Thread: Pacifier Shifts Teeth Quickly and Causes Pain

Default Pacifier Shifts Teeth Quickly and Causes Pain

I pretty sure that this has happened to others before, and sorry if it's been posted already.

When I suck on any kind of pacifier or keep it in my mouth for 15 minutes or more, it shifts my top teeth outward, it shifts my bottom teeth inward, and it causes pain. After I take it out, there's a gap between my top and bottom front teeth. The gap closes in about 6 hours after overnight usage.

Can someone help me with this issue? I'm not sure if it's because my teeth roots are weak or because of the way I'm using the pacifier. I have a slight overbite (looking from the outside, the top teeth cover the bottom slightly) if that helps any.

I'd love to be able to use a pacifier more often without problems.

Not to alarm you, but that sounds like a possible sign of periodontitis (the more advanced stage of gum disease). Do you find your gums sore or swollen? Teeth naturally move, but they shouldn't move that quickly or that much.

I'd read up on gum disease a bit, and if it sounds like you, go see your dentist.

It could also be nothing or normal for someone with an overbite after long pacifier usage. If you haven't been to the dentist in awhile, it can't hurt (well, you know..) either way.

Just 2 cents from a guy who has terrible teeth.

I'd agree that under normal conditions, a pacifier (or other object in the mouth) would not cause your teeth to move like that. To put things in perspective, I've sucked my thumb or a pacifier for six years, and my teeth have only moved a little bit.

Teeth shouldn't move in that short of time and shouldn't hurt. Not to be redundant, but you probably should go see a dentist. I have poor gums and get my teeth cleaned 3 times a year.

I agree you have issues you should consult your dentist!!! 30 plus years on paci no effects I have minor grind issues that only help it stay in all night!! basicly instead of $500 dentist anti grind tooth caps i use my paci My ex wife had same issues grinding teeth use to wake me up i put in a paci and she slept like a baby but got pissed in morning at me when she woke up with paci !!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Not to alarm you, but that sounds like a possible sign of periodontitis (the more advanced stage of gum disease). Do you find your gums sore or swollen? Teeth naturally move, but they shouldn't move that quickly or that much.
    Usually my gums don't hurt or have issues. I've seen a dentist regularly during time I've been using pacifiers, and they have never mentioned it. I've had gingivitis before, but it has never progressed to more severe periodontitis. It might just be me.

I agree with BoundCoder, it sounds like you have a serious problem with your teeth. I've sucked my thumb my whole life, and let me tell you, it's a lot more likely to cause teeth problems than a pacifier. It's got bone in it, making it rigid, with no give, and yet I have experienced minimal if any movement of my teeth. I'm lucky in this regard, most people experience severe displacement of their front teeth from long-term thumb sucking.

I'll be getting my first real big pacifier (baby ones didn't count, I preferred my thumb anyway so never used them) sometime in the next week or so, and I can't wait. I'll finally have that hand free!

If I use my paci over night I can tell that my teeth have moved a little but after I use it for awhile they feel fine and they won't feel sore.