Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Humane?

Default What is Humane?

Hello.
    I have some materials that I have to study for a project that I am working on, and one of the topics of discussion (AKA a series of essays) is What is humane?

I had all of this stuff in my head and they had arguments about the meaning of everything.

So I thought this would be an interesting question to bring up here and see what kind of answers come up.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

I will respond with the arguments in these essays. Therefore do not take anything personal it is to be the "devils advocate" for this discussion.

I still cant stop thinking about the question and it has been over three hours since I read these essays.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    I have some materials that I have to study for a project that I am working on, and one of the topics of discussion (AKA a series of essays) is What is humane?
    I will respond with the arguments in these essays. Therefore do not take anything personal it is to be the "devils advocate" for this discussion...
    Ambrose Bierce did not define "Humane" in his Dictionary, but if he did it might have gone a little something like this...

Humane (adj.): A special standard of treatment given to certain privileged classes of animals. This special standard is better than that given to other animals and some sections of humanity, however it does not approach the level of privilege demanded for themselves by those rich enough to care for the lives of poor dumb creatures.

Inhumane (adj.): the egregious treatment of an animal with a level of cruelty and contempt which is properly reserved, in a civilised society, only for fellow human beings.

good question!!! what is humane. a person who respects all religions as to our first amendment the right to religion as long as its law abiding in our country !! A person that practices what they preach and not preach what they practice!! A person that respects fellow americans born in this country whether jew, black, indian,hispanic,arab etc A person that does not judge a man until he or she walked a mile in his or hers moccasins!! Humane is the rare humans that respect and appreciate all others as one no matter if their wet~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by keithandre1 View Post
    good question!!! what is humane. a person who respects all religions as to our first amendment the right to religion as long as its law abiding in our country !! A person that practices what they preach and not preach what they practice!! A person that respects fellow americans born in this country whether jew, black, indian,hispanic,arab etc A person that does not judge a man until he or she walked a mile in his or hers moccasins!! Humane is the rare humans that respect and appreciate all others as one no matter if their wet~~~~
    First of all humane is not a person or even a human, but it is a (perceived) quality of human behavior towards other humans or animals. A human can be humane not the other way around.

Furthermore I don't think nationality or place of birth has anything to do with being humane.
    Last edited by Albertje; 25-May-2014 at 03:00. Reason: fix quote

How about asking questions to your question Egor? Is it humane to have an elderly or very sick (ie cancer) person confined to a hospital bed and being supported by life support prolonging the inevitable?

If you see an animal lying by the side of the road hit by a car, is it humane to let him die a slow death? Would it be better to put him out of his misery?

Remember Dr. Death, Dr. Kervorkian, who went to court and eventually did time for allowing assisted suicides? Was that humane?

"Humane" is a difficult dilemma. We seem to have different standards for human and animals and as was mentioned before, if you are a rich person lying in that hospital bed, you will inevitably get better care than say a homeless person lying in a hospital bed in a similar situation?

When we see our pet dog or cat suffering from cancer, we make the harsh decision to take him to the vet to have him/her put down as it is the "right thing to do" yet we leave the poor deer suffering by the side of the road telling ourselves that it's nature and nature takes care of itself.

wow!!!! so cool!!!! a human can be humane but not toward nationality or place of birth

The word humane seems to be an extract from the word human, so I would conjecture that being humane is an act where we as humans exhibit our best qualities toward not only to each others, but any living animal. (bacteria and viruses not included) Examples would be feeding the hungry or clothing the naked, binding the wounded and loving the loveless.

Quote Originally Posted by MsClaraRiddle View Post
    Ambrose Bierce did not define "Humane" in his Dictionary, but if he did it might have gone a little something like this...

Humane (adj.): A special standard of treatment given to certain privileged classes of animals. This special standard is better than that given to other animals and some sections of humanity, however it does not approach the level of privilege demanded for themselves by those rich enough to care for the lives of poor dumb creatures.

Inhumane (adj.): the egregious treatment of an animal with a level of cruelty and contempt which is properly reserved, in a civilised society, only for fellow human beings.
    Thank you for this. It is something to consider.

- - - Updated - - -

Another good answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Albertje View Post
    First of all humane is not a person or even a human, but it is a (perceived) quality of human behavior towards other humans or animals. A human can be humane not the other way around.

Furthermore I don't think nationality or place of birth has anything to do with being humane.
    Very good interpretation and follows along the lines of one of the arguments in the essay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    How about asking questions to your question Egor? Is it humane to have an elderly or very sick (ie cancer) person confined to a hospital bed and being supported by life support prolonging the inevitable?

If you see an animal lying by the side of the road hit by a car, is it humane to let him die a slow death? Would it be better to put him out of his misery?

Remember Dr. Death, Dr. Kervorkian, who went to court and eventually did time for allowing assisted suicides? Was that humane?

"Humane" is a difficult dilemma. We seem to have different standards for human and animals and as was mentioned before, if you are a rich person lying in that hospital bed, you will inevitably get better care than say a homeless person lying in a hospital bed in a similar situation?

When we see our pet dog or cat suffering from cancer, we make the harsh decision to take him to the vet to have him/her put down as it is the "right thing to do" yet we leave the poor deer suffering by the side of the road telling ourselves that it's nature and nature takes care of itself.
    This too is another point that was brought up in the essays.

- - - Updated - - -

wow!!!! so cool!!!! a human can be humane but not toward nationality or place of birth
    The point is does humane treatment of anything have to do with origin or religious beliefs.

Yet again who is the one to decide what is humane and what is cruel?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    The word humane seems to be an extract from the word human, so I would conjecture that being humane is an act where we as humans exhibit our best qualities toward not only to each others, but any living animal. (bacteria and viruses not included) Examples would be feeding the hungry or clothing the naked, binding the wounded and loving the loveless.
    Why not Bacteria or Viruses?

- - - Updated - - -

The one that came my mind while I read this is something I saw on Facebook several days ago.

Can someone say they are humane if they allow a person that has violated the social covenant of our laws and stole, raped, hurt or killed another human being to have three meals a day, a bed to sleep in, a exercise area to stay physically fit, and other sources of recreation. While the people that built and fought for the country they live in, to live alone in a facility that they might get three meal, have a bed that may or may not be cleaned daily depending on staffing, are lucky if they get there own cloths back from the laundry, and the quality of there care is entirely dependent on the source of the payment for such care?

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post

Yet again who is the one to decide what is humane and what is cruel?
    That I believe would be our basic human instincts, to know when something is wrong and immoral.

Well if you view "humane" based on a relative rather than a universal perspective, then any action could be perceived as "humane" since morality changes from person to person.