Thread: In remembrance: Dr. Maya Angelou has left this life as we know it...

Default In remembrance: Dr. Maya Angelou has left this life as we know it...

Famed poet and author Maya Angelou died this morning in North Carolina. She was 86...
    If somehow you knew nothing of her before... I would ask you to explore now...

Mayaangelou.com

I think that for me... I would say that Maya Angelou is was the living, practiced definition of humane... of what is humane...

Here are 13 of some of her best:

• "We allow our ignorance to prevail upon us and make us think we can survive alone, alone in patches, alone in groups, alone in races, even alone in genders."
    • "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
    • "History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, however, if faced with courage, need not be lived again."
    • "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them."
    • "One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."
    • "Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope."
    • "Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it."
    • "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."
    • "The honorary duty of a human being is to love."
    • "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
    • "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass."
    • "I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way (s)he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."
    • "Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option."
    Please leave a little note of commentary, reflection, and what you've been inspired by...

Thank you!
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinating View Post
    Oprah loved her. Didn't they do a trip together?
    Oprah did acid?!

Maya Angelou was a friend of Nikkie Giovanni. Nikkie Giovanni is a famous poet and teaches English at Virginia Tech where my daughter also teaches English. My point is that N. G. is gay as Oprah is supposed to be, so it's possible the M. A. has traveled with Oprah. They're all amazing people.

When I heard the news today I was saddened, as Maya Angelou has been a favorite poet of mine. I certainly have admired her and her ability to express herself with such beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Maya Angelou was a friend of Nikkie Giovanni. Nikkie Giovanni is a famous poet and teaches English at Virginia Tech where my daughter also teaches English. My point is that N. G. is gay as Oprah is supposed to be, so it's possible the M. A. has traveled with Oprah. They're all amazing people.

When I heard the news today I was saddened, as Maya Angelou has been a favorite poet of mine. I certainly have admired her and her ability to express herself with such beauty.
    Thank you! One might think that she isn't much to look at, her voice is low, and almost coarse... yet, she is one of the most beautiful people I've known of... Now, only to have known her... that time has passed along with Maya's life here... Do not some of her quotes mean anything amongst you?! The power, the love, and the humanity... it seems so apparent to me... do you not see it??

Would you not know it? I guess I had forgotten, or not realized... Maya, has been a great point of inspiration to me...
    I'm not mourning her passing, as much as I'm relishing in her gifts to this life... apologies if I'm a bit preachy, or if I come off a bit fanatical...

Who does not see the marvel here?! Who does not see how she came to such wisdom... such patience ... such love... She does not come with a 'silver-spoon'... or easy-street... she gives us hope, where there may have been none... she had suffered, yet she gives... http://www.biography.com/people/maya...oFCQsS19eb3tUp

For those of you jaded, despondent , or without hope... "we all have something to offer"... let me tell you again! "we all have something to offer" -Maya Angelou

"we all have something to offer" -Marka

"with hope... good morning!" ... wake up!
    wake up!
    wake up!
    wake up!
    With love,
    -Marka

...good 'morning'!

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    Maya, has been a great point of inspiration to me...
    I'm not mourning her passing, as much as I'm relishing in her gifts to this life... apologies if I'm a bit preachy, or if I come off a bit fanatical...
    Me too, Marka. I am sad she's no longer here, but I am grateful for all the wisdom she has left behind. That's what I love about writing... her words, her thoughts, her philosophy, can change the lives of people who are not yet born. It's amazing. In this way she is still alive, still making a difference, still provoking thought, and will be for a very long time to come.

There were several editorials today in the Washington Post reminding us of who she was and her contribution to not just poetry, but what it is to be human. Her poem "I Rise" was quoted in one of the editorials. I was amazed at how she chose her words, how they related and hinted. When we lose a poet of her caliber, it's like losing music. We need those notes to remind us who we are, our journey and where we are going.

My wife and I saw Maya Angelou speak back in '08 I believe. It was truly amazing to hear her. Her stories were funny, sad and interesting from beginning to end. For someone like me with a short attention span, she held mine for the full 1 1/2 hours!