Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How come alcohol is legal but marijuana is not?

Default How come alcohol is legal but marijuana is not?

This always made me wonder

Because alcohol was discovered and became well established in culture long before the idea of such laws.

When they tried to make alcohol illegal, it was an epic failure due to it's established foothold in society.

Marijuana is newer as a cultural fixture.

If you want to argue that alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana, I don't think you'll find many disagreeing, but it's important to understand this has little to do with the illegality of dope over booze.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Because alcohol was discovered and became well established in culture long before the idea of such laws.

When they tried to make alcohol illegal, it was an epic failure due to it's established foothold in society.

Marijuana is newer as a cultural fixture.

If you want to argue that alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana, I don't think you'll find many disagreeing, but it's important to understand this has little to do with the illegality of dope over booze.
    Im just looking up the facts on pot and it seems like there is more positive then negative the more research i have done i have also heard that it is not legal because the government does not wanna tax it but don't know how true that statement is

Quote Originally Posted by zackiepooh1992 View Post
    Im just looking up the facts on pot and it seems like there is more positive then negative the more research i have done i have also heard that it is not legal because the government does not wanna tax it but don't know how true that statement is
    The government wants to tax everything. The thing is when they started the 'war on drugs' they classified marijuana as a drug. It would make the government look bad (not that they already don't) to go back on their words and say "Ok we'll let this drug slide, but the others are still bad!"

It's basically like the government doesn't want to take responsibility for their mistakes. Although BoundCoder brought up a very good point as well.

I could care less if marijuana is legalized, so long as it's decriminalized. Drug addicts need help, not jail time.

Marijuana was made illegal by several groups that had motives that had nothing to do with intoxication. Mexicans were starting to migrate to America, bringing with them Marijuana, Black Jazz musicians were smoking it and young white kids and girls were getting hooked on Jazz music. The Mexicans and the black musicians were a threat to the older white racist folks, they needed a way to lock these people up, at the same time Dupont had invented Nylon textile, its only real competitor was Hemp, all this added up to folks making movies like Reefer Madness, and outright lies as to what happens to users of marijuana. The first lies were that it would lead to psychosis( a lie that is still used in some circles ) then it went to Marijuana will cause white girls to sleep with evil black musicians, then they switched the lie to its a gateway drug, leading to anti social behavior, and deviant lifestyles.

Please read up on the real history, the fact that Nixon had a study done that said there was no real harm in marijuana use, which Nixon burned and continued the war on a weed.

Also look up the info on George Washington's Hemp plants, which some rumors say he had extensive literature and notes on how to produce mostly female hemp plant.

Its a very long history, but the reason marijuana is illegal has nothing to do with safety, or addiction, and the money spent on law enforcement to eradicate a weed that grows on every continent including Antartica (in the research labs), that money has law enforcement addicted to keeping marijuana illegal, and that addiction to the war on marijuana has spread to private prison industries that make a profit for every person incarcerated for marijuana and that most marijuana arrests are for possession. Its a rather ugly side of American history, and sadly the U.S. has used its weight to influence countries around the world into making a weed illegal, and that our drug laws are insane, we have a drug tzar (russia had a tsar that didn't work out to well) the drug tzar's job description says that the drug tsar must fight any movement to legalize illegal drugs, also keep in mind that Marinol a synthetic form of THC the main cannabinoid that gets people high is legal, and that in many countries a spray derived from the actual marijuana plant and consists is THC and other cannabinoids is legal. The United States has labeled Marijuana a Schedule 1 substance saying it has no medicinal value whatsoever and is high addictive, yet the federal government hold several patents for using marijuana as medicine.

It will be legal in all 50 states and around most of the world in less than 20 years, one needs only look at the history and the facts to come to a more sane decision on the legality of a weed that has several thousand years of human usage including medical and recreational use.

- - - Updated - - -

much like the prohibition on alcohol the war on marijuana has only made things worse, it fuels drug cartels, much like alcohol did in the 30's, the federal government is fighting a war that was lost decades ago and they are very sore losers, admitting they were wrong may also open them up to lawsuits and a huge loss in revenue seized from drug arrests and the revenue that the private prison industry relies on.

- - - Updated - - -

The real harm done is to people though, the medical benefits are just now really being understood. The lies that marijuana causes brain damage have been turned upside down by evidence that it actually has neuro-protective qualities, has been found to cure some cancers, to dramatically reduce the damage caused by a traumatic brain injury, the pain killing qualities for neuro-pathic pain, the anti-seizure properties that has saved some children from a life that consisted of 300 seizures a day. If the research had been permitted in America, many people might still be alive, its been used to fight brain cancer, inoperable tumors in the brain, My Pop might still be alive today. The war must end and will end, the people holding on to the war shall be trampled under the feet of the disabled and sick.

For more information on the hypocrisy of the government when it comes to cannabis, look up the medical cannabis program that the federal government had in place until 1991. I believe there are still a couple of patients participating in it.

I think driving while under the influence has been a problem. There are ways to quickly determine if a driver is drunk. Police have flashlights that can detect the presence of alcohol, but not marijuana. For that you need a blood test. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to send someone to jail because they have an once of pot. At the most, it should be a minor misdemeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan09 View Post
    Because alcohol is a fat cash cow, tax-wise for the government.
    And as soon as we legalize, and then tax weed. It'll become another great income source.