Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laverne Cox Makes Cover of Time Magazine

Default Laverne Cox Makes Cover of Time Magazine

I saw that Laverne Cox has made the cover of Time magazine and thought that was an interesting story to pint out, if it hasn't already been posted, that is: Laverne Cox, transgender actress on 'Orange Is the New Black,' lands on Time cover - NY Daily News

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    I saw that Laverne Cox has made the cover of Time magazine and thought that was an interesting story to pint out, if it hasn't already been posted, that is: Laverne Cox, transgender actress on 'Orange Is the New Black,' lands on Time cover - NY Daily News
    Too be honest, it was her episode that made me Nope from Orange is the New Black. Though I couldn't get into the show at all.

It's weird because I like Hemlock Grove. But OITNB has more going on plot wise, but it's still more boring then Hemlock Grove which was below average for a TV show.

I didn't know the actor was actually transgendered, I figured it was just another acting like, like in Modern Family where one of the gay people is actually openly straight.

Yeah, basically what happened is LOADS of people voted for her to be in the TIME's 100 People (not sure of the exact name), and... she did not get in, despite having a far higher ratio of yeses to nos and a lot more votes than other people who made it onto the list. Time didn't offer any explanation for why she'd been omitted, and people got (rightfully tbh) pissed, started messaging Time in droves and I'm guessing the pressure made them crack and do this cover.

Uh, also, little note here: transgender is an adjective, not a verb. A person is transgender, not 'transgendered'*, because being trans is a state of being, not something that happens to you. It'd be like saying 'she's homosexualed' or something.

*page 10

CrinklySiren

My friend told me about this; step in the right direction i say <3. Maybe soon Victoria's Secret will get with the program and start having Carmen Carerra as one of their models. Quite motivational.

I am excited. This is a copy of the Time I actually want to own. I might frame it. To me the state of trans* rights/treatment is a good litimus test as far as to how society is doing for me. I try to be as inclusive and supportive as possible towarss all queer folk, but transphobia just hits to close to home for me as an ABDL*. When I see it I feel like "that could be me".

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    I am excited. This is a copy of the Time I actually want to own. I might frame it. To me the state of trans* rights/treatment is a good litimus test as far as to how society is doing for me. I try to be as inclusive and supportive as possible towarss all queer folk, but transphobia just hits to close to home for me as an ABDL*. When I see it I feel like "that could be me".
    sweet jesus.

firstly, idk if you're queer but if you're not... pls don't use it because it's a reclaimed slur.

secondly pls don't fucking compare being an ABDL to being trans/lgbtq+ oh jeez. can you not just see people who are actually oppressed and sympathise with them without making it about your obsession with being a child?

CrinklySiren

Default Laverne Cox Makes Cover of Time Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by CharliePup View Post
    sweet jesus.

firstly, idk if you're queer but if you're not... pls don't use it because it's a reclaimed slur.
    I think that not allowing non queer people to use the word queer is as pointless as getting mad at anyone who's not black for calling their friends "n*gga".. You're giving too much power to one word, that as you said is a reclaimed slur

Having said that... proper words aside.. I kinda have to agree with what you said about comparing ABDL to being trans or LGB.... while i wouldn't have worded it so abrasively... comparing being ABDL to being LGBTQ etc... well, lets just say it pales in comparison in terms of discrimination and struggle..

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklyEmilyLG View Post
    I think that not allowing non queer people to use the word queer is as pointless as getting mad at anyone who's not black for calling their friends "n*gga".. You're giving too much power to one word, that as you said is a reclaimed slur
    Yo, opinions vary. TBH that was mostly an afterthought (and also because foreversmall has used 'queer' in the past in completely inappropriate ways). I'm mostly just exasperated with foreversmall's continued attempts to draw a connection between real oppression and being an ABDL.

Quote Originally Posted by CharliePup View Post
    Yo, opinions vary. TBH that was mostly an afterthought (and also because foreversmall has used 'queer' in the past in completely inappropriate ways). I'm mostly just exasperated with foreversmall's continued attempts to draw a connection between real oppression and being an ABDL.
    OK, I'll bite, what qualifies as "real oppression"?