Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: I am not.

  1. #1

    Default I am not.

    I am not very good at holding a conversation or whatever. I need a little bit of help. I don't usually talk to many people, because most of the people around can't stand me for some reason or another. So is it okay if I ask for some advice?

  2. #2

    Default

    I couldn't see the harm asking for advice.

    To throw something kinda random, yet pertaining to the thread - I've noticed that SAD is somewhat prevalent in the community. SAD = Social Anxiety Disorder. I've even noticed a general shyness, without being associated as strongly as SAD - which varies anyhow. Not with everyone, but it's there enough that I've seen it in threads and I've complained about it myself. Aaaaanyways~! I'm rambling.

  3. #3

    Default

    The best thing I've noticed from observing others who I deem very socially skilled is that they always ask questions about the other person. They ask questions with genuine curiosity. Like, "So where did you grow up?" and when they answer, they always nod and smile like it's the most interesting thing they've ever heard. Then most importantly they come up with a follow-up question, like "Wow, so is it as cold in Alaska as everyone says?"

    So basically, people love talking about themselves. Let them do it. And also, people remember little of what you say, but mostly of how you made them feel inside. So if you slipped up a few words and all, that's okay, if you are trying to make them feel like special, good, people, they'll remember that sensation of awesomeness and associate it with you from now on.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BronyPony14 View Post
    I am not very good at holding a conversation or whatever. I need a little bit of help. I don't usually talk to many people, because most of the people around can't stand me for some reason or another. So is it okay if I ask for some advice?
    Hello

    SO would you tell me a little bit about yourself and lets see how long we can keep this thread going.

    As we go along the people reading it with us will make a critic about the conversation style and we will help answer the question of why there is a feeling that people "can't stand me".

  5. #5

    Default

    Thank you for the help. Egor, that is an interesting name. Where did you get the idea for it?

  6. #6

    Default

    When I was in the 7th grade a group of us went around and anytime we saw someone had written "Fuck" on the walls or something we would change it to EgoR. Later when I was a research assistant and our study area was in the basement of the building. My lab college started teasing me about doing the masters bidding down in the dungeon, some how she started leaving me phone message on the study area phone calling me Egor.

    Years later when I was working at another facility one of my friends at work started calling me Egor and it bloomed from there.
    Last edited by egor; 17-Apr-2014 at 00:21.

  7. #7

    Default

    Oh, that is a cool story and a cool name. What kind of work was done in the labs?

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    The best thing I've noticed from observing others who I deem very socially skilled is that they always ask questions about the other person. They ask questions with genuine curiosity. Like, "So where did you grow up?" and when they answer, they always nod and smile like it's the most interesting thing they've ever heard. Then most importantly they come up with a follow-up question, like "Wow, so is it as cold in Alaska as everyone says?"

    So basically, people love talking about themselves. Let them do it. And also, people remember little of what you say, but mostly of how you made them feel inside. So if you slipped up a few words and all, that's okay, if you are trying to make them feel like special, good, people, they'll remember that sensation of awesomeness and associate it with you from now on.
    I tip my hat to this.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    When I was in the 7th grade a group of us went around and anytime we saw someone had written "Fuck" on the walls or something we would change it to EgoR. Later when I was a research assistant and our study area was in the basement of the building. My lab college started teasing me about doing the masters bidding down in the dungeon, some how she started leaving me phone message on the study area [hone calling me Egor.

    Years later when I was working at another facility one of my friends at work started calling me Egor and it bloomed from there.
    Haha! As a type-font enthusiast I am completely amused by your creativity in changing derogatory writing into a name. A reverse form of defamation perhaps. Cool.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BronyPony14 View Post
    Oh, that is a cool story and a cool name. What kind of work was done in the labs?
    I did the effects of morphine on Fetal development research for 13 months, then 8 months on pregnancy induced hypertension. I had to go into animal care from there. I worked for that place doing animal care and surgical duties for 3 years then got laid off because of budget cuts. I started at another place and it was later taken over by the same place that laid me off. I worked for them for 15 years. I did animal care and data collection for a wide range of projects from reproductive science, neurodevelopment, and virology. Also did some other projects, including things for the department of defense (so very strange things for the DOD).

    So Are you going to school and what is your field of interests?

    Egor.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BronyPony14 View Post
    I am not very good at holding a conversation or whatever. I need a little bit of help. I don't usually talk to many people, because most of the people around can't stand me for some reason or another. So is it okay if I ask for some advice?

    I totally can relate for the same reason. Also I grew up with a controlling workaholic mother if thigs where not done her way it was wrong. Needless to say I developed the attitude why try I'm just going to do it wrong. My self confidence is very low.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.