Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An update to my living situation.

Default An update to my living situation.

I've learned that I have enough money to move out. Even so I holding out for a little longer for some extra cash. This is going to be my first time living alone, so if anyone have any advice I'll be happy to have the extra info.

Hold out for as long as you can. You'll never know when something unexpected comes up when you move out and need some extra cash.
    There can always be unexpected things to come up as an extra expense when you least expect it. Deposits for utilities or internet, cable TV
    or whatever.

When I finally moved out there was always money being spent left and right. Make sure you have as much as you need before moving: Dishes, flatware, mop, broom, maybe a vacuum, toilet brushes, etc. Just look around at everything you or your mom uses on a daily/monthly basis. Go to garage sales for some things and look for sales and the dollar stores.

You can get a lot of cheap things at The Dollar Store or something similar. Collect what you can now while you're still at home and then move it with you. If you haven't done this already, make a list of all the expenses you anticipate and balance the total against what you make. It can be eye opening.

I've already thought about some of the bills. That was the main reason I decided to hold on a little while longer. I'm still thinking about the sum total for the first few months so I have time to find another job in my new city.

Quote Originally Posted by babygohan View Post
    I've already thought about some of the bills. That was the main reason I decided to hold on a little while longer. I'm still thinking about the sum total for the first few months so I have time to find another job in my new city.
    You really ought to have a job lined up ahead of moving out.

You will find that most reputable apartment complexes want to see either pay stubs or a job offer letter. There are ways that you can get around this if you know someone where you're moving who will let you sleep under their roof for a couple of months, but that's a very temporary solution.

Without a job lined up, you put yourself at risk of moving out, not finding a sufficient income source, and having to move back in. You want to have a few months expenses on hand in addition to rather than instead of a job offer in hand.

I get what your saying Fruitkitty. I'm pretty sure my mother won't allow me to go without a job in line. Her family lives the city I'm planning to move to, so I already have a support net. I'm planning on calling them here soon to see if the mind helping me find a place. I'm trying to cover my ass almost completely on this move. I really believe I deserve better than the crappy state I'm currently force to live.

From what I got so way I need dishes, utlilty money, deposit money, and a job.

If I'm missing anything feel free to add on.

Quote Originally Posted by babygohan View Post
    From what I got so way I need dishes, utlilty money, deposit money, and a job.

If I'm missing anything feel free to add on.
    Depending on how easy it is to move your stuff, i.e. whether or not you have a car, you may want to buy these supplies as soon as you have a place rather than before. Some of what you need depends on whether or not you get a furnished apartment. Most apartments typically are not furnished, and if they are, that adds to the price.

Supplies off the top of my head:

-General kitchenware, including dishes, cups, silverware, a couple of cooking pots/pans (just 2-3 is enough to get started), cooking utensils, containers for leftovers (thrift shops and Walmart are both cheap for this stuff)
    -Bathroom supplies including towels, toilet paper, soap, toiletries, and a plunger.
    -Clothes appropriate to the weather and job. Have enough to get you at least 1-2 weeks before you need to do laundry.
    -Basic, cheap furniture, if your apartment is unfurnished. You can get by with a couple of folding chairs, a folding table, and a folding mattress on the floor for <$200, and plan on acquiring better furniture as you go (first thing I'd upgrade is the bed, but beds get pricey quickly). You can get a basic desk from Amazon for <$100 and it has the bonus feature of being able to fit in a shipping box for when you take it apart. Do yourself a favor and keep the furniture to a minimum before you're established and may have to move once a year or more.

Budgeting:

-First and foremost: your paycheck comes at either the end of 2 weeks or the end of the month, but you need to pay a bunch of bills before you get to that point. There's an inter-temporal problem between when you get paid for the work you do and when you pay the bills that allow you to get up in the morning to go to work. With this in mind, you literally cannot keep the lights on without 2 months of expenses to begin with, and you really want a buffer of at least few months in case anything goes wrong.
    -Minimum required monthly expenses include rent, utilities (how many and who you pay them to depends on what the apartment includes), food, car expenses if you have one, cell phone if you have one, incidentals like laundry supplies and needed durable goods.
    -You will need money for security deposits, both for an apartment, and also for utilities. Assume that each deposit will be equal to a month of that expense.
    -You want to on top of this put aside something in savings, both for bigger expenses that happen less than once a month and for an emergency fund.
    -You'll want to budget something for entertainment to keep yourself sane, but it doesn't have to be that much. Focus on things you can spend many hours on at home (yay video games) and minimize things that involve going out of the house and spending money.
    -Eventually, you'll need to replace things that break and clothes that wear out.

*A side note: for better or worse, having a credit history in America can takes out a lot of hassle. Here, not having credit history is treated like having bad credit and will mean higher deposits on utilities and possibly delays in getting approved for an apartment or some utilities.

Don't turn down any family or friend offers of furniture kitchen wear and electricals as they are usually free and you can buy new stuff when your settled and have spare cash ,
    My brother had split up from his wife 2 years ago and only now has he got a new fridge frezzer as the first flat had one left in it so 300/$450 saved there

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    Hold out for as long as you can. You'll never know when something unexpected comes up when you move out and need some extra cash.
    There can always be unexpected things to come up as an extra expense when you least expect it. Deposits for utilities or internet, cable TV
    or whatever.
    I beg to differ

Move out as soon as you can.

Life is full of unexpected things and trying to play it 152.4% safe makes it pretty boring and doesn't work anyhow.

If you feel like moving out, and have the means to do so... DO IT.

I moved out very early (15-16)... and whilst it was pretty tough making a living next to school and stuff, it was one of the best life-experiences I've had.