Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to be a 3 year old.

Default How to be a 3 year old.

I just recently have found a caregiver. I am wanting to know more about how to be the age I am interested in being. I chose 3 years old since I would have a bit of independence but still need lots of help and love.

I need to know what my caregiver needs to do for me and how I should act. What developmental milestones would I have achieved? I have never been around real babies so I really have no idea where to start and how they act at certain ages.

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePony View Post
    I just recently have found a caregiver. I am wanting to know more about how to be the age I am interested in being. I chose 3 years old since I would have a bit of independence but still need lots of help and love.

I need to know what my caregiver needs to do for me and how I should act. What developmental milestones would I have achieved? I have never been around real babies so I really have no idea where to start and how they act at certain ages.
    Lucky! I thought I found a caregiver but I guess things didn't work out. Anyway, I don't know much to help you but I did want to say that I was just about to start a similar thread because I have the same questions you do. Hopefully someone has some ideas.

Hey there! I hope I can answer some questions for you, I have 6 younger siblings and have been involved with child are just about my entire life so maybe I can shed some light on things that would be 3 year old appropriate. now here's the thing about three year olds they really are very young and what they can do is very limited when I age play with my SO I normally play around 5-6 (kindergarten/1st grade). However there are times I feel especially little that I like to be about 3 because I like to wear pull ups and have that "still working on potty training" feel. However usually when I play this age however I play as either an advanced 3-4 year old because and ealry three year old is going to be much different developmentally vs one who is about to turn 4 even 3 1/2 you will notice a huge difference. Becuase this is an age that children are constantly changing they are always hitting different milestones at different paces. A rough out line of the developmental milestones of a 3-4 year old can be found on wedMD 3- to 4-Year-Old Developmental Milestones: Cognitive, Language, and Motor Skills If you notice is that there are a lot of things on these lists that I know personally would be hard for me to age play as like not talking very well (although when I'm feeling particularily stressed it's not so hard ). To give you a rough estimate of what these pages say a three year old should be able to speak "clearly" (I think this is funny cuz clearly is very different to some then others when they say clearly they mean you can understand 80% of what a 3 year old says if they don't talk to fast) lol either way answer SIMPLE questions this is big as a three year old they can't comprehend complex questions unless they are advanced a typical 3 year old can answer things like did you eat food? And do you wanna play or my personal favorite do you want a time out? Lol (the answers to timeout are always funny I have had some pretty out there answers). Lol speaking of one thing that is good to remember when role playing is if you have to question weather or not a 3 year old would know it they probably don't. Remember a three year old isn't even in preschool yet they are still taking in the world around them and most learning though there senses, which is why you'll often find a 3-4 year old starring at something simple for long periods of time. Because they study things so closely. This is also the age of non stop QUESTIONS! Lol why is this that way why do I have to do this why, why, why! Lol I was one of the worst offenders when I was this age, so when I role play I often ask LOTS of questions of my caregiver "daddy" for example last night we were in his car and we were about to drive back to my dorm and he told me to sit in the seat, I told him I was sitting in the seat (now I was sitting in the seat of course it was backwards but what can you do) lol anyway he told me I needed to sit the right way, and I asked him "why did we have to sit the "right way"". He proceeded to "explain why it was important to sit the "right way" (even though sitting backwards is WAY more fun) lol and how it can be harmful and illegal if we don't. Then I preceded to ask what illegal meant ect ect.... Like I said one of the best things to make it real when age playing at this age is really if you have to ask if a 3 year old would know they probably don't. Honestly other than that however it is up to you! The nice thing about age playing is that YOU can decide what you want If you want it to be "realistic" then do some research and better yet spend some time with actual kids! Lol trust me you will understand things and how to act so much better after just being around kids! however the nice thing about age play is you can also "mix match" so to speak, you can play. "Three year old" but developmentally at a 6 year old level. (Hence you can wear training pants and stuff at kindergarten/1st grade age. In all honesty there is no "right" or "wrong" way to age play just so long as both you and your partner are comfortable with it that's all that really matters. I hope this helped some and sorry of this is a wall of text. lol I hope you find what you are looking for and congratulations on finding a caregiver! I know how exciting that is! just remember to take it slow and communication is key in these types of relationships! I hope all goes well for you!

Having gone through two at that age.

Cloths are a no problem. Either wear them or not, usually one sock on and no shoes.
    Say the name of things and babbling sentences about what you see. Plus everything is funny or scary.
    They always want what you or anyone else has but not want to give you what they have. Sharing means look but do not touch.
    Do not care about your diaper.
    Run never walk and if you are a little girl your mouth/volume is wired into your feet.
    The main two phrases is MINE! and NO!, with an occasional "I do it !"
    Go until you drop, and whine about naps and or bed time.
    Last edited by egor; 26-Apr-2014 at 00:18.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Cloths are a no problem. Either wear them or not, usually one sock on and no shoes.
    Say the name of things and babbling sentences about what you see. and everything is funny or scary.
    They always want you or anyone else has but not want to give you what they have. Sharing means look but do not touch.
    Do not care about your diaper.
    Run never walk and if you are a little girl your mouth/volume is wired into your feet.
    The main two phrases is MINE! and NO!, with an occasional "I do it !"
    Go until you drop, and whine about naps and or bed time.
    I don't personally have any children, but this description sounds like my friend's son at that age. He just turned 5 a few weekends ago, so it wasn't that far back in time. Had me laughing quite a bit imagining the scene!

Don't forget the occasional tantrums, they are a classic for a 3 yrs old, best time for them is before naptime/potty break arguing not having to go potty/diaper or Pull-Ups check or change or just before bedtime. Normally tantrums happen when the little one is tired or when overstimulated and can't express themselves in correct words so they just blow up and release the steam.

wow being three sounds like a lot of work. It's why i prefer to be a very late blooming 5 year old. and late blooming is code for use diapers and bottles and pacis. I guess it's a testament to how play works you don't have to keep it realistic you can do whatever you want. I guess what I'm saying is don't limit yourself and don't go out of your way to fill a role if you don't really want to.

After reading most of the post I think I would be be more a 1 1/2 - 2yr old than a toddler. I think from our aspects as an adult it is cool to watch a child grow and learn and watch them learn. I dont know if I could be a little. I have often thought about it but I think it would be tought to think about being three and how to act like one. Like Disneyprincess said a three year old goes through a lot of changes, much like a pre-teen and being a young adult.

I like to regress to about 3-5 years old. Right now, I am wearing a Fabine, I have my turtleneck onesie on, as well as my Land's end corduroy cargo pants with the full elastic waist. I think that I need age appropriate clothing to really get into the preschool headspace. I am getting ready to have some milk and cookies and look at my dinosaur book. Maybe I will color some. I also love to watch Mr Rogers Neighborhood. I am not big on throwing tantrums, but I do like to cry, whimper , and sulk.