Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: depression advice?

Default depression advice?

Hi guys I'm going to see my new doctor tomorrow for the first time and I have been debating if I should talk to him about how I have been feeling. I have ups and downs with depression like two weeks ago I was seriously depressed for a week or so, all I wanted to do was sleep I didn't want to be around anyone, I didn't care if i died, I just wanted to lay in bed and cry. But for some reason these feelings just went away I don't know why and I don't know what brought them on in the first place. I just get like that sometimes, is this normal to go from feeling fine one day to not caring if you wake up the next day?

My family has a history of depression and mental illness, but I didn't know if this is just normal stuff that people go thru or I should talk to my doctor and see if there is something he can give me to help this.

You may or may not need medication, and that's a decision that you should make for yourself after consulting with your doctor. In the case of something powerful, it might even be worth a second opinion.

But asking about getting something prescribed is putting the cart before the horse. Yes, definitely tell your doctor, ask him if he has any idea about what the depression is and what he thinks would be good next steps for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyslittlewyatt View Post
    Hi guys I'm going to see my new doctor tomorrow for the first time and I have been debating if I should talk to him about how I have been feeling. I have ups and downs with depression like two weeks ago I was seriously depressed for a week or so, all I wanted to do was sleep I didn't want to be around anyone, I didn't care if i died, I just wanted to lay in bed and cry. But for some reason these feelings just went away I don't know why and I don't know what brought them on in the first place. I just get like that sometimes, is this normal to go from feeling fine one day to not caring if you wake up the next day?

My family has a history of depression and mental illness, but I didn't know if this is just normal stuff that people go thru or I should talk to my doctor and see if there is something he can give me to help this.
    No, this is not just normal stuff, these are very serious signs of depression. You need to talk to your doctor about this and describe the cyclical symptoms as well as the family history.

When a person is depressed, it often seems impossible to reach out for help, yet when the bout of depression passes, the person just wants to get on with life, grateful to be feeling better and hopeful the symptoms won't return. However, it doesn't stay that way, and the cycles of depression can become increasingly more severe.

It's important to talk to your doctor now while you're in a good state of mind and let the doctor take the steps to develop a plan of action.

Depression can be a rollercoaster of feelings. It's during the time that you feel 'up' that it's important to develop a plan for when you're feeling down.

Not only should you talk to your doctor about it, it should be a priority area of discussion. No debate required.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 19-May-2014 at 14:35.

Thank you for your advise I'm actually at my doctors now. I plan on talking to him about how I have been feeling. I just wanted someone else's opinion. Thank you guys for your advise

Hi Wyatt,

Life is a beautiful and precious thing. And when we start to doubt that, either by not caring or by wishing it would go away, then it's a sign that something isn't going right. People naturally want to go on living and enjoying life. When that stops happening, it's a sign that something is wrong. There's something in your life that's making it more painful or difficult than it should be.

I think it would be very important to tell your doctor. Medical doctors can give you help related to depression, because it's not purely mental. Depression can have physical causes, or physical things that make it worse. If you have unhealthy things going on in your life that could make depression worse, the doctor can give you advice on how to help with those. They can also help you find medication, if necessary. But depression isn't just something you throw a pill at and it goes away. It was caused by something, and something maintains it. Whether that's stress, loneliness, toxic people, a bad living situation, diet...a good treatment will consider lots of things, to knock out the source of the depression as well.

I know that in the lowest points, it's easy not to care. But seeing a doctor could be the first step to something better. I would absolutely advise you to tell your doctor what you've told us, as well as any other details that could help. This will help in the long run - even just opening up about your struggles can help!

Good luck! And please let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Hi Wyatt,

Life is a beautiful and precious thing. And when we start to doubt that, either by not caring or by wishing it would go away, then it's a sign that something isn't going right. People naturally want to go on living and enjoying life. When that stops happening, it's a sign that something is wrong. There's something in your life that's making it more painful or difficult than it should be.

I think it would be very important to tell your doctor. Medical doctors can give you help related to depression, because it's not purely mental. Depression can have physical causes, or physical things that make it worse. If you have unhealthy things going on in your life that could make depression worse, the doctor can give you advice on how to help with those. They can also help you find medication, if necessary. But depression isn't just something you throw a pill at and it goes away. It was caused by something, and something maintains it. Whether that's stress, loneliness, toxic people, a bad living situation, diet...a good treatment will consider lots of things, to knock out the source of the depression as well.

I know that in the lowest points, it's easy not to care. But seeing a doctor could be the first step to something better. I would absolutely advise you to tell your doctor what you've told us, as well as any other details that could help. This will help in the long run - even just opening up about your struggles can help!

Good luck! And please let us know how it goes!
    Thank you! Things went well I told my doctor how I was feeling and the negative thoughts that go thru my head some times he wants me to see a phyciatrist (sorry if I spelled that wrong or used the wrong name) to try and figure out where this is coming from or to try and see what's causing it.( kinda of a scary thought I have never done anything like that before im not sure what to expect) but untill then he gave me something to help and wants me to check back with him in two weeks to see if it has helped.

Thank you! Things went well I told my doctor how I was feeling and the negative thoughts that go thru my head some times he wants me to see a phyciatrist (sorry if I spelled that wrong or used the wrong name) to try and figure out where this is coming from or to try and see what's causing it.( kinda of a scary thought I have never done anything like that before im not sure what to expect) but untill then he gave me something to help and wants me to check back with him in two weeks to see if it has helped.
    Yay! I'm really glad to hear that. It takes a lot of courage, but telling someone about your struggles is the first step to getting better.

It was hard for me to go to therapy for my anxiety, but it turned out to be a really smart decision. I hope things work out really well for you! Keep us posted on your progress, and let us know if there's anything you need advice on.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Yay! I'm really glad to hear that. It takes a lot of courage, but telling someone about your struggles is the first step to getting better.

It was hard for me to go to therapy for my anxiety, but it turned out to be a really smart decision. I hope things work out really well for you! Keep us posted on your progress, and let us know if there's anything you need advice on.
    Thank you and everyone for the support! I will keep up on my progress.

This is a big step and I'm glad it went well for you. Also, kudos to your doctor for taking all the right steps. The healing has begun.

That's great news! Good luck meeting the psychiatrist, let us know if you want any advice in getting ready for that.