Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering trying cloth diapers and have some questions

Default Considering trying cloth diapers and have some questions

After using disposables for a good time I'm getting curious about cloth diapers. I'm considering trying a Dependeco AIO, but I also see these and am wondering if anyone has any experience with this Etsy seller and can give me any thoughts on their diapers? (bunnie4) https://www.etsy.com/shop/bunnie4?re...opheader-name#

They look very comfy, but anyone know how well they hold up to use? Or do you think I should stick with Dependeco? I'd like to try an AIO, but I have a few questions.

1. How do AIOs feel around the waist compared to disposables. In my experience most disposables tend to be a bit too snug, since I am most comfortable with a bit of space to breathe down there. Are cloth diapers similar in this respect or do they tend to feel a bit less tight around the groin?

2. What is the capacity like? I can get three good wettings out of a Molicare. How does a cloth AIO compare? Also, are cloth diapers better for absorbing wettings while laying down? I'm a side sleeper so how well can I trust one? And can I count on the wetness staying inside the diaper once it's absorbed or will it start pooling in the plastic pants after a while?

3. How long can I stay in a cloth diaper? I assume that since the urine is being absorbed directly into the cloth that it feels very damp against the skin, so is this uncomfortable and worse for the skin than disposables? Is the smell of a wet cloth diaper worse than disposables and does the inside have a tendency to look stained over time?

4. Finally, what is the cleanup like when messing a cloth diaper? I can always just avoid this part if it's too much work, but I'm wondering if it washes out well (assuming I rinse it out good first) or if the smell and stain lingers.
    Last edited by someguy26; 30-Apr-2014 at 04:00.

A AIO feels like a thick snug pair of underpants ,don't wear them lose they'll be round your ankles
    They take a lot more wettings and you can sleep on your side no worries but wear plastic pants
    as for staying in it a long time diaper cream up first and when you feel uncomfortable change the smell can get over powering when you take them off but no real smell when under plastic pants
    When messing when you take it off wash off poop with cold water after wiping big lumps off first
    wash in a 90 deg C cotton wash non bio powder and no softener

I've been wearing Dependeco AIO's now for over a year and a half. I haven't had any leaks with them. I'm a side sleeper so they work good in that respect.
    I also recommend using a stuffer with them. It helps with absorbency. The outer cover will get damp so I recommend the use of plastic pants with them.
    It will take about six washings to get them to full absorbency. Depending on the volume of your wettings will determine actually what the AIO will hold.
    I found out over time that my volume isn't all that bad I can sleep without the plastic pants.

I've never tried AIO. For me, cloth flat diapers are the answer. I use a 4-ply flat from AdultClothDiaper. Being of the older generation, it makes me feel very little.

Thanks for the replies. Any feedback on the Etsy store I suggested?

robbw

i got some ofb the adult Super Undies bedwetter pants. They work very well although I do put a toddler prefold in for added absorbency. They are a little pricey at about $50.00. I have the 34-36" waist large. I'm about 37" waist but they fit ok. They are in the process of making xl for 38-40" and I'm looking forward to trying them. They're very convenient, I just pull them up. They do suggest not soaking them and they suggest rinsing them in the morning. I machine wash hem with hot water as per the company's reccommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    I've been wearing Dependeco AIO's now for over a year and a half. I haven't had any leaks with them. I'm a side sleeper so they work good in that respect.
    I also recommend using a stuffer with them. It helps with absorbency. The outer cover will get damp so I recommend the use of plastic pants with them.
    It will take about six washings to get them to full absorbency. Depending on the volume of your wettings will determine actually what the AIO will hold.
    I found out over time that my volume isn't all that bad I can sleep without the plastic pants.
    So, would you suggest washing them six times before using them the first time? I'm interested in getting some cloth diapers but know nothing about them.

I've had 3 years experience of them and using them but i can't say how to care for them my mum did it all
    Hey is a baby lol

Quote Originally Posted by gnd567 View Post
    So, would you suggest washing them six times before using them the first time? I'm interested in getting some cloth diapers but know nothing about them.
    After the first washing you can use right along. What the washings do is also get the natural oils out of the material.

I've used that Etsy store before. In my opinion, steer clear. Some personal problems on her side delayed my shipment a few weeks. Also, although i really like the soft lining she uses, the velcro tape is really bad. After some washings, unless you tape it the right way the velcro will rub against you the entire time. You'll need plastic pants since her diapers don't have a water proof cover. She's also a bit inconsistent in her sewing as some things were a bit off center. Then again, I guess these are all aspects of using Etsy in general.

Stay with Dependeco or other more professional sellers.