Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FarCry 2

Default FarCry 2

So, has anyone played it?

I won't go into a huge "omg this is why this game rocks" spiel, because frankly, I don't have the energy for it! I'm curious to know who has played it, though, and what they think about it. I just recently picked it up, and while I was skeptical at first, I've been so absolutely blown away by this game that I can't even imagine why I was ever afraid of it. But let's rewind...

The first FarCry was a considerably cool game. It was a first-person shooter that featured some of the most beautiful tropical environments that had been seen in games up to that time (I believe it was put out in 2005?). You played as Jack Carver, an arms dealer in the tropical setting who gets thrown unexpectedly into a violent situation involving genetic mutation and other fun stuff. Though the plot wasn't very believable, it added some really cool atmosphere to first-person shooters, and the Xbox version even included the gradual incorporation of beast powers by the player.

FarCry 2 (from what I can tell so far) has very little if anything at all to do with its predecessor. While the beautiful, and I mean beautiful environments continue to be a huge part of the game, the plot and characters are unrelated (though I still have my ideas as to who the main bad guy is). I enjoyed the first game and the character you played, so I was afraid to see them ruin the series...

... but they didn't. In fact, they just raised the bar.

Why do I think this game is awesome? It's in the little details, the teensy things that the developers did to show that they loved this game, and that they wanted it to be an immersing experience. Let me pop out a few things that FarCry 2 does that I've not see or rarely seen in first-person shooters.

1) Healing damage in live time during combat. Seriously, who is tired of walking over health-packs and just getting all the easily-measurable health back? Me, me! I've been waiting for a game to include something like what FarCry 2 does for ages. You can get shot at various points in your body, and healing damage involves the main character needing to remove the bullet or fix his broken skin before he can successfully heal and expect to stay alive. There's something viscerally genuine about needing to hide behind a rock, bite a bullet out of your arm, and then healing before jumping back into the fray. The same goes with falling from cliffs, pulling branches out of your arms or legs, or even pushing a round all the rest of the way through the arm-meat! It's gruesome, but it's just straight-up awesome.

2) Jamming guns. The guns have lives of their own, sometimes. If you don't take good care of your weapons (or you pick up a piece of shit weapon), you suffer. The guns jam, and if you don't care for them, they jam often, and it fucks you. In the middle of a high-energy gunfight, and your AK-47 jams? The game requires you to clear the jam before you can start slinging bullets again. This is a nerve-wracking experience in first-person real-time combat, but I cheer on the inside just a little bit each time, even if I die... because it's this random shit that makes battles feel even more real.

It's even better when the guns pop slides or just downright break on your ass!

3) Propagating fire and exploding ammo crates. Other games say they have propagating fire... but FarCry 2 really does. If you set fire to some brush or launch a flare into a tree, you had better be aware as to how fast the wind is blowing or how dry the day is in the game ... because fire spreads, and it spreads like a motherfucker, leaving nothing but scorched earth and blackened trees in its wake. Not only can it help you set some amazing traps, but if fire or explosions happen to touch any of the ammo-crates in the game that you use to replenish your ammo, you'd better run, because you'll be seeing fireworks.

There's something very special about being shot at with nobody around, and then turning around and seeing bullets flying in every direction from a burning ammo crate!

So, okay, maybe those are three very minor things to make a game stand out to me, but there's more. The gunplay is outstanding, the mission-system is clever, the free-world ability to tackle any quest or fight in completely different fashions is extremely liberating. While the plot seems to suffer a bit from the wide expanses, and traveling can get a bit repetitive ... there's so much in this game to discover, and I'm going to be disappointed when the fifty-some hours I intend to put into it are through.

I'm putting my vote in for this as the best sleeper-hit game of the year. Grand Theft Auto IV and Fallout 3, for as much as I loved them, can move aside -- FarCry 2 feels like something a bit new and fresh.

the propagating fire in Farcry 2 is bullshit though. I lit a whole grass field on fire just to watch the fire spread, he went for around 300 square feet (in game) and burned itself out despite having about a quarter of a mile of dry grass left to burn.

Farcry 2 is a fun game but it's still not at all realistic, though it is more realistic then most other games, including the first farcry. Thankfully Farcry 2 doesn't have super human powers. :P

Aww, I loved the super-human powers!

While it might still seem like the propagating fire seems retarded, think about the game-world -- if you set that one patch on fire and didn't expect it to burn itself out, then you'd eventually just burn the entire game-world itself, and then you just might as well be playing Fallout! The propagating fire does much more in FarCry 2 than in most other games, and allows you to specifically use the fire to your advantage in just the right amounts.

Usually, I end up misjudging, setting a camp on fire, and then needing to run when the tree I'm hiding behind begins burning the shit out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rance View Post
    Aww, I loved the super-human powers!

While it might still seem like the propagating fire seems retarded, think about the game-world -- if you set that one patch on fire and didn't expect it to burn itself out, then you'd eventually just burn the entire game-world itself, and then you just might as well be playing Fallout! The propagating fire does much more in FarCry 2 than in most other games, and allows you to specifically use the fire to your advantage in just the right amounts.

