Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still like Windows XP? Well keep using it with this mod!

Default Still like Windows XP? Well keep using it with this mod!

I was snooping around on the net and came across this post on zdnet.com

Quote Originally Posted by zdnet.com
    As reported by Wayne Williams at Betanews and confirmed by us, a simple registry hack to a Windows XP system tricks Windows Update into providing updates for it.

Williams says that the hack, included just below, makes the system look like Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 which will continue to receive updated until April 9, 2019.

To apply the hack, create a text file with a .reg extension and the contents below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
    "Installed"=dword:00000001

Registry hack enables continued updates for Windows XP | ZDNet

It does work. I happened to have an old XP box hanging around and thought I would try it just for the hell of it!

The best update for windows XP:

get rid of it.

That system is so full of security holes, instabilities etc... that it's the best thing to just let it die.

My Windows 8 died on May 18. I can restart it and the login screen does not show. The desktop shows a little, but I think RTO is totally gone. I went on it this Tuesday and the date was locked in the lower left of 5/18 but on the lower right it had updated to 5/27
    What should I do? What did I do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post

get rid of it.

That system is so full of security holes, instabilities etc... that it's the best thing to just let it die.

Everyone has different views. The hack I found gives you important security updates via Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 updates which Microsoft still has support out for and will till April 9 2019. Just in case you missed that on the page I posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinating View Post
    My Windows 8 died on May 18. I can restart it and the login screen does not show. The desktop shows a little, but I think RTO is totally gone. I went on it this Tuesday and the date was locked in the lower left of 5/18 but on the lower right it had updated to 5/27
    What should I do? What did I do wrong?
    I have never used Windows 8 nor will I ever due to the ugly Metro interface, so im afraid I wont be much help. Ive gone to mainly Linux now days unless I'm working on music production in which case I use my XP box.
    Last edited by baby_mike; 30-May-2014 at 04:38.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post

get rid of it.

Also your statements are false according to Microsoft who released this in there biannual SIR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1401421903817.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	21048

Windows 7 doesn't seem to be much safer then XP.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...ays-microsoft/

My XP died from overheating. My Vista got hacked and they deleted my restore partition so I could not use it. I gave it to the kids. Now I have a Windows 7 as my main computer but I run it with a Linux USB for work every day. We have 3 laptops with Windows 8 and only one has lasted much over a year. Two have to go back under the extended protection plans and will not boot to metro anymore. The Toshiba I bought first of the 3 about 16 months ago and my 16 year old uses it. It is a 15 inch and I wanted a 10 inch but now my little one died.
    F.L.

Yeah. It ain't good to be running an OS that isn't getting security updates anymore. Not in this day and age. Without periodic updates, XP is basically a rotting corpse. Time to bury it and move on. Some day, it might re-emerge as a cool retro OS to be running on fifty-year-old hardware, and by then, perhaps, all of the compatible viruses will have died off.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike
    It does work. I happened to have an old XP box hanging around and thought I would try it just for the hell of it!
    Yes, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    We recently became aware of a hack that purportedly aims to provide security updates to Windows XP customers. The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers. Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP. The best way for Windows XP customers to protect their systems is to upgrade to a more modern operating system, like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
    XP Embedded is a small subset of the XP product consumers are running. The patches aren't quite the same, and don't address the full breadth of regular XP. Ordinarily I'd be inclined to doubt a company response like this, being as there is obvious financial incentive for Microsoft to get customers off XP, however it turns out that I have some experience with both of these products and know that the statement is true.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 30-May-2014 at 06:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Yeah. It ain't good to be running an OS that isn't getting security updates anymore. Not in this day and age. Without periodic updates, XP is basically a rotting corpse. Time to bury it and move on. Some day, it might re-emerge as a cool retro OS to be running on fifty-year-old hardware, and by then, perhaps, all of the compatible viruses will have died off.
    That's what this mod does for you. Windows XP SP3 is the back bone for Windows Embedded POSReady which is still officially supported till 2019. Adding that modified reg key to Windows XP tricks the Windows Update Software into thinking that you are actually running Windows Embedded and allows you to download current software and important security updates. If you don't believe it works give it a try yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    That's what this mod does for you. Windows XP SP3 is the back bone for Windows Embedded POSReady which is still officially supported till 2019. Adding that modified reg key to Windows XP tricks the Windows Update Software into thinking that you are actually running Windows Embedded and allows you to download current software and important security updates. If you don't believe it works give it a try yourself!
    I believe that it does something, it's just not a very good something. Per my edited response above: The patches you'll get with this hack only address a tiny part of the whole OS, so you're not gaining much. Plus, as these updates are tailored to POSReady, there's a good chance they'll do bad things. POSReady is not just a re-branding of XP. It's different on a pretty fundamental level.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I believe that it does something, it's just not a very good something. Per my edited response above: The patches you'll get with this hack only address a tiny part of the whole OS, so you're not gaining much. Plus, as these updates are tailored to POSReady, there's a good chance they'll do bad things. POSReady is not just a re-branding of XP. It's different on a pretty fundamental level.

Time will tell how well it will work. There are still many hard core xp users, do t mistake me for one either the only reason I use it is because my USB midi keyboard has no support past xp. Lol

I just thought that this mid was neat, I don't think it will be long before Microsoft closes the hole though!