Thread: Childfree Caregivers?

Default Childfree Caregivers?

I hope this is alright to post here.

I was wondering if anyone here was a caregiver, but also childfree. I do not want a child, but I like the idea of taking care of an adult as a baby. While I do believe there is some overlap, there are definite differentiations. Personally, I feel as though:

1.) It is easier to care for someone when you know that they are enjoying you caring for them.
    2.) It is easier to discern their needs.
    3.) At least for me, their is a greater joy in easing the stresses of someone who is on the same level as me developmentally.
    4.) I always worry about screwing up a child's development, but that would not be the case with an adult baby.

For a long time, I thought that I wanted to be a preschool teacher. I felt maternal, but didn't realize that those feelings were purely for an adult acting as a baby, and not feeling parental toward actual children.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Hi! I'm a childless caregiver! I never considered myself very maternal but I love taking care of my little! It's perfect, really! No developmental worries, you're making someone incredibly happy and content, and the biggest one...they can turn it off.

We were in a toy store today and a real little kid was doing that high pitched screaming thing. Doesn't happen with *my* little. He's a good boy. Earned himself a tranquil turtle.

It's like all the joy of a kid, with none of the minuses. Except, as he recently pointed out, "he'll never move out."

It's like getting all the love, cuddles, and affection with none of the screaming, tantrums, and true lousy behavior. This might just be my little, but the only time he misbehaves is because he very literally wants a spanking.

Hope that helps!

I always felt super insecure as to why someone would ever choose to care for me over an actual child and this made me feel worlds better! Thank you <3

Other than my wife, I don't think I've ever had a "childless" caregiver ... most have had a couple of kids, were teachers in real life, or had some sort of genuine connection to "real" children. If I'm actively searching for a babysitter, I look first to women who have children of their own, or who work in some child-related field. I don't think I've ever actually pursued a prospective babysitter who had no "child" connections.

I presume that, like other young women who aspire to preschool teaching, you've done your share of "real" babysitting. Did that work in any way prepare you for caring for an AB?

Much as many of us appreciate the positives you listed, what do you perceive as the negatives of caring for an adult?

I'm so glad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sbmccue View Post
    Other than my wife, I don't think I've ever had a "childless" caregiver ... most have had a couple of kids, were teachers in real life, or had some sort of genuine connection to "real" children. If I'm actively searching for a babysitter, I look first to women who have children of their own, or who work in some child-related field. I don't think I've ever actually pursued a prospective babysitter who had no "child" connections.

I presume that, like other young women who aspire to preschool teaching, you've done your share of "real" babysitting. Did that work in any way prepare you for caring for an AB?

Much as many of us appreciate the positives you listed, what do you perceive as the negatives of caring for an adult?
    It did prepare me for caring for an AB: Using a softer voice, helping someone fall asleep, learning how to have someone entirely dependent on me etc. However, what I learned in working with real children is that it is important to teach them independence, whereas, with an AB, you can spoil and fuss over him/her.

Negatives of caring for an adult? Well, with changing, there is potentially a larger mess. Being both an AB and a caregiver, it can be difficult if both parties want to act as little. I wouldn't necessarily be able to physically pick up an AB or hold one in my lap properly (I'm pretty small), but I've learned ways to accommodate. What do you think are the positives and negatives of caring for an AB?

Never having cared for an AB, PW, I'm a wretched outcast.

I've never cared for a "real" baby either.

I can imagine that two "littles" sharing the same playtime without a caregiver might be one "little" too many.

It is hard playing a little with another little and not having a caregiver. Also, I'm unsure if ABs enjoy sharing their caregivers. Real kids can get territorial of their caregivers as well, but it is different. I'd probably only want to care for one AB at a time, whereas, when I worked at a preschool, I was caring for around 10 kids at any given time. You are able to give more attention to an AB. However, if you are a parent with an only child, I'm sure there are differences there as well.

whoa! that makes so much sense O.O i had never thought of it that way but it pretty much sums up everything preferable about it XD i totes agree