Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truth, Half-Truth, Lies...

Default Truth, Half-Truth, Lies...

It is an observation I have made time after time again in various Forums that there often comes up a new thread/post with a highly dubious nature in respect to "truth".

This ranges from very obvious fiction presented as the the "truth" to topics of such a border-line content that it is often so hard to believe that it indeed would be true, or at least true to its full extend.

And it is not a phenomenon limited to ADISC or other ABDL Forums, albeit arguably the number of stories that try to be sold as true reports are staggering a bit in comparison to other non kink forums.
    But the similar thing can be witnessed at Incontinence Forums, at Car Forums, etc..

I guess the main aspect comes by the use of aliases - a mask that allows each and everyone to create a persona that is not by necessity in sync with the reality.
    This alter-ego can in my opinion far more easily accommodate either stories based on truth and then embellished to a point where they drop into fictitious form or start as blatant productions of the writers mind.

Whilst in a lot of cases clearly deciding what is truthfully told and what was sold as snake-oil is difficult and can get the talking heads overheated pretty quickly, as it is a conundrum of back and forth arguing - of tries by the originator to justify his claims, to proof the validity of the conduct portrait in the story to the opponents who use whatever tool their toolbox has to de-authorize the provided content of it's claimed status of a true story.
    Others though, basically caught in the act of trying to sell snake oil where even the best-used-before-date has been hanging in a dark corner for a time best untold, simply get rude or flee the crime scene never to come back, at least not with the same alter-ego

Despite the fact, that I believe we are all, to some extent in real-life guilty of fabrication, embellishment, colourisation of the experiences we make whilst sharing them with our circle of acquaintances to make it a more interesting part of our lives, and telling stories is an age-old craft none the less - well despite this
    the very merit of producing blatant lies presented by the Mask (your alias persona on a forum) remains a bit of a mystery to me.

Well if done just right (which is I guess very very rare) no one should call you a liar, and indeed you have sold your tale as a true happening - to what gain, I can only wonder...
    But if caught "in flagranti" you will stand a huge loss of "face", your alias becomes tainted and hated at best - your credibility ruined.
    For what? why commence such an act in the first place?
    What is it such a someone has to gain, by telling an easily spotted weird story, fap-material, fictitious glorification of ones desire, et cetera, et cetera?
    What is someone who does that after? support? a proverbial pat on the back? recognition as someone who has achieved the unbelievable?
    But even if the writer succeeds in convincing the audience of the reality of the material presented, will the author be able to blind himself to the truth, bask in the approval of the audience? I highly doubt it, as the act of deceiving the crowed might have some exhilarating qualities indeed, the act of self-deception must certainly stink quit badly?

What is your take on this kind of material?

My first guess: someone who comes up with such stories isn't interested in participating in a community in the first place. A community, even one that exists mostly online, isn't as anonymous as one might think. It has a lot to do with social structures, reputation, prestige, etc. I know you as EP01, I know that you write tons of good stuff (even if I might not always agree), your avatar is comparable to a certain degree to your offline appearance (I know your face kind of thing; maybe I should get one too), and through time you gave a lot of information about yourself and input to the community, making you an authentic or legitimate member. At that point it doesn't matter that we don't know who you are offline (it is not going to be that much different). But that's hard work and I don't think, that someone is willing to put all that effort into a complete fake. Then of course, identity itself is nothing fixed, it changes over time and it is different depending on who we interact with. At some point in ones life (or community participation), it might have been reasonable to hide certain aspects of ones identity and not give the full picture, which at a later point might lead to discrepancies, but was never intended as a fake.

Having that said, I can't really tell what the motives behind telling wrong stories are, but I think all of your given explanations are apt. Problem still remains: If you're found out, you're out.
    Last edited by Astatine; 26-May-2014 at 12:53. Reason: additional stuff

I agree totally and it even happens on normal forums (I'm a member of a van forum and we've had our fair share of billy bull shite'ers and idiots )
    P/s my posts are from experience , so if I don't know or can't help I won't post

The internet is no different than real life, although its easier to slip into fabrication and embellishment here where there's no way for anyone to call you on it face to face.

Politicians do it for a living.

Football, basketball, and hockey players all perform acts of physical embellishment to draw fouls.

Human nature I guess.

Don't forget the WWF wrestlers biggest actors going

acorn

If you feel that you have been told a porkie, even on here - you have the right to challenge the poster for clarification, there is an article on how to do this correctly.

I personally don't think it really matters a flying f---k if people misrepresent themselves, you will either believe them or not. Personally I could not be arsed to go the route of chasing down the truth of or from others, I'm not paid enough to do so. The way I see it is, I don't know any of you well enough to say that I feel a need to impress and when I close out of ADISC I also leave you all behind.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    "..."..."..."

What is your take on this kind of material?
    And on one end of the spectrum...

Pathological Lying: Symptom or Disease?
    June 01, 2008 | Addiction, Alcohol Abuse, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Comorbidity In Psychiatry, Gambling, Munchausen Syndrome, Psychotic Affective Disorders
    By Charles C. Dike, MD, MPH, MRCPsych
    Linked Articles
    Psychotherapy in a Cage
    Pathological Lying: Symptom or Disease?

