If somehow you knew nothing of her before... I would ask you to explore now...Famed poet and author Maya Angelou died this morning in North Carolina. She was 86...
I think that for me... I would say that Maya Angelou is was the living, practiced definition of humane... of what is humane...
Please leave a little note of commentary, reflection, and what you've been inspired by...Here are 13 of some of her best:
- "We allow our ignorance to prevail upon us and make us think we can survive alone, alone in patches, alone in groups, alone in races, even alone in genders."
- "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
- "History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, however, if faced with courage, need not be lived again."
- "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them."
- "One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."
- "Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope."
- "Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it."
- "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."
- "The honorary duty of a human being is to love."
- "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
- "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass."
- "I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way (s)he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."
- "Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option."