Thread: Counseling and diapers

Default Counseling and diapers

Hey guys,
    So today I just had my first ever counseling and I wanted to bring up my diaper fetish but could not get myself to do it. How did/would you approach this with a counselor?

A good therapist will be more concerned with the effects that hiding the diaper fetish and coping with it may have on your psyche and relationships than with the nature of the fetish itself. A diaper fetish can lead to a great deal of shame and self doubt because it's a taboo, but it doesn't have to be in a healthy personal sense.

I would just remember that they've probably seen / heard of a lot of different human conditions through the year, and their job is not to judge you. If you really can't get get the cat out of the bag in your next session, write them a short note and have it ready to give to them at the end if you find yourself skirting the issue.

If the therapist's reaction is judgmental, or if they want to treat you by repressing / erasing the fetish through aversion (and you don't want to) then it's time to find someone new to see, pronto.
    Last edited by 2020porter; 13-May-2014 at 19:08.

My advice is to just get it out in the open at the session. Its just simply a fetish. There are FAR WORSE things out there that you could be doing. I use my AB side as a release for my depression from having Multiple Sclersosis.

I dunno…

Do you want to bring up diapers because you feel that it affects you/your life negatively or that it something that you wish to "fix"?

or,

Do you want to bring it up simply because you wish to have a physical conversation with someone about diapers?

If the first, I would suggest you just be open and talk to them about it. They will be more concerned with other issues that may be manifesting themselves behind the symptom. If it is the second, there is no reason why you shouldn't bring it up either. The therapist will probably recognize the base human need to share and will let you without any input. You should just know what or why you want to bring it up with someone like a counselor. If you just desire a human conversation about diapers, try finding open friends or connecting with someone through here. If you feel ill-at-ease with your attraction to diapers or the fetish is having negative impacts on your life, a good counselor is an excellent resource to help you find yourself.

I sent mine an email with links to dl friendly sites like understanding infantalism.com eased the way, and she was sympathetically informed. I'd do the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by Llayden View Post
    I dunno…

Do you want to bring up diapers because you feel that it affects you/your life negatively or that it something that you wish to "fix"?

or,

Do you want to bring it up simply because you wish to have a physical conversation with someone about diapers?

If the first, I would suggest you just be open and talk to them about it. They will be more concerned with other issues that may be manifesting themselves behind the symptom. If it is the second, there is no reason why you shouldn't bring it up either. The therapist will probably recognize the base human need to share and will let you without any input. You should just know what or why you want to bring it up with someone like a counselor. If you just desire a human conversation about diapers, try finding open friends or connecting with someone through here. If you feel ill-at-ease with your attraction to diapers or the fetish is having negative impacts on your life, a good counselor is an excellent resource to help you find yourself.
    I actually want to get rid of it because it is expensive and I am embarrassed of having it

Quote Originally Posted by DLoverSince2005 View Post
    I actually want to get rid of it because it is expensive and I am embarrassed of having it
    Learn to accept yourself for what you are, then in time if it is really what you want you can reduce your diaper obsession. It took years to tell my shrink and he had no problem with my DL thing. Now years later I'm not obsessed with wearing every night as I'm not so stressed but I'll always enjoy diapers now and then without guilt.

This is one of the main reason people come here in the first place.

These feelings are part of the binge and purge cycle, and as soon as you gain understanding and self-acceptance the better off you become.

These are the areas that I identified with before I sat down and had a major session with my councilor. With the information I read from the threads here and the time I spent with my therapist I was able to gain the understanding of the situation and turn it around from the negatives of the binge and purge and turn it into a therapeutic coping mechanism. By doing this the embarrassment went away and the cost dropped because I was not making do with what ever worked and throwing it out with the purges. Now I just deal with the ebbs and flows and have control over the situation.

As people have been hinting, the reality, whether you find it fortunate or unfortunate, is that almost nobody is capable of fully getting rid of it. Having a desire to wear diapers seems to be something that gets hard-wired into the personality, and it's a desire that will probably always be with you at some level.

What a counselor can do is help you come up with coping strategies. For example, hiding diapers and related items, rather than trashing them if you feel guilty can save a great deal of expense. As you become more comfortable with yourself, the guilt and shame will become less powerful.

And, to get right to the heart of the matter: you don't need to feel embarrassed. Embarrassment is for when you do something wrong. Liking diapers is unusual and quite rare, but it's not wrong. It doesn't hurt anyone else and it doesn't hurt you as long as you keep the rest of your life running and practice good hygiene (which, frankly, you should do anyway).

So, as to your counselor: just tell the person. Write down how you feel if you find speaking the words too hard. And from there, approach this not with the mindset of ridding yourself of a problem, but instead with understanding yourself and learning to cope with your sources of stress.

Good luck!