Thread: Imaginary friends

Default Imaginary friends

I have several imaginary friends. My first ones name is Elshira. I saw a piece of art and fell in love with it. Elshira is a dragon that has a personality split between my mother and Saphira from Eragon.

I was wondering: "do any of you guys have imaginary friends and do you journey to a world in your imagination to be with them?"

Quote Originally Posted by MLPPebble View Post
    I have several imaginary friends. My first ones name is Elshira. I saw a piece of art and fell in love with it. Elshira is a dragon that has a personality split between my mother and Saphira from Eragon.

I was wondering: "do any of you guys have imaginary friends and do you journey to a world in your imagination to be with them?"
    Imaginary Friends? No. As a child I did build imaginary world and people around me in an attempt to create a surrounding in which I could be someone else and live a different life.
    But ever since I was like 12ish: no.

About a journey into an imaginary world / daydreaming / vivid dreams / lucid dreaming: sometimes - I look at it like a creative effort, like a my own personal private movie / theater.
    I'm really into books - I read a LOT. And to me reading a good book is just like that at times, I forget the words, the individual letters and become an active viewer of a a story told, the characters become three dimensional, the places are vividly imagined, the action is there, etc... a good book I can often find far more compelling than a movie - maybe because of my vivid imagination.

I see nothing wrong with occasionally day dreaming etc...

As to the part with the imaginary friends: this in my opinion is a bit more complex / complicated.
    If you actively create them, you are fully aware of them being just a facet of your own complex personality - a sort of virtual projection of certain aspects / desires / etc personified - I see little to no problem with it at all.
    However, should they basically "talk to you" - be voices out of nowhere - or become an obsession, far too "real", interfere with your normal interactions with the world, etc... I think it would be highly problematic.
    It's something a lot of people have / do so... there are writers who are known that they basically create their characters this way, converse with them, etc...
    Last edited by EPO1; 23-May-2014 at 06:01.

not really imaginary friends just personalities I attach to stuffed animals.

Quote Originally Posted by blablafreckenlover View Post
    not really imaginary friends just personalities I attach to stuffed animals.
    Ditto for me. In fact, I call my three plushies, the friends. They all have their own unique personalities and say different things. They like to reenact things my wife is watching on the television, sort of helping the lame plot.

My imaginary friends are made up and live in a world that I journey to in my mind. I do not physically hear voices but rather thoughts. I have imaginary friends for two reasons 1: they are to help improve my creative writing and 2: they are there when it's best I don't talk. I talk a lot and my way of being quite is to talk to them in my mind. They are special to me because I see my friends through their eyes. When I look at them I see my friends in real life or what I call the elemental world. I would talk almost nonstop if it was not for them. I know they are not real but they live in my imagination if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MLPPebble View Post
    My imaginary friends are made up and live in a world that I journey to in my mind. I do not physically hear voices but rather thoughts. I have imaginary friends for two reasons 1: they are to help improve my creative writing and 2: they are there when it's best I don't talk. I talk a lot and my way of being quite is to talk to them in my mind. They are special to me because I see my friends through their eyes. When I look at them I see my friends in real life or what I call the elemental world. I would talk almost nonstop if it was not for them. I know they are not real but they live in my imagination if that makes sense.
    I had the same thing when I was younger, I think it stopped around 11-12. I had this one imaginary friend I called ghost, (I always though it might have something to do with the caper the friendly ghost movie). It got to a point where it even bugged my parents a bit. But things change, puberty hit, and boobs, no offense to the ladies, was the only thing on my mind.