Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VHS Tapes

Default VHS Tapes

Does anyone still use them? If you do, are you an avid collector or just haven't gotten rid of the old collection yet?

For me, I do still use and pick up VHS tapes whenever I find a good deal on them. Thrift stores, rummage sales, and free piles tend to be the best places to collect them. I have about 2 shelves worth. Thinning it out as I pick up my favorites on DVD. I get some of the older movies on VHS so I can check it out and see if I want to buy it later on DVD.

Oh, and I have several VCR's. Never know when one will break.

We have a vacation home to which all of our old, decrepit technology goes to die. While there, we have only VHS tapes to watch, NES and SNES games to play, and a wood-burning stove to heat the place. Well, actually, there's a furnace, but the stove is more fun -- like the old video game consoles.

Our VHS library consists mainly of Disney flicks for the kids, although we have a decent collection of Red Dwarf, Black Adder, and others of our favorite British sitcoms. And the THX Star Wars trilogy, and a few Star Treks. Ok, maybe it's not mostly Disney; there might be 50 or so tapes, all told. I haven't decided whether, when the VCR breaks, to buy a new VCR or to donate our tapes to the local thrift store. Probably the latter.

Actually, funny this came up. The other day I got bored with having all 30gb of my music so easily accessible, so I cranked some of my Dad's old tapes in his 80s boombox. Lennon, Brian Ferry, The Cure, Straightjacket Fits, Pink Floyd and some more. It was great, I haven't listened to a tape in so long. There's something different about the sound in analog form.

Yes, I continue to watch and buy VHS tapes, mainly of animated movies.

Mostly this:

Quote Originally Posted by PearlPinkFloydJam View Post
    ... just haven't gotten rid of the old collection yet?
    I've still got quite a hoard, and a couple of working players. Haven't really watched anything in quite a while though. Important stuff, like home video of the kids and grandkids when they were small have been converted to DVD. I'm bit by bit tossing stuff that isn't important, like old series and movies that are available on Netflix. My wife's Disney collection is radioactive, especially now with the new baby granddaughter. If I were to toss one of those, death would be too good for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    We have a vacation home to which all of our old, decrepit technology goes to die. While there, we have only VHS tapes to watch, NES and SNES games to play, and a wood-burning stove to heat the place. Well, actually, there's a furnace, but the stove is more fun -- like the old video game consoles.
    Love the mental image here.

Yes I do have and still watch VHS tapes. It's a matter of $$$ that it would take to replace them or have them converted to DVD. I also have and have taught my son how to play with my old Atari. I just will not tell him about the amount of gin I drank to get so good at Asteroids.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    It's a matter of $$$ that it would take to replace them or have them converted to DVD.
    Not so much, actually. I got a dvd recorder for maybe $100 and did it myself. It doesn't work for purchased, copy protected movies. Works just fine for home recordings, which the bulk of mine were/are.

Didn't get the DVD recorder just for that. I was also using it as a TV tuner since it had a digital tuner and I was still using CRT sets with analog tuners at the time. I've since acquired flat screen sets with digital tuners.

When I moved from home I couldn't take it with me... Moving countries and all had to be picky about what came with me. Still have my VCR/DVD player that I got when I was around 12 or 13. Was replacing some of the VHS with DVDs because of stopped working or other reasons but there's a few that I still have just VHS, mostly disney stuff but others as well, Pocahontas, the live jungle book one, kiki's delivery service, etc
    I like the convenience of DVDs but hearing a tape rewind is complete nostalgia haha
    Also have my cassettes that a recorded other friends tapes, or CDs from and a have a bunch that I made from my mom's records too like Scott bao who played chachi on happy days. A lot lf the other mixes I made from NOW CDs because I usually only liked a few songs on each.
    This goes right along with my thoughts lately because I'm going to get to go home for a week this summer haven't been there in a year and a half. Pretty excited.

I still have my vast Disney collection of VHS tapes from long ago. I still have my VCR hooked up too, so I'm tempted to pop a tape in it to get some nostalgia... But I'm tempted more by getting that gorgeous 1080p straight from my Xbox. :P

still got a Sony VCR and loads of tapes which i never watch. the intention is to convert some of the rarer/better stuff onto DVD, but i can never be bothered.