Thread: Habitual thumb sucking

Kaitlyn

Default Habitual thumb sucking

Hi again, I'm back with another question! Haha, you're probably all 'what? What now?' And I don't really blame you, I feel like I'm kinda bugging people. Anyways, is there some trick to making a habit out of sucking your thumb? I've tried suggestions from other threads like this, but nothing seems to work. Any tips?
    Thanks!
    -Pinkie

Well, if just sucking it a lot or while falling asleep doesn't help, I don't think it'll develop into a habit for you... I personally picked up the habit quickly several years ago, as I was stressed out at the time; as time went on I did it less, nowadays I suck my thumb occasionally and have a pacifier at bedtime. Personally I wouldn't recommend forcing it on yourself, if you like it you like it, if you don't you don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkamena View Post
    Hi again, I'm back with another question! Haha, you're probably all 'what? What now?' And I don't really blame you, I feel like I'm kinda bugging people. Anyways, is there some trick to making a habit out of sucking your thumb? I've tried suggestions from other threads like this, but nothing seems to work. Any tips?
    Thanks!
    -Pinkie
    Don't feel bad, this is a support site, it's what we're here for. Anywho, I've tried sucking my thumb a couple times. It didn't really do anything for me and felt pretty forced. So, I don't really do it. Like KimbaStarshine said, if you like it you like it, if you don't you don't.

Also, in general, I suggest that you don't try so hard to go after any mental ideal, whether it's acting like a baby or...well anything really. Just relax, do what you enjoy and build up a life that you like. If something like thumb sucking doesn't work for you, don't feel like you need to do it just because you've worked it into your fantasy.

Edit: I'm super-duper sorry for misspelling your name, KimbaStarshine. All fixed.

Kaitlyn

Okey dokey! Thanks!

Default It's very possible....

My experience is quite unusual, I'm sure. I have a boyfriend who is an adult thumb sucker. We've been together for years and, some time ago, I used to rag him about his habit (especially since he did it in public, unconsciously). He was frustrated that I didn't accept and understand his needs in this regard so, unknown to me, he started putting HIS thumb in MY mouth when we slept.

When I woke up to find myself sucking his thumb he confessed that he'd been doing this for months. I realized that that was the reason my teeth started aching (they're bucked out as it is, probably due to my thumb sucking when I was a kid) but didn't understand why until I found out about what he was doing to me. Long story-short, now I can't sleep without it and, since he mostly stopped doing this to me (but he says that it became as comforting as sucking his own thumb at night), I actually have to suck my thumb, or his, just to be able to stay asleep. I'm sort of orally fixated anyway (nail biting, eating, smoking, etc.) so that's probably why this habit got ingrained as it did.

Needless to say, I now understand why it's so pleasant, but I don't do it in public like he does. I also don't fault him for it anymore. I guess, too, that if you used to suck your thumb it's easier to restart it, don't know for sure of course.

So, if you're serious about this, I'd suggest doing it when you go to sleep or find someone who sucks their thumb and would do this to you when you're sleeping. It's easier if you prop your pillows so that your arm is supported in a better position. My main concern now, though, is falling asleep on public transportation since, at least once, I awoke on an airplane and had my thumb in my mouth! It may work too well so think about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkamena View Post
    Thanks!
    -Pinkie