Thread: What should I expect at appointment for bedwetting

Default What should I expect at appointment for bedwetting

Over the last 3 months, I've found myself wetting the bed more and more frequently. Luckily, I've begun to use diapers, and this had cut down on embarrassment. I set up a appointment with my schools medical office, what should I expect there? (18 and in college btw)

Expect to be asked a lot of questions. Expect to answer them truthfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbannn View Post
    Over the last 3 months, I've found myself wetting the bed more and more frequently. Luckily, I've begun to use diapers, and this had cut down on embarrassment. I set up a appointment with my schools medical office, what should I expect there? (18 and in college btw)
    Well, be prepared that your schools medical office will be pretty much clueless.
    And as NateSean said, be prepared to answer a lot of "intimate" questions.

Usually GPs don't really have much of an idea aside from pretty basic text-book stuff when it comes to adult bedwetting...
    But a visit certainly doesn't hurt.
    One thing I advice you is in case they give you any medication: READ the infos supplied with the meds before just snorting, spraying, swallowing etc... the stuff... also ASK the doc' about potential side effects.
    Some of the meds used to treat bedwetting can have severe side effects. Doesn't mean it is not worth a try, but it is something you should be informed about.

Also important is the fact that in probably 75% of the cases with bedwetting in adults, if it is "secondary enuresis" (means you've been "dry" at night before you started to wet the bed again), the bedwetting is often a manifestation of other medical or psychological issues... It is rather rare that bedwetting just starts in an adult without other medical (or psychological) reasons...
    Now for the medical part I strongly suggest getting a referral to an urologist. They have the know-how and equipment the GP lacks in terms of urinary IC issues / bedwetting....
    Also if nothing physical can be found, and a session with a therapist/psychologist is suggested, go for it... they usually don't bite - and it can be stress related or something like that.

Aside from this, before you go you can start to write a "Log" of sorts about your drinking habits, sleeping times, if you wake up, etc...
    Basically write down throughout the day, what you drink, how much and when. Write down when you go to bed, if you sleep through the night, if you remember waking up in the middle, nightmares, reoccurring dreams, stuff like that. And if you wet... WEIGH the diaper... weigh a dry one, memorize the "empty" weight and then do the same with the used one... whilst urine is not exactly the same weight as plain water it is close enough to equate weight to volume.
    If you do this well in advance of your appointment and certainly in advance of the urologist appointment it can help the doc' a good deal to gain some insight... usually one of the first things the Urologists will ask from you... and if you're prepared you'll probably get more out of the first appointment.

Last but not least - look at changes in your life shortly before the bedwetting has started... be this sports accidents, stress, changes in your diet, etc... whatever, try to figure out IF there is something that has changed that might have had an influence.

Well keep in mind that according to the statistics 0.5-1% of the adult population have similar issues.

Read the article on wikipedia... whilst certainly not encompassing or perfect, it is a good start for some information on the subject... and being informed helps a lot when you have to discuss the issue with the doc.
    Nocturnal enuresis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you do not believe this is a psychological issue, then by all means press for a referral to a urologist. I also strongly recommend not taking any prescribed medication for this without first seeing a urologist. As others said, be prepared for lots of intimate questions, and always answer truthfully. At the very worst, a urologist might want to run some tests, urodynamics, cystoscopy, etc. None are painful, just uncomfortable to have someone doing something down there. Suddenly, they're no longer your privates, but your publics!