Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Away From Home?

Default Sleeping Away From Home?

Last year I had to skip out on attending my family reunion and staying overnight in a cabin with relatives because I suffer from terrible homesickness. I simply can't sleep away from home, not even in a tent in my own yard. The last time I tried staying in a motel, when I was 15, I was awake all night and really upset. (Interestingly enough, when I was 8 I spent two nights in a motel with no problem.)

The annual reunion is coming up again in a few months, and while I'd like to attend, I just know that when bedtime comes it'll be awful. My mother suggested taking the tent and setting it up in the backyard of the cabin for me to sleep in, allowing me privacy to have my pacifier and stuffed animals, but I doubt that'll help. The only other thing I can think of is attending the reunion and then going home, but my mom will probably want to stay overnight.

So is there any possible way to get me comfortable enough to sleep away from my own bed? The only thing I can think of that might help is sleeping pills, but it just seems easier to stay home instead of risking embarrassing myself by being homesick.

Our daughter took something prescribed from the doctor when she flew to Japan, as she's uncomfortable with flying. I wish I could remember what it was, but I'm sure a doctor could recommend something. Short of that, spend the day and go home. I'm never as comfortable away from home, but I tend to sleep well so it isn't much of a problem. It took me several hours to go to sleep when I had my sleep study at a medical clinic. That was not a fun trip. I would ask a doctor for some help. I wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Our daughter took something prescribed from the doctor when she flew to Japan, as she's uncomfortable with flying. I wish I could remember what it was, but I'm sure a doctor could recommend something. Short of that, spend the day and go home. I'm never as comfortable away from home, but I tend to sleep well so it isn't much of a problem. It took me several hours to go to sleep when I had my sleep study at a medical clinic. That was not a fun trip. I would ask a doctor for some help. I wish you the best.
    I was once given the anti-anxiety drug Ativan in the emergency room, which I found to have a nice calming effect. I was thinking more like over-the-counter sleeping pills though..

You are not alone. I do traveling on an infrequent bases and I never sleep well away from home. Just do what you can and take what ever works.

Have you tried Melatonin? It's a natural sleep aid available at the pharmacy. My wife takes a 5mg one at night and swears by it. It comes in a 10 mg dose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    Have you tried Melatonin? It's a natural sleep aid available at the pharmacy. My wife takes a 5mg one at night and swears by it. It comes in a 10 mg dose as well.
    I've tried the ''MidNite'' brand of pills before, which contain melatonin, for occasional sleeplessness at home, and they didn't work for me.

Sometimes we have our son take a Benedryl at bedtime.

Shame the melatonin doesn't work. It's how I got through jetlag when I went overseas last summer.

Just checked the MidNite website and the PM version has 1.5 mg of melatonin, so maybe the 5mg's I suggested earlier might be stringer for you Kimba?

Have you ever seen a professional about this? Presumably, at 21, you're moving towards being independent which involves moving out of your parents' house. Such a complete inability to spend a night away from your home seems debilitating enough to classify it as a medical dysfunction that deserves treatment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    Just checked the MidNite website and the PM version has 1.5 mg of melatonin, so maybe the 5mg's I suggested earlier might be stringer for you Kimba?
    Relevent to point out that there's little-to-no scientific evidence that melatonin does anything. It's a distinct follow-the-money situation. I checked PubMed and the only studies I can find discussed it for use in ADHD children, which is hardly representative of the general population. Taking a study of the affects of melatonin supplementation in ADHD children and applying them to the general population would be like doing the same with a study that looked at the effects of supplementing Vitamin C in people deficient in Vitamin C.

If melatonin worked better than placebo as a sleep-aid, whoever puts it through clinical trials would basically be planting money trees. The fact that none of the pharmaceutical companies have done this is big, flashing light that it wouldn't work better than placebo and the money that it costs to bring a drug to market (hundreds of millions of dollars) would be a waste.

That's not to say it doesn't actually work. It probably does, in fact. It's simply that the mechanism of action is a placebo effect rather than a pharmacological one. In which case, the precise dosage is inconsequential unless you check the dosage before using the product and think "that's too low". It's sort of like Head-On.