Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about homemade diapers

Default Question about homemade diapers

Um... just a quick question. In the Answers Wiki, theres a page on making a homemade diaper. I looked in the reviews and there were just brand reviews. Has anyone ever tried the homemade diaper? is it reliable at all? im running out and wont have money to buy more soon, but i dont wanna waste time and supplies if theyre no good.
    also, i just thought to ask, from what ive read, abena is the most popular brand, but how discreet are the delivery boxes? (sorry if this is should be in a separate thread >.<)

Well they're homemade...They are only as absorbent as you make them...But they probably can't compete with real diapers unless you have some kind of absorbent material that you can use that would do better

zakrawr

home made disposable diapers can't compete with real disposables.

even if u bought the super absorbent gel crystal powder, lint/cotton wool padding, diaper liner sheet, one way gauze and plastic tie around outer.

u still can't make leak guards or elastic waistbands at home or the tapes.

however a pre-made disposable diaper insert/booster can be made at home.

fairly easy too:

1 inch thick cotton wool/lint padding with a load of super absorbent gel crystal powder sandwiched in between another 1 inch thick of cotton wool/lint padding, and u would glue that together and glue a piece of one way gauze on one side, wrap a liner around the whole of it, and glue just the edges on that.
    would add A LOT of extra absorbency and bulk to a diaper.

so pretty much, theyre not even worth making?
    well, thanks for the replies. but um... where do you get the gel powder? can you get it just anywhere..? i guess ive never seen it so i dont know.

I don't think you can buy the gel...Although if you can, it's probably so much easier, cheaper, and less time consuming to buy some actual diapers

zakrawr

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    I don't think you can buy the gel...Although if you can, it's probably so much easier, cheaper, and less time consuming to buy some actual diapers
    Super Absorbent Powder - easi-med.com

it's very cheap as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zakrawr View Post
    Super Absorbent Powder - easi-med.com

it's very cheap as well.

Is it safe against skin? How easy would it be to put it into a makeshift diaper? If you're going to order things to make a diaper, wouldn't it just be easier to order the diapers themselves?

zakrawr

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    gel powder: Super Absorbent Powder - easi-med.com

it's very cheap as well.

gauze: Swabs: Gauze 10 x 10cm 8 ply BP Type 13 per Pack of 100 - Premier -

cotton wool roll, extremely cheap:
    CLEARANCE: Cotton Wool 50g Roll - BP Quality - MS First Aid -

pvc wrap around diaper cover:

SaveExpress | Sanitaetsfachhandel Save Express Oliver Weidlich Sanitaetshaus
    SaveExpress | Sanitaetsfachhandel Save Express Oliver Weidlich Sanitaetshaus

disposable liners:

Tiny Tush Disposable Diaper Liners

so all that with some super glue or hot melt glue, u could make your own extremely absorbent disposable insert pads for the pvc wrap around diaper cover.
    best diaper u could make at home without machines.

See, you'd have to order all of these different things...And who knows how many diapers you would get out of that...

oh i see. i used to have to use that to clean up chemical spills when i worked at wal-mart. but i guess it would serve the same purpose in between two pieces of cloth. add that to a homemade diaper and it changes its quality to useable at least XD
    in theory, i bet you could probably get it at wal-mart, either in Chemicals (with laundry detergent, cleaner, etc) or in Automotive (to help with oil spills). though, after paying for the gel, it may cost more than diapers. if not, then it would be a good deal to make makeshift diapers for a while and/or buff up the absorbancy on brand name ones. neat idea, ill have to check the prices