Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished my Crib Design

Default Finished my Crib Design

Hey folks,

I have spent the last few years perfecting my dismantle-able crib, and I finally have exactly what I want. I have created a twin sized crib that comes apart and stores under my bed, or in the closet. This has changed my life, because it allows me to be a baby for a few days of the week, and then tuck it away for the rest of my week. It is proportionally perfect, the height, width, and thickness of the lumber is exactly what you would experience if you were 2 years old in a crib. The crib rails come up to your shoulders when you are standing in it. The door can be placed anywhere in the design- on the side, on the end, etc-- just like those little lego doors.

Furthermore, the design is modular, meaning you could build a twin sized crib, or a huge playpen for an AB party (with two kits).

It does not support any weight, the mattress or mat goes on the floor, so it's more of a "playcrib" than a crib, but when you are lying in it, it feels like you are in a crib, and the floor is way below you.

I want to get this out on the market, it is well designed, and CHEAP. I really think it would allow a lot of you to experience a crib without having to devote a whole room to being a nursery. I believe I can sell them for $550 ish, which also makes them more accessible than the $3000 cribs out there right now. Shipping wont be too much of a problem, because the longest pieces are only 48 inches long(shipping full sized bed rails is VERY expensive). The entire crib will fit into a golf travel bag

I almost need to do a kickstarter thing, adisc style, lol. I'm working on a website and I hope to have that up with a few weeks. Mostly though, I need a few people to try these out and let the community know what they are like.

Any suggestions on how to go about this? Maybe a heavily discounted price for the first few people to get things going? I've added a few pics of an unfinished model-- as well as a dismantled pic. It takes about 10 minutes to put it together, and 5 minutes to take it apart (in case the inlaws are coming over unannounced)-- no tools, it just fits together like a big wooden puzzle. It's even fun to build

What do you think? PM me if you want to know more, or want to help me get this out there...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140405_141839.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	20439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140405_142000.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	20440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140405_142337.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	20441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140405_143849.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	20442

That looks really cool! I like how you can take it apart to hide it.

This looks amazing! I'd love to put myself forward for testing one out, but my I'm pretty much bone-dry when it comes to money. Still, if all goes well, I'll definitely consider buying one in the future

@jagged: yeah, I know, babies are struggling out there... perhaps I will need to set up a payment plan kind of thing, because I want even the poorest of babies to have a safe place to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Ungulate View Post
    @jagged: yeah, I know, babies are struggling out there... perhaps I will need to set up a payment plan kind of thing, because I want even the poorest of babies to have a safe place to sleep
    that would be really cool to set up a payment plan, like Maby someone could make payments and when its paid for it gets shipped out. I'd be able to buy one like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyslittlewiatt View Post
    that would be really cool to set up a payment plan, like Maby someone could make payments and when its paid for it gets shipped out. I'd be able to buy one like that.
    Me too, even if it takes 1-2 yrs to pay for it in my case, I would do that to get a crib shipped to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ungulate View Post
    Actually...that sounds like an awesome idea. Considering that I plan on saving up money for something else in the middle of the year, perhaps that is something that can be possible for me

That is a really cool set-up, I like the fact you can dismantle it without too much issue, and store it away. I would totally sleep in one of those, it would really set me back to infanthood again, but unfortunately, I also fix computers out of my house, and would have little space in my room as it is to set one up, but maybe if I buy a bigger house... lol That isn't going to happen any time soon for the sake of having a "Little/AB" room to satisfy the AB in me. One can dream!
    Last edited by Waddles; 06-Apr-2014 at 07:53. Reason: spelling

I would love to help test.... But I have a full sized bed