Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Time really exist?

Default Does Time really exist?

Does 'Time' really exist?

I will not link any specifics on the topic or question as there are many ideas on the subject out there. They are all easily researchable.

My purpose lies in the personal views on the subject whether they be based upon deciphering existing literature or personal connotation.

My perception:

As we live in a cyclical world, time is a contrived measurement based on the principle of a metronome . I believe this perception impedes our true understanding of existence. Such measurements support only our revolving perception of lapsed experiences. Time cannot be prognosticated or set reliable outcome. Time is not navigatable in space (away from visible known solar systems). Time does not set a destination nor define a path to any. Time is not a continuum nor the lack of.

Time is only relevent in the attempt to adapt an entity or idea to circadian rhythm. Time cannot be measured in the same way as decibels, temperature, or mass. Time has escaped our five senses. Even though we have sight and can see the effects of aging and guage decay, we have no inner sense of increment even though we can be sure of some lapse between before then and now.

If time did exist then what would prevent it from moving faster or slower than our perception?

Your thoughts, no matter how trivial, scientific, or humorous, are welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    Yes.

This is a silly question.
    I would be interested in your explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by ilostthesheriff View Post
    What do you mean, "explanation?"

This question has about as much merit as "does space exist" or "do electrons exist." You know the answer to arbitrary certainty; if you really think otherwise, why not drive a car at full speed into a wall? After all, if time doesn't exist, neither does velocity.

Take less drugs.

If you compare two similar universe-states, with the only difference being that all the atoms in the second universe have slightly different positions, and this change in position is predictable using physics, then we can say that the second universe-state occurs "after" the first. But if you were an omniscient and omnipotent god, and you rearranged all of the atoms and electrical charges etc., so that it precisely resembled the universe as it was 200 years ago, there is absolutely no observable difference between this meddled-with universe and the 200-years-ago universe.

In other words, time is a human perception, but unlike other "perceptions" in that attaining enlightenment doesn't stop you from getting hungry after a few hours. If any bit of you is material, you'll be subject to the passage of time-as-experienced.

If time did exist then what would prevent it from moving faster or slower than our perception?
    Theoretically, the speed of light through space is a constant in any frame of reference therefore time is not constant.

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    What do you mean, "explanation?"

This question has about as much merit as "does space exist" or "do electrons exist." You know the answer to arbitrary certainty; if you really think otherwise, why not drive a car at full speed into a wall? After all, if time doesn't exist, neither does velocity.
    I am not disputing the scientific measure of time. It is integral to punctuation calculation of the perceived world around us. It however does not stand alone. Time is merely a contrived calculation based on other measurable factors which are also contrived in increment. I am questioning the reality or perception of the concept of time, not the measurement.

Relativity is wholesome when attempting to understand space and time. Quantum computing is handy in measuring abstract or overly-complex scenarios.

To better state the question: Can time exist outside of scientific measurement? Is our perception of it real? Can an unknown alter-realm exist in it's place? Is it possible that we have become stuck on the measurement of time in calculation?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SchrodingersSpy View Post
    Take less drugs.
    Dangit! You're right. The Salvia is starting to wear off.

Where have I been?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Theoretically, the speed of light through space is a constant in any frame of reference therefore time is not constant.
    If you mean that light can bend or be be subject to gravitational pull then I cannot dispute this as it would take longer for light to travel a parabolic curve than be linearly directed.

I am not disputing the scientific measure of time. It is integral to punctuation calculation of the perceived world around us. It however does not stand alone. Time is merely a contrived calculation based on other measurable factors which are also contrived in increment. I am questioning the reality or perception of the concept of time, not the measurement.
    This is ill-posed.

What do I expect to be different if I believe that "time does not exist" as opposed to the contrary?

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    It's a constant depending on what medium it's in. The value c is only accurate for a true vacuum. In some media light slows down enough that you could beat it in a footrace.