Pathological lying (PL) is a controversial topic. There is, as yet, no consensus in the psychiatric community on its definition, although there is general agreement on its core elements. PL is characterized by a long history (maybe lifelong) of frequent and repeated lying for which no apparent psychological motive or external benefit can be discerned. While ordinary lies are goal-directed and are told to obtain external benefit or to avoid punishment, pathological lies often appear purposeless. In some cases, they might be self-incriminating or damaging, which makes the behavior even more incomprehensible. Despite its relative obscurity, PL has been recognized and written about in the psychiatric literature for more than a century. The German physician, Anton Delbruck,1 is credited with being the first to describe the concept of PL. He observed that some of his patients told lies that were so abnormal and out of proportion that they deserved a special category. He sub-sequently described the lies as "pseu- dologia phantastica."
    - See more at: Pathological Lying: Symptom or Disease? | Psychiatric Times
    FWIW... I've also noted a similar extreme of apparently pointless, and more than likely self-jeopardizing fabrications... that tends to occur with a degree of illicit drug abuse... specifically related to methamphetamine, though I doubt it's limited to that particular substance...

So, to iterate... it may be a symptom or a disease... etymology, as it were... unknown...

-Queen of The Nile

Denial is probably one of the best known defense mechanisms, used often to describe situations in which people seem unable to face reality or admit an obvious truth (i.e. "He's in denial."). Denial is an outright refusal to admit or recognize that something has occurred or is currently occurring. Drug addicts or alcoholics often deny that they have a problem, while victims of traumatic events may deny that the event ever occurred.

Denial functions to protect the ego from things that the individual cannot cope with. While this may save us from anxiety or pain, denial also requires a substantial investment of energy. Because of this, other defenses are also used to keep these unacceptable feelings from consciousness.

In many cases, there might be overwhelming evidence that something is true, yet the person will continue to deny its existence or truth because it is too uncomfortable to face.

Denial can involve a flat out rejection of the existence of a fact or reality. In other cases, it might involve admitting that something is true, but minimizing its importance. Sometimes people will accept reality and the seriousness of the fact, but they will deny their own responsibility and instead blame other people or other outside forces.
    That's all for now...

-Marka

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    If you feel that you have been told a porkie, even on here - you have the right to challenge the poster for clarification, there is an article on how to do this correctly.

I personally don't think it really matters a flying f---k if people misrepresent themselves, you will either believe them or not. Personally I could not be arsed to go the route of chasing down the truth of or from others, I'm not paid enough to do so. The way I see it is, I don't know any of you well enough to say that I feel a need to impress and when I close out of ADISC I also leave you all behind.
    The problem is that if you call it out you're also likely to get warned by staff or backseat mods for trying to instigate drama or otherwise shit posts.

Some recent threads make me question their authenticity, as they don't seem entirely plausible. It also just happens to be newer members doing this, it seems. Not saying I hate new members--no--but it's still obvious that some want to seem to get a hold onto the forum. Create bait topic=responses=acknowledgement on the forum. Now, remember I'm only talking about ADISC here, even though this does apply to other forums. This one has done a good job of not alienating newbies and limiting drama, unlike other forums, such as other ones I personally go to (in regards to automotive, weaponry, etc.) .

I guess it's all just in the attitude of the community. It's a good and bad thing to say this one has done a good job at integrating members into the community, but maybe doing so a bit too well. Seems to say that people don't feel afraid they'll get called out here if it's a ruse or a lie, hence some subpar content.

Sorry, all I can think of while reading this is: "Frankly speaking, my BS-Meter kind of sings a sweet tune at the moment."
    I still giggle while reading that. 10/10
    and CrypticTaco has it as his signature....

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticTaco View Post
    The problem is that if you call it out you're also likely to get warned by staff or backseat mods for trying to instigate drama or otherwise shit posts.

Some recent threads make me question their authenticity, as they don't seem entirely plausible. It also just happens to be newer members doing this, it seems. Not saying I hate new members--no--but it's still obvious that some want to seem to get a hold onto the forum. Create bait topic=responses=acknowledgement on the forum. Now, remember I'm only talking about ADISC here, even though this does apply to other forums. This one has done a good job of not alienating newbies and limiting drama, unlike other forums, such as other ones I personally go to (in regards to automotive, weaponry, etc.) .

I guess it's all just in the attitude of the community. It's a good and bad thing to say this one has done a good job at integrating members into the community, but maybe doing so a bit too well. Seems to say that people don't feel afraid they'll get called out here if it's a ruse or a lie, hence some subpar content.
    I'd differ with you on the source, ADISC is always in a state of flux. Like with any grouping there will always be those who will seek the benefits of forming exclusive allegiances, it is just so much easier to see newer members at work there. There is nothing inherently good or bad in that said fact, it is a microcosm of how any society works, anywhere - itís only a question of balance.

The bait topics might be a ploy posed to check and see who among us is still compos mentis.

I think if I were to raise a question it would be of the turnover of active members....more so the reputable ones, I cannot be held responsible for chasing them all away. It is the loss of these members that undermines the term "community" more than anything else.

Anyways: Good to hear from you again. Rumors of your demise have been greatly exaggerated? Oops, there goes maturity, again!