Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what language do you watch your anime in

emberthefox

Default what language do you watch your anime in

I was watching bleach japane swith my brother a while ago than started ronuin kenshin in english or at least tried to it did not work out So well in english. So there for I like it with subtitals that are english with them speaking japanes

generally prefer dubs because I always miss something reading subs and acting doesn't really translate with subtitles well.

I do both. I prefer subs, but sometimes the dubs have great voice casts.

Aside from a few with great dubs, I prefer subtitled. Even with a great dub, I still prefer to hear a bit in the original language to get a sense of the voice acting and casting choices.

Subs all the way. Unfortunately American voice actors come from America and therefore talk/ act like Americans in American stories. Japanese characters have very Japanese characteristics that are best conveyed through Japanese.

there are two exceptions to this rule, and really there is only 1.
    Cowboy Bebop - great dub, very close to the original and there is great talent in that one.

The best dub ever. Ghost in the shell S.A.C., period.

this is just my humble opinion. i am sure there is better out there, i just haven't seen it.

I would say colorful... but the dub is purposefully not the same as the Japanese, which makes it surprisingly better because they changed the script to make it relevant to Americans, they did that to Shin Chan too.

Quote Originally Posted by sirscience View Post
    Subs all the way. Unfortunately American voice actors come from America and therefore talk/ act like Americans in American stories. Japanese characters have very Japanese characteristics that are best conveyed through Japanese.

there are two exceptions to this rule, and really there is only 1.
    Cowboy Bebop - great dub, very close to the original and there is great talent in that one.

The best dub ever. Ghost in the shell S.A.C., period.

this is just my humble opinion. i am sure there is better out there, i just haven't seen it.

I would say colorful... but the dub is purposefully not the same as the Japanese, which makes it surprisingly better because they changed the script to make it relevant to Americans, they did that to Shin Chan too.
    Great examples! I went with the dub for Cowboy Beebop after trying both. I stuck with the subs for GitS:SAC but I agree it was a near thing. DBZ is a must for the dub for me just because of shrill Goku.

Dub-sub what??

Oh sorry...wrong room...

Anyone know where conference room 14-A is located??

Sorry for the interruption!

No...minus my nearly complete lack of redeemable exposure to anime...

I've actually found subs to be helpful in learning (parts) of other languages... however, dubs...tend to allow me to enjoy the flick... though, I've had issues with dumb-dubs, and dumb-subs...

I think the 'litmus' test however... is how well does the animation (or other movie media) hold up... without either subs, nor dubs...?

I quite like that opportunity to run each of the 3-ways... on at least some DVD's...
    First with no interpretation...
    Then with subs...
    and finally, with dubs...

Well, that's just how I roll...yo
    Going to sleep now! *fingers crossed behind my back*
    -Marka

Since I'm so used to subs because they are in almost every movie I'm watching, I don't mind them in Anime. Actually I prefer them. Some Japanese voice actors/actress has the most amazing voices ever and sometimes I have my video player tabbed down and listen to them while doing something else. Just like you're listening to music.

If it's a new anime I try to watch it in English first and then when I re-watch it I'll watch it in Japanese.

Anything that is associated with 4Kids in any way (Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.), subbed all the time, no excuses. Everything else, I don't care either way.