Page 1 of 24 123451121 ... LastLast

Thread: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Default "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

These words are now (for a few weeks anyway) to be found on buses, in an ad campaign by some Atheists.

Relevant articles:

Article about it: Atheist buses to challenge religious messages

Article about people moaning about it: Atheist Bus Campaign is 'offensive', say complaints to ASA

Article written by the woman doing it: Ariane Sherine: All aboard the atheist bus campaign

What do you make of it?

I personally think it's pretty good, although when I first heard about it I wasn't really impressed.

Who is "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life." aimed at exactly? It seemed like it's just winding Christians up. Although given the fact that they advertise the opposite view, perhaps that's not necessarily a bad thing.

After reading "Seven in ten people in this country describe themselves as Christian" I actually think this ad might actually be worthwhile in other ways. I'm shocked that it's 7 in 10... I only know like, one Christian. I think that stat is wrong.

I like the fact that the Church of England didn't bitch though, I think they've become more 'hip' recently, I think we had a thread here about them apologising for not accepting evolution or something like that.

Your views?

Well, I'm a Christian, and quite a devote one at that - I want to be a minister for the Church of Scotland once I've got through the training. I think that that statistic might actually be true - lots of people describe themselves as Christians when pressed, although they don't attend church, read the bible, pray or do other 'Chrisitanly things'. Perhaps because they were baptised as a Christian, or because their parents or grandparents describe themselves as Christian.

In the end of the day I don't think it matters who or what you believe in as long as you yourself are fulfilled. If you need or want a God or other superior being in order for you to live you life then that's fine.

I don't really approve of these signs though, I think it's slightly antagonistic, but I would think the same if they were saying things which support the Christian viewpoint as well. As far as I'm concerned everyone should live and let live, and no one elses veiws should be forced upon another.

I also think, however, that it's a duty or responsibility of the individual themselves to educate themselves on other peoples religious idiologies - you can't diss it till you've tried it and all that. I cannot abide by people who make comments in ignorance.

I wear alot of black and the other day this one idiot walks up to me and this is how it went

Idiot: Are you goth?

Me: So what if I am? What's wrong with goths?

Idiot: Do you believe in God?

Me: No

Idiot: Oooo your going to hell!

Me: So what atleast i'm enjoying the ride there.

That shocked this other guy on my bus and I basicly talked down religion saying that it's build on stories and ways to keep people in line and obidiant. He thought I was lying, figers. This guy is an uber Christian. Say anything about the bible or talk down the religion he will flip out. Pisses me off.

Wow. You know, the atheists are doing a bad job of representing themselves. They are clustering all people of faith into one group that worries/judges the world. Pretty hipocritical. I think they should get off their high horse and stop trying to shut down religion.

I actually like it. If they had a t-shirt that had that on it, I probably buy it and wear it around town.

Dang, you stole my topic.

I read about it in the newspaper this morning. I only look at the big billboard on the London bus "God probably doesn't exist" and figured "If he did, he'd make sure London has decent public transit", but then actually read the article.
    It's probably the mixture of British humor and the London art of submitting to whatever problems get thrown your way that prevents anyone in that city to get worked up about it.

Butterfly Mage

Well, I'm a Wiccan, so enjoying life is actually what we're *supposed* to do. Having a good time is a form of worship.

Of course, there's also the sex thing. Christianity generally views sex as a sin while Wicca views it as a sacrament.

If I thought there was no god (or goddess and god, in the case of Wicca), I would find life pretty darned depressing. Of course, if I worshipped an angry, unloving, cruel god like YHVH (the Old Testament god) I'd be pretty depressed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Christianity generally views sex as a sin
    LMFAO. No it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Abby_Cullen View Post
    LMFAO. No it doesn't.
    It only a sin if you have it before marriage, right?