Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afraid of receibing Profesional Help

Default Afraid of receibing Profesional Help

Hello everyone, like the tittle say, i am afraid of receiving profesional help, i know i have a lot of troubles and talking to a psychiatry would help it, but i am terrified of them.

Up until 5 or 6 years ago i was being treatened by one, it was at least 1 time in a month that i have to go there, and evem get hospitilized for it. I really hate that part of my live, everytime i have to talk to one i feel violated and used, like he or she was playing with my mind and changing thinks that they dont want (yes, i have been treatened by diferents psychiatrist), i know that it wasnt that way, and they wanted to help but still i feel that way.

I want to change, i cant continue to be like this, but everytime i think about going to one, i just feel sick and start feeling anxiety.

I am asking for some advice, what can i do for this?, how should i tried to overcome it?

Thanks

Hello

I have been seeing therapist for 14+years now.

The first thing is to have a therapist that you are comfortable with. The next thing is to be open and honest with them.

From there if they are helping you, they will give you ideas of how to handle situations that are causing you problems.

These skills that they teach you will make life easier if you apply yourself to do the self help that is needed.

My biggest thing is to be able to get through the day without getting hung up on negative thoughts that get stuck in my head and I keep dwelling on them until it interferes with normal function. The big thing is that it takes time to stop and deal with the skills (known as grounding) and "reboot" and start over again. So in some ways I feel like I am not getting stuff done because of the grounding, but If I stop and look at what I did for the day I do see that I have gotten things accomplished. But I do not get everything done and wind up focusing on what I did not do, however I also have a bad habit of planning to do more then I can accomplish in one day, and set myself up for problems with that. I am now getting to were I can recognized the error in my plans.

The point is seeing a therapist is beneficial to you to achieve a "normal" daily function, and you will become more self reliant as the outcome.

It is hard but it is worth the effort.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmazCarol View Post
    Hello everyone, like the tittle say, i am afraid of receiving professional help, i know i have a lot of troubles and talking to a psychiatry would help it, but i am terrified of them.

Up until 5 or 6 years ago i was being treated by one, it was at least 1 time in a month that i have to go there, and even get hospitalized for it. I really hate that part of my live, everytime i have to talk to one i feel violated and used, like he or she was playing with my mind and changing thinks that they don't want (yes, i have been treated by different psychiatrist), i know that it wasn't that way, and they wanted to help but still i feel that way.

I want to change, i cant continue to be like this, but everytime i think about going to one, i just feel sick and start feeling anxiety.

I am asking for some advice, what can i do for this?, how should i tried to overcome it?

Thanks
    The other thing I'd like to add AlmazCarol... In addition to what egor said...
    Your 'normal' now is not healthy for you but, acclimating to a new normal-you will take some time... and, will be well worth the effort.

You might even want to tell your therapist, counselor, and/or psychiatrist about the feelings you have going to see them... the better ones wont tell you to just deal with it...they will want to help you feel better about getting help... they need to be made aware of your difficulties and, they can help you find ways to cope with that...

It is good that you understand the differences between what you feel, and what you know...

I want to change, i cant continue to be like this
    and

i have a lot of troubles and talking to a psychiatry would help it
    and

i know that it wasn't that way, and they wanted to help
    Perhaps, someone could go with you for support...family or friend?

Please know... in this process...you may have more troubling times but, you should also start getting much better times too... and, over time you may find the things that once upset you greatly; will be more of a slight annoyance as you get further along in your better health...

I wish you well and, if there is anything we can do to help you...we will try our best... please keep talking!

-Marka

Thaks for your advice egor, Marka, i have read them over and over again just trying to understand.

I will try to do it, and find some help, but the fear is still there, sadly i dont have a family member or a friend that i trust enought to tell them about this or want them to acompany me

Thaks for your advice egor, Marka, i have read them over and over again just trying to understand.

I will try to do it, and find some help, but the fear is still there, sadly i dont have a family member or a friend that i trust enought to tell them about this or want them to acompany me
    When my mom sent me to see a psychiatrist, I had to go by myself, and it bothered me too. I didn't stick it out for the long haul as I talked my mom out of continued sessions, but I think it could have helped me. I still deal with old demons, so who knows.

I think once you establish a longer term relationship with the same therapist, you will begin to feel better about it. All things of value take time, so take a big breath and give it another try. I hope things improve for you.

It's probably not that bad for me, but I slightly know what you mean. I need to talk to a therapist.... someday... somehow... yet I worry that they'll try to change me or tell me I'm supposed to somehow stop feeling the way I feel. Or maybe they just plain won't understand me. It's hard to explain. Anyway, I'm not sure what you can do about it, but I hope things work out!

WQhen I was over 16, I tryed to eject my kink. Too much imposible, so there's only on e way: enjoy an equlibrate my kinks with rest of my life... Wasn't easy, but not imposible. Accepted and started really enjoy my kink I've done about 10 years ago...
    Last edited by CrazySmoker; 23-Apr-2014 at 13:07.

Okay, AlmazCarol... All you can do is your best at each moment!

Please talk to your counselor about your fears of going to them... maybe, write down or print your words

i am afraid of receiving professional help, i know i have a lot of troubles and talking to a psychiatry would help it, but i am terrified of them.

everytime i have to talk to one i feel violated and used, like he or she was playing with my mind and changing thinks that they dont want (yes, i have been treated by different psychiatrist), i know that it wasnt that way, and they wanted to help but still i feel that way.

...and, give this ^^^^ the above quote, to your counselor to read, please!

Some quotes below, that may help you to reason out some fear??

Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of it.
    ~John Berridge

Courage consists not in hazarding without fear, but being resolutely minded in a just cause.
    ~Plautarch

"Courage isn't an absence of fear. It's doing what you are afraid to do. It's having the power to let go of the familiar and forge ahead into new territory."
    ~John Maxwell

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.
    - Mark Twain

“Fear is met and destroyed with courage.”
    ~ James F. Bell
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    It's probably not that bad for me, but I slightly know what you mean. I need to talk to a therapist.... someday... somehow... yet I worry that they'll try to change me or tell me I'm supposed to somehow stop feeling the way I feel. Or maybe they just plain won't understand me. It's hard to explain. Anyway, I'm not sure what you can do about it, but I hope things work out!
    Okay, if changing you means altering your automatic negative thoughts... then yes, they'll try to change that in you... because, it's unhealthy as all get out, and doesn't present you with the resources and opportunity that we all generally require for better physical and psychological health...

When you get healthy opportunity, and make healthy choices... you will...somehow, stop feeling the way you do now...

And... they may or may not understand you at first, or all at once... however... a fair bit of that is going to be dependent on what you tell them... which is made more difficult without knowing what to tell yourself... or worse... believing that you need to tell them very little...

It's not supposed to be an exorcism, or a confession of 'sins' and such like that...

It's finding out...what your problem for you is, and how to manage that... If after a few good-faith honest attempts... you are feeling like they are taking away from you... it may be time to look for a different therapist...

Oddly enough, they're human... and they can get it wrong too... some will correct themselves if you inform them of their transgressions...

Keep talking, you'll figure this out!
    -Marka

Hello everyone.
    For those who want to know, i tried to go to a therapist at my college, the first atempt was a complete failure, i was so nervous and feel so much preasure that i couldnt do anything on that day, i decided to go home and rest.
    In my second try, i could make some progress (or at least they where for me), i finally could visit the therapist, but i couldnt form a complete sentence, still really nervous, we tried to talk about college, thinks that happend in my house, but i couldnt say about how i feel...
    She told me to go there wherever i want to talk again, that was a week ago, but i still dont feel like going back there