Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Cloth Diapers

  1. #1

    Default Cloth Diapers

    I'm looking to buy 3-4 pairs of re-fastenable cloth diapers.

    I've looked at:

    AB Universe: ABU Cloth Refastenable Diaper @ ABUniverse.com

    Dependeco's cotton and flannel diapers: all in one adult baby print diapers

    Babykins: Adult Cloth Diapers, Cloth Adult Diapers - Babykins & Kins Products

    I have no idea which kind of re-fastenable diapers I want to buy. I am looking for maximum absorbency and comfort. I don't want them to have a plastic cover since it will crack over time and can't be put in the drier.

    Lastly I need the diaper to be able to fit under my jeans just as my Bambino's do. The Bambino's bulge a little but it's not too obvious.

    I am completely lost and I have searched on Adisc to find answers. Please help me if you can.


    Thanks

    LittlePony

  2. #2

    Default

    I don't use AIOs myself, but I recommend steering clear of the ABU AIO because of its PVC exterior. A critical feature of any cloth diaper, in my opinion, is its ability to withstand the dryer. With heat. Otherwise, it'll just take way too long to dry, and so you won't get nearly as much use out of it. From the ABU site: "Do not apply heat to PVC plastic. Machine wash cold. Non-chlorine bleach when needed. Hang dry or no heat dry cycle."

    So, yeah... AVOID.

    The Dependeco diapers have a good reputation around here. They have a PUL exterior and can go right in the dryer. With heat. Bear in mind that AIOs do, in general, have a shorter lifespan than separates because the shell does deteriorate much more rapidly than the cloth portion. Still, if you're looking for the closest thing to a disposable diaper experience, this is your ticket.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I don't use AIOs myself, but I recommend steering clear of the ABU AIO because of its PVC exterior. A critical feature of any cloth diaper, in my opinion, is its ability to withstand the dryer. With heat. Otherwise, it'll just take way too long to dry, and so you won't get nearly as much use out of it. From the ABU site: "Do not apply heat to PVC plastic. Machine wash cold. Non-chlorine bleach when needed. Hang dry or no heat dry cycle."

    So, yeah... AVOID.

    The Dependeco diapers have a good reputation around here. They have a PUL exterior and can go right in the dryer. With heat. Bear in mind that AIOs do, in general, have a shorter lifespan than separates because the shell does deteriorate much more rapidly than the cloth portion. Still, if you're looking for the closest thing to a disposable diaper experience, this is your ticket.
    I was thinking about the ABU all cloth diaper with velcro, no PVC or any other type of plastic.

    Do you think that the Dependeco PUL exterior diaper will still have a short life (the outer shell)?
    Dependeco has cotton and flannel diapers, I prefer the designs on the flannel diapers. But is flannel any good? I've heard it's not any good.

    I'm so overwhelmed right now. I really want the most absorbent cloth diaper possible.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePony View Post
    Do you think that the Dependeco PUL exterior diaper will still have a short life (the outer shell)?
    Dependeco has cotton and flannel diapers, I prefer the designs on the flannel diapers. But is flannel any good? I've heard it's not any good.
    Short? No, they'll give you plenty of good use. But shorter than separates? Yes. Again, it's just a simple fact that the diaper portion lasts longer than the cover. Or the Velcro. PUL-covered AIOs are very popular for babies, and the lifespans of those diapers are generally considered to be adequate. Having several diapers and rotating them helps, too.

    I hesitate to comment on the flannel/non-flannel Dependeco differences. I'll let somebody with Dependeco experience chime in on that. I'm not a huge flannel fan myself (speaking of flannel prefolds, not AIOs), but that's mostly due to my being extraordinarily picky about fabric textures. Lots of people use flannel diapers and seem to like them. Just not me.

    BTW, if you get the all-cloth ABU diaper, you'll need a separate cover. Just makin' sure!

  5. #5

    Default

    The cotton or flannel refers only to the printed cover over the PUL liner. The inner material is all the same soft cottony material that does the absorbing.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    The cotton or flannel refers only to the printed cover over the PUL liner. The inner material is all the same soft cottony material that does the absorbing.
    Have you tried any dependeco diapers? How do you like them? How absorbent are they?

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePony View Post
    Have you tried any dependeco diapers? How do you like them? How absorbent are they?
    I've been wearing them everynight for a year and a half. I have ten of them and like them
    real well. They're my only overnight diaper. I've wet them five times with no leaks. But the
    outer cover does get damp. I also wear a stuffer with them. I also recommend wearing plastic
    pants with them until you find out what you can do as far absorbency goes. With cloth you
    have to remember the whole diaper absorbs. That's one reason there great for side sleepers.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    I've been wearing them everynight for a year and a half. I have ten of them and like them
    real well. They're my only overnight diaper. I've wet them five times with no leaks. But the
    outer cover does get damp. I also wear a stuffer with them. I also recommend wearing plastic
    pants with them until you find out what you can do as far absorbency goes. With cloth you
    have to remember the whole diaper absorbs. That's one reason there great for side sleepers.
    I thought that those diapers had a waterproof cover on them.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePony View Post
    I thought that those diapers had a waterproof cover on them.
    They have a sewn in PUL liner in them which is breathable. That's why the outer printed cover gets damp.

  10. #10

    Default

    I like gauze cloth diapers and pull-on plastic pants. The diapers can be washed in the washer with hot water and put in the dryer. Takes about 30 minutes to dry a load of 24 diapers. I also wash the plastic pants separately in the washer and put them in the dryer on low for 15 minutes with 2 or 3 towels. They come out fine also. I wear gauze baby diapers, 2 layers in the daytime and 4 layers at night.

Similar Threads

  1. Never tried cloth diapers
    By Timid77 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-Aug-2013, 00:35
  2. plastic diapers or cloth diapers?
    By zackiepooh1992 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 27-Jul-2013, 21:41
  3. ABU AIO cloth diapers
    By IttyBit in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2012, 12:49
  4. Cloth Diapers
    By iheartpacifiers in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2012, 18:15
  5. cloth diapers to bed
    By HuskyBB in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2009, 12:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.