is at home.
    Surprisingly, nearly every truck stop still has arcade-style games, including the one I'm in now, but they don't seem to get much attention, and space is at a premium, so I don't expect them to be around much sooner, in the truck stops. They're currently remodeling all of the showers; how long before they realize there are no quarters in the slots, and turn those arcade rooms into bigger laundry facilities??? The laundry room barely hold two people, and only two washers and two dryers. The arcade room could hold ten of each... That's progress.