Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printers

Default Printers

Printers drive me nuts! They cost so little but the ink is so expensive! I had a Dell but the ink was mail order only so now we have an HP and it works great! We only paid $120 for it, but the first round of replacement cartridges was almost half the cost at a bulk store. Are the non-brand cartridges just as good as the name ones? Are the refill ink kits any good?

Smile

I always get compatible cartridges. The money saved from two packs of cheap compatibles was more than the cost of the printer, so, after a few months I could afford to buy a new printer if the cheap inks damaged it. Of course they didn't and my last few printers lasted several years.

Not sure I'd bother with the refill kits, though. Too much mess for me, and I don't think they save much you much more.

Beware of firmware upgrades that are pushed out by printer manufacturers, though. Many of them are designed to stop the printer from working with non-original cartridges. And you can't even uninstall the firmware because the manufacturers won't provide a copy to downgrade to.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I always get compatible cartridges. The money saved from two packs of cheap compatibles was more than the cost of the printer, so, after a few months I could afford to buy a new printer if the cheap inks damaged it. Of course they didn't and my last few printers lasted several years.

Not sure I'd bother with the refill kits, though. Too much mess for me, and I don't think they save much you much more.

Beware of firmware upgrades that are pushed out by printer manufacturers, though. Many of them are designed to stop the printer from working with non-original cartridges. And you can't even uninstall the firmware because the manufacturers won't provide a copy to downgrade to.
    Agreed, don't bother with refill kits... very messy.
    For black and white I'm thinking of just getting a monochrome laser. However I don't print enough since I'm done with college and I don't need to print much for work.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by lilaznboy View Post
    Agreed, don't bother with refill kits... very messy.
    For black and white I'm thinking of just getting a monochrome laser. However I don't print enough since I'm done with college and I don't need to print much for work.
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't. The outlay cost of lasers is more expensive than inkjet, with sporadic printing needs lasers are hard to justify. That said, it is a royal pain to find that new cartridge in the inkjet is already dried up.

I got a whole set of color ink cartridges for my color HP for something like 4.00 from Amazon. I thought, what the heck. They work well. Just check Amazon for prices. You'll find something that shouldn't break your checking account.

I do refill my hp myself and the cartridges last several times longer. I use the cheap ones too, but this time I went to Walmart they only had HP and not the off brand. I bought double blacks. I do not fool with color anymore because they dry out since I seldom need them. I did print a lot of photos back when my printer was newer. I think mine was $30 on black Friday. Now I pay 28 something for a pack of black.

F.L.

I never use third party cartridges. Mostly because their color can be slightly off, which is a big deal if you print photos like I do.

Get a laser printer if you primarily print in black and white. My parents had an old HP laser printer that lasted 20 years before it had to be replaced - and if I had been there in person it's possible I could have fixed it (there's only so much troubleshooting you can do over the phone). New brother laser printers seem to be well made too, and usually have networking and wireless built in, which is handy.

Thank you for your responses. You all gave me lots of information to mull over.

Haha Because I hardly use color printers I got a laser jet printer that uses toner which dose NOT dry out and you can use it for a long time.