Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diapers line or Tumble dry whats best/preferred ?

Default Cloth diapers line or Tumble dry whats best/preferred ?

How do you dry your cloth diapers and what way do you prefer ?
    I ask this as I've got 3 drying on the washing line now for all to see and they look so lovely and white an I can't wait till tonight
    But they do come up fluffy in tumble but don't smell as good

I kept tumbling and tumbling and then I realized they wanted me to use the dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    I kept tumbling and tumbling and then I realized they wanted me to use the dryer.

Some things to consider:

Line-drying

Pros:

• Cheap! Sun light/heat are mostly free.
    • Stains (if you're a messer) can be bleached out in the sun.

Cons:
    • Takes A LOT longer than machine-drying, so be sure you have enough diapers to cover you while the others are drying.
    • Line-drying has a tendency to leave fabrics a bit stiff.

Tumble-drying
    Pros:
    • FAST! You'll need fewer diapers in your rotation because the wet ones can be back in action quickly.
    • Tumbling action softens fabric.

Cons:

• Uses a good deal of energy, so your recurring costs are higher.
    • High heat can damage some diapers, so you'll need to be careful. Flats and prefolds can be dried on high heat with impunity. AIOs not so much.

If you have a drier and plenty of diapers but you want to save on energy, some combination of methods might work. As I see it, one of the biggest advantages of machine-drying is the softening effect of the tumbling, though you might find that placing line-dried diapers in the dryer for a few minutes works well also. Just a though -- untried.

I have never line-dried my diapers. They always go in the dryer. I'm not patient enough to line-dry, nor would I want people to see my diapers hanging in the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post

Line-drying

Pros:

• Cheap! Sun light/heat are mostly free.
    • Stains (if you're a messer) can be bleached out in the sun.
    sunlight? in Britain?
    anyway, humidity is the key

i dry mine, and all my other clothes, in the house, mostly (because i don't like them full of spiders and bird muck; and because it's usually too cold and/or wet outside).
    not used a tumble dryer for yonks. the only one we ever had, we found in a skip.

Like in my youth, weather permitting I dry my diapers outside on a circular clothesline and when not air dry inside. Whereas mom had clothes lines in the basement for rainy days, I dry inside on a drying rack or sometimes on the shower rod. Like when growing up, my diapers are flat single layer making them easy to wash and quick to dry.

I line dry all of my AIO's inside. I've hung my prefolds outside to dry in the sun with a gentle breeze. They dry in about 3 hrs time.
    I also hang my AIO booster pads outside just to freshen them up. In the winter time with radiant heat they tend to get a little stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    (because i don't like them full of spiders and bird muck; and because it's usually too cold and/or wet outside).
    Heheh... yes, I suppose another "con" of hanging your diapers outside would be other things pooping on them!

I've always machine dried my cloth diapers, but would love to line dry. I just don't want to have to explain to the kids why there are diapers on the clothes line.

I was getting quite a bit of shrinkage drying my cloth diapers in the dryer, so I now do a combination of the two. I run the diapers through one cycle in the dryer, and then hang them up to dry in the laundry room. It doesn't take them very long, and I think it's a little more gentle on the cloth.