Thread: sunburn!! XP

Default sunburn!! XP

there was a festival at a neighboring beach, so my family and i walked to it, the kind with booths and stuff, like a fair but with more shopping than games.

anyways, i forwent sunblock, thinking that i rarely get a sunburn so why should i put any on? if anything i'll build up a tolerance to it, no? and to make things worse i wore a plain white tank. when i got home, i noticed that i was red EXCEPT for a faded outline where my tank was. and the whole next day and today still it hurts all over my back especially (coincidentally) where the straps of my backpack make contact with my shoulders XP

it hurts quite a lot, do any of you know any quick ways to make it go away?
    or if you at least have a funny sunburn anecdote, that would be just fine as well lol

Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    i forwent sunblock
    Forwent? Forwent?! Wow! That's actually a word! Awesome!

Can't say I've got any easy tips for sunburn. though. If you're not feeling great, you'll want to make sure you're drinking lots of water... and Dioralyte (rehydration salts) might help. Otherwise, sitting in a cool bath for a bit, then slapping on the after-sun lotion should help.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    or if you at least have a funny sunburn anecdote, that would be just fine as well lol
    Hmmm... You reminded me of a family holiday to Cyprus when I was a kid (about 14 or 15). I got realllllly bad sunstroke, and was pretty sick. Not to be too graphic, but I didn't want to stray too far from a lavatory...

Anyway... my mum somehow got mixed up between kaolin & morphine and milk of magnesia. Shall we just say that the two medicines have QUITE the opposite effect. And wow... what an effect... 'Nuff said. I was NOT happy!

This is a home remedy that sounds like it doesn't work, but it does!

Take white vinegar and pour it over the burn. Use a washcloth to gently wash the area in vinegar. It will feel like ice on contact, sometimes stings a bit, but it helps pull out the sting for the day. But make sure to wash yourself down with medium/cold water after (maybe a little mild soap, very very little) or you'll smell like a salad!.

You'll probably want to do it once in the morning and once at night to keep the heat/sting down.

Ice cold lavender extract. Take lavender flowers, steep a small handful of them like tea for 10-15 minutes, then throw it in the freezer for a bit until it's cold. Soak a rag in it, and then keep it against the affected areas like a compress. It'll ease the pain, and generally help the sunburn heal up faster. If you can't get flowers, the essential oil can also be applied, but it's expensive.

You might try Dimethicone Protectorate which is an ointment. I use it on my wife's diabetic feet. They also use it in hospitals where hand washing makes for very raw hands. We have to order it online.

When I was little (last century...) my mum always used calomine lotion on sunburn. That worked a treat.

DLE

[QUOTE=tiny;1190370]Forwent? Forwent?! Wow! That's actually a word! Awesome!

Anyway... my mum somehow got mixed up between kaolin & morphine and milk of magnesia.
    morphine? whoa thats awesome XD and yeah i almost never get to use that word, its one of those stupid words from high school that you never actually use, like tact or veritable :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalMelody View Post
    This is a home remedy that sounds like it doesn't work, but it does!

Take white vinegar and pour it over the burn. Use a washcloth to gently wash the area in vinegar. It will feel like ice on contact, sometimes stings a bit, but it helps pull out the sting for the day. But make sure to wash yourself down with medium/cold water after (maybe a little mild soap, very very little) or you'll smell like a salad!.

You'll probably want to do it once in the morning and once at night to keep the heat/sting down.
    this worked well, thanks. much better now, though i still have the outline of the tnak i had on imprinted on my skin lol i wish there was something to make skin lighter lol

aftersun with aloe vera and calamine lotion. thats what i used when badly burnt. if you in alot of pain take ibuprofen

aloe vera gel works the best!!! instant releif and comes in a gel bottle! also helps from peeling!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by keithandre1 View Post
    aloe vera gel works the best!!! instant releif and comes in a gel bottle! also helps from peeling!!!!
    oh yeah i've tried that stuff, it does work. i actually have a few of the plants in the yard, though for some reason the goo straight out of the plant smells like chicken soup O.O i have no idea why, it just does.