Usually, I end up misjudging, setting a camp on fire, and then needing to run when the tree I'm hiding behind begins burning the shit out of me.
    I use fire sometimes but only really for cover. I just snipe from miles away then move in or go in guns blazing. I'll blow up check points cars so they can't chase me then I'll just blow right though there. The story of the jackle is nice but all it is is killing, killing kill, some driving here and then more killing.

I love the jackle himself but really I am getting sort of mad at the missions. How about let me sneak around some, or dufuse some bombs or something rather then having me shoot all the time or defend myself from getting shoot at.

And yes dispite all this Farcry 2 is fun.. just don't play it for a long time. Too much of anything good makes it seam bad be it Fallout 3 or diapers.

I do wish they incorporated some of the tree-traps or the under-the-building crawling like they had in the first game. I find the sneaking to be considerably easy -- the machete is usually my first and foremost weapon, and I have no problem taking out a whole camp of dudes while not being seen the whole time. Then again, I'm also the person who will go into a battle and sneak around the camp for fifteen minutes until I can pick everybody off.

Is the Jackal who I think it is, Fire2box? I mean, if they're going to connect the game to its predecessor, I imagine he's the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Rance View Post
    I do wish they incorporated some of the tree-traps or the under-the-building crawling like they had in the first game. I find the sneaking to be considerably easy -- the machete is usually my first and foremost weapon, and I have no problem taking out a whole camp of dudes while not being seen the whole time. Then again, I'm also the person who will go into a battle and sneak around the camp for fifteen minutes until I can pick everybody off.

Is the Jackal who I think it is, Fire2box? I mean, if they're going to connect the game to its predecessor, I imagine he's the link.
    I have no idea I am only just on act 2. I just know I like the jackle's style, he doesn't care about anyone though he seams to understand everyone. He also sounds familiar, like the guy from Tartino movies. Micheal something.

Quote Originally Posted by JonBB View Post
    I don't like Far Cry 2. More like Far Drive 2 amirite
    sort of.. But really Farcry 2 has really good points and really bad points like the driving for 5 mins, ambush, drive another 5 mins another ambush.

You just got to learn to deal with it and see that's one of the downfalls of the game. It shouldn't turn you off from the rest of the game though, just play it out in chucks like I do and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    sort of.. But really Farcry 2 has really good points and really bad points like the driving for 5 mins, ambush, drive another 5 mins another ambush.

You just got to learn to deal with it and see that's one of the downfalls of the game. It shouldn't turn you off from the rest of the game though, just play it out in chucks like I do and you'll be fine.
    Look man, I had a LOT of hopes for Far Cry 2. I even dressed up as the main character for halloween.

However, what I quoted is the MAJOR downfall of the game. It's highly repetitive and is only milking gameplay time by making you do monotonous missions like that. It's ridiculous.

I wanted to like this game. I really did. The malaria was a cool idea, fixing your wounds on-site makes you feel like an action movie star which is awesome but ultimately there's little motivation to keep playing the game other than finding out who the hell the Jackal is.

Also: The Ak-47 is the Honda of assault rifles. It can be submerged in water, sand, and still work with a small shake. I know this game isn't supposed to be realistic but I think it's stupid for this gun to jam every 3 seconds unless I buy it brand new. There's a reason this gun is so popular: It's widely available, cheap to maintain, and reliable. Just like a Honda.

Alright, so when the fuck did Marty pose for first-person pictures in your room? ;D

While the driving seems repetitive, it's something that I believe comes at the price of the game's free-roaming concept. Rather than need to experience a more typical linear progression, the driving is one of the reasons I'm able to assure a more self-defined mission order. I'm extremely easy to bore when it comes to games, but I find that not even the driving gets old to me -- and when it does, I stop to take out a guard post, or go off-roading (which is never something that ends well).

Without the driving sequences, it'd just be a game full of shooting, and that would seem ultimately more boring. The driving lends a specific strength to the game, letting you make the decisions you choose to make regarding how a mission will come out (will you help out the friend and fuck over your employer, or screw over your friend and get some more rep with a faction?), and while the lack of a convenient travel system (Fallout 3, anyone?) does indeed seem to hurt the game, I can't really imagine too many ways that it could be improved.

As for the AK-47 thing, I'll say this: I think it's sort've a ridiculous concept to let weaponry get as insanely misused as it is in the course of the game. I mean, if I was some type of mercenary who made a living off of kill-or-be-killed, you can damned well bet I'd be loving every piece of equipment like it was my best friend! I can understand where it would probably get immensely difficult to start differentiating between what weapons take deterioration in what way, though -- I take it as one of the necessary limitations of a game that tries to do so much. Then again, while the reliability of the AK is a novel concept, I couldn't necessarily have the ability to judge whether or not rabid mistreatment of a weapon -- no matter its reliable nature -- could cause it to be a jamming beast.