Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know how to get rid of mice?!

Default Does anyone know how to get rid of mice?!

Can't seem to get rid of mice in my house
    Just doing work downstairs and had to give up as a huge one ran out from under the sofa I was sat on and freaks me out.
    We live in a big city (in Scotland) in a Victorian terrace house so I guess it's pretty inevitable that they're about but we've tried EVERYTHING, had pest control round, lots of traps, blocking up holes etc. We rent so we can't really do anything major to the house.

Does anyone have any magic tips that could work??? any help appreciated
    Thanks

If you're renting the house, then it is likely the landlord's responsibility to ensure the property is pest free. I'm in Canada, so I don't know anything about your landlord-tenant laws, but here, we have municipal authorities that would order the landlord to take the appropriate action to get rid of the mice.

Yeah it is here too! the thing is she's had pest control round a couple of times, she's trying and we're only here for another couple of months so I was just wondering more about short term solutions. Thanks for your comment though I'll definitely get in touch with her and let her know the problem is persisting!

Without knowing the full situation i.e. Weather, outdoor environment, food source, life cycle, etc. I am only shooting in the dark.

Food source: Make sure that everything is in sealed tight containers. No cardboard.

Water source: No available liquids.

Nesting source: No lose materials or boxes.

Light source: Lots and lots of bright light.

Temperature: Cold <40f/4C or hot>80f/27C nothing in between.

That is messing with there need. However this is also messing with your need.

Other alternatives: A cat or more for short time or Mouse poison by the ton.

Now if you would like to know how to raise $25,000 transgenic mice that I can help you with a lot easier.

If only! I would be massively up for this but my housemate hates animals.. and is allergic haha thanks for the advice though!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Without knowing the full situation i.e. Weather, outdoor environment, food source, life cycle, etc. I am only shooting in the dark.

Food source: Make sure that everything is in sealed tight containers. No cardboard.

Water source: No available liquids.

Nesting source: No lose materials or boxes.

Light source: Lots and lots of bright light.

Temperature: Cold <40f/4C or hot>80f/27C nothing in between.

That is messing with there need. However this is also messing with your need.

Other alternatives: A cat or more for short time or Mouse poison by the ton.

Now if you would like to know how to raise $25,000 transgenic mice that I can help you with a lot easier.

Great thank you for the advice! I'll definitely make sure I have a look and see where they could be getting their food from, we're pretty careful but I heard they can survive on crumbs

Pussy cats and pied pipers lol.
    Actually other post pretty much have it. You've just got to get on top of what's attractive to them.

My vote is for a good mouser of a cat. I have always had cats and get dead rodent presents regularly by the front door when it is not winter hibernation season. Added kitty cuddle benefit too, if you find a friendly one ^_^.

Quote Originally Posted by babygirl5 View Post
    Can't seem to get rid of mice in my house "..."..."

Does anyone have any magic tips that could work??? any help appreciated
    Thanks
    It's not magic...
    Try putting peppermint oil on several cotton-puffs and place all around the house...and, keep the grass trimmed low all around the outside...

You may have several nested in the walls, and or air ducting or attic/basement...

Keep 'snap-trapping' constantly, and bait with sesame-oil and flax seed, or at least peanut-butter... If you can figure out what they're eating...use that for bait in the traps, and place where they normally travel to get to it.. Don't put the peppermint oil swabs any where near the traps... that's to keep them from coming in from the outside perimeter, and may run some out of the house...but, you'll pretty much have to kill the ones habituated in the house...that don't leave otherwise...

I know it's kind of gruesome... but, what has to be done as they are a risk to health and property... they leave urine/scent tracks, that the others follow for viable conditions... you might also have some progress using a pet odor remover spray around the inside, and outside perimeters to break this scent trail...

Best of luck...
    -Marka

I've found that a mice-chaser works.. Its a small device that you plug into the wall.. That makes a noise on a frequency we don't really hear.. Makes the mice stay away