Thread: Hiya!

Default Hiya!

Hiya Everybody! (And sorry for the wall of text.)

So as you can tell, the name is Azie, and while I am physically male, on the internet, and my toddler side, I identify more as my female self, thus the name. Little me is an adult toddler little girl, still young enough to enjoy such things as snuggles, her thumb, teddy bears and ponies, but independent enough to still explore and be adventurous. This does kind of bleed over to my adult life as well, as I am quite adventurous and enjoy doing new things (and some times dangerous).

Anyways, as of right now, my main passion in life is renewable energy and substainable environmental practices. I work in the Wind industry as a quality control technician, which involves a lot of things. Anywhere from inspection incoming material components, to ultrasound analysis, visual inspections of huge blades, to climbing turbines and roping down the outside. I've also dabbled into industrial carpentry such as making moulds for metal foundries, and own a 10 acre organic berry farm.

Outside of work, I enjoy a lot of things, mostly outdoors and nature. I'm really into hunting, fishing, camping, and generally making my little slice of heaven the perfect place for me. I have two ponds situated on 110 acres, the largest being almost an acre, and recently built a cabin there out of recycled material. I also really have a passion for cooking, mainly being bold and trying new techniques and recipes. Sewing and social gaming is something I do also, along with such things as playing on a home built swingset.

I've been through a lot in life, most of it nasty and unforgiving, and as a trained professional mentally attuned to finding flaws, I find it quite easy to go down the negative path. That is my biggest flaw, I hate it about myself, but with the spring renewal, its often times easier to step back and enjoy the beauty of life, such as the frogs and birds signing, the wild flowers, or how beautiful a 50+ meter wind turbine blade is.

Anyways, I'll end it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Azie View Post
    Hiya Everybody! (And sorry for the wall of text.)

So as you can tell, the name is Azie, and while I am physically male, on the internet, and my toddler side, I identify more as my female self, thus the name. Little me is an adult toddler little girl, still young enough to enjoy such things as snuggles, her thumb, teddy bears and ponies, but independent enough to still explore and be adventurous. This does kind of bleed over to my adult life as well, as I am quite adventurous and enjoy doing new things (and some times dangerous).

Anyways, as of right now, my main passion in life is renewable energy and substainable environmental practices. I work in the Wind industry as a quality control technician, which involves a lot of things. Anywhere from inspection incoming material components, to ultrasound analysis, visual inspections of huge blades, to climbing turbines and roping down the outside. I've also dabbled into industrial carpentry such as making moulds for metal foundries, and own a 10 acre organic berry farm.

Outside of work, I enjoy a lot of things, mostly outdoors and nature. I'm really into hunting, fishing, camping, and generally making my little slice of heaven the perfect place for me. I have two ponds situated on 110 acres, the largest being almost an acre, and recently built a cabin there out of recycled material. I also really have a passion for cooking, mainly being bold and trying new techniques and recipes. Sewing and social gaming is something I do also, along with such things as playing on a home built swingset.

I've been through a lot in life, most of it nasty and unforgiving, and as a trained professional mentally attuned to finding flaws, I find it quite easy to go down the negative path. That is my biggest flaw, I hate it about myself, but with the spring renewal, its often times easier to step back and enjoy the beauty of life, such as the frogs and birds signing, the wild flowers, or how beautiful a 50+ meter wind turbine blade is.

Anyways, I'll end it there.
    Hey Azie! Welcome and Wow! That's quite an introduction. I'm not sure what to ask about first. Owning 110 acres is quite an accomplishment, I'd say. Wind energy must be lucrative for an engineer (?) like yourself. Many members here are just getting started with their careers, so perhaps you could tell us how you got into the wind industry?

Not quite an engineer, just a normal blue collar worker actually, kind of. But I do some field engineering (read jury rigging) with in the company. I'm actually a college drop out with out a degree, but have always had the aptitude towards tinkering, figuring out how things work, and coming up with quick and easy, yet good fixes. The biggest thing I could tell all the younger members is, no matter how hard it seems, go for at least an associates degree (or the equivalent in other non-US countries). It opens up quite a bit of good paying work. There's actually a lot of ways someone could potentially get into the wind industry. First would be to decide what you want to do: Erect the turbines, repair them, make the components, engineer and work more in the quality aspect, ect. I actually started on the shop for making and repairing the turbine blades. The rest just kind of fell into place when after pushing to my fullest potential, and trying to become as much of a hands-on expert as I could be. The climbing and roping just came natural later, when some issues arose, and my company decided I was one of the best candidates for the job. And yeah, its very lucrative for my area, but I also got a really good deal on my land. And I have parents that are paying for half of it, since its more family land than just mine.

For erecting and repairing the turbines, I would suggest getting into a mechanical tech program, such as small engines, welding, or if available Wind Turbine Technician/Repair courses. There's also companies out there such of Sky Climbers (I'm drawing a blank on the rest atm, Pretty tired from work today.), that are willing to train individuals for contract work under their company. As far as making the components, such as the blades, nacelle, and tower, that's a little trickier. You have to obtain some marketable skills, such as welding, mechanical aptitudes, or just get lucky. Engineering, that's pretty much the most well defined path, but probably the hardest, as you actually have to get a degree in engineering of some kind.

If anyone is definitely interested in this type of thing, shoot me a private message. I could give you more specifics.

On a side note, fun fact of the day: Iowa leads the nation with the highest percentage of energy coming from wind with a current figure of 27%. In few years, it may be as high as 40-50